Pan not working properly with Mac OSX?

Michael Briscoe

May 4, 2014, 12:59:28 PM5/4/14
to objectal-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm trying to use ObjectAL for my SpriteKit project, specifically OALSimpleAudio. When using playEffect, the pan position of the audio is either hard right, or hard left, no matter how low I make the number. I'm using  mono files, and I've tried numbers from - 0.0001 through 0.0001.

The project is running on OS X 10.9.2.

Any ideas?

Mark Anderson

May 4, 2014, 2:36:03 PM5/4/14
to objectal-...@googlegroups.com
What do you have the position of the source relative to the listener? I'm not totally sure but is there an example given in the documentation for setting up a simple pan?

-Mark

Michael Briscoe

May 5, 2014, 1:55:44 PM5/5/14
to objectal-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply, but I'm using OALSimpleAudio:

[OALSimpleAudio sharedInstance] playEffect:@"Sound" volume:1.0f pitch:1.0f pan:0.0f loop:NO];

I'm assuming that a pan setting of 0.0f is center of the stereo field. When changing the setting to anything positive (0.1f) or anything negative, (-0.1), my results are hard right, or hard left without any bleed across the right of left. This is with OSX, I haven't had a chance to try it with the iOS simulator, or iOS device.

Karl Stenerud

May 5, 2014, 2:46:17 PM5/5/14
to objectal-...@googlegroups.com
Hmm that sounds like an OS bug. It works fine under iOS (and used to work fine under OSX). I checked by manually setting the ALContext’s distanceModel to AL_DISTANCE_LINEAR_CLAMPED and checked that all ALSource objects have a valid referenceDistance and maxDistance (they do, 1 and 1000 respectively). OpenAL on OSX just seems to ignore the distance model, unless there’s something else I’m missing...