REMS in Android

nicolechung

Apr 2, 2013, 1:34:16 PM4/2/13
to object-or...@googlegroups.com
I have been having issues using REMS in Android, specifically 4.2.

Unfortunately I cannot provide a code sample at the moment.

Today I spotted this link:

While REMS appear to work when I go to this link on my Android device

The font size I am getting is totally different from what I see on say an iPhone.

Has anyone had similar problems with Android? Do you think it would be best to serve up font-sizing in pixels for Android?

Arnaud Guéras

Apr 2, 2013, 11:09:31 PM4/2/13
to object-or...@googlegroups.com
Normally rem works under Android 2.1+

Are you sure of the Android version of your device ? Have you used the default browser or another browser ?

On Tuesday, April 2, 2013 7:34:16 PM UTC+2, nicolechung wrote:
I have been having issues using REMS in Android, specifically 4.2.

Unfortunately I cannot provide a code sample at the moment.

Today I spotted this link:

While REMS appear to work when I go to this link on my Android device

nicolechung

Apr 3, 2013, 6:46:11 AM4/3/13
to object-or...@googlegroups.com
I tracked it down to an issue with setting the initial-scale to 0.4 (instead of 1)

When the initial scale is set to 1, everything looks right across all devices and browsers.

When the scale is set to less than 1, I seem to get unpredictable results between the stock android browser in Android 4.0 and the Chrome browser using rem units.

There is actually quite a bit of javascript used in the site so upon further inspection I suspect it could also be some javascript affecting the font sizing too.