Wordpress template?

Stubbornella

Jun 23, 2010, 4:38:49 PM6/23/10
to Object Oriented CSS
Has anyone made a WP template using OOCSS? I found this post today.

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/414396

Murray Nuttall

Jun 23, 2010, 4:54:31 PM6/23/10
to object-or...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Yes I've just finished building one which should be released sometime in the next couple of weeks.

The url will be http://developer.trademe.co.nz

Murray

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 8:38 AM, Stubbornella <sulliva...@gmail.com> wrote:
Has anyone made a WP template using OOCSS? I found this post today.

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/414396

Murray Nuttall

Jun 23, 2010, 5:26:47 PM6/23/10
to object-or...@googlegroups.com
I think it's pretty good if your content loaders are happy to extend your classes using the html mode.

<ul class="simple help">

However, a plug-in that allows you to add more than one class to an element would be much better.

Perhaps it's possible to install TinyMCE and add some kind of extension to it.

Also, because you may find content loaders reluctant to add a class to lists, or a div around a table, you may find this jquery helpful!

        $('.content').find('ul:not([class])').addClass('simple');

        $('.content').find('table').filter(function(){
            return !$(this).parent().hasClass('data');
        }).wrap('<div class="data" />');

If you have any specific questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Murray

Kevin A. Cameron

Oct 30, 2010, 4:29:09 PM10/30/10
to object-or...@googlegroups.com
I checked your site but couldn't find any info on this theme. Are you still developing it/is it available?

Kevin

Murray Nuttall

Oct 31, 2010, 5:28:34 AM10/31/10
to object-or...@googlegroups.com, object-or...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,
That particular theme is not available for download. I wouldn't mind letting you have it but I think my manager may feel a bit iffy about it.

I am going to be building a few Wordpress themes in future, using OOCSS (because I've really fallen in love with Wordpress as a  CMS), I will definitely make these available to the OOCSS Community.

Sorry for any disappointment.

Murray.

Kevin A. Cameron

Nov 1, 2010, 12:35:12 AM11/1/10
to object-or...@googlegroups.com
Not a problem! I'm actually doing the same - we can compare results.

Kevin

Shawn Sullivan

Sep 25, 2012, 12:41:14 PM9/25/12
to object-or...@googlegroups.com, murray....@gmail.com
Murray,
Have you developed any new WordPress sites using OOCSS? I am very interesting in this.

Eoin Kelly

Sep 26, 2012, 11:59:16 AM9/26/12
to object-or...@googlegroups.com
Hi all
I have made a few WordPress sites using OOCSS ideas. I use the grid
as-is from the OOCSS framework but I write the modules etc. myself.
It's mostly plain sailing but there are a few things you have to be
flexible about:

* WordPress occasionally has mark-up that you can't change easily.
e.g. the comment form (which is generated by WordPress core) is
wrapped in <div id="respond"></div>. You can change this but that is
quite brittle IMHO so I just relax the rules one-time if I need to
target it.
* WordPress has conventions for classes applied to widgets. Changing
mark-up here is a brittle strategy (esp. if you plan to use third
party plugins) so I go with the grain and consider .widget as the base
of a second module hierarchy.
* WYSIWYG generated content (by TinyMCE and friends) has a huge
impedance mismatch with OOCSS. In theory it's possible to hack TinyMCE
and WP to generate more "OOCSS friendly" markup but this is brittle as
1) some plugins depend on the default styles that TinyMCE applies, 2)
Plugins can add their own transformations to content generated by
TinyMCE. I just wrap anything that might come from TinyMCE in a
.wysiwyg class and use it to scope all the selectors that target this
content. This at least corrals the mischief you have to perform to
style this stuff.

I have an Sass & OOCSS WordPress starter theme 75% done but it's still
too rough for GitHub - sorry!
cheers
/Eoin/

>>> --
>>

>> --
>
> --

Eoin Kelly :: http://www.eoinkelly.info :: @eoinkelly :: Flickr

Renoir Boulanger

Sep 26, 2012, 3:12:05 PM9/26/12
to object-or...@googlegroups.com
On my side if things.

I use roots WordPress theme and extend Twitter bootstrap leveraging LESS.

It uses Twitter bootstrap markup, I modify in the child theme only what is required.

My workspace using LESS goes as follows:

- Imports untouched from bootstrap
- Other mixin libraries
- Override from bootstrap what I have to (generally only variables.less) by creating my own, importing the original, then overriding from my own.

And also,

Some set of files separated by theme

- font-styles (no fonts defined except there or variables)
- layout
- contexts (contact page, order form, a specific situation context)
- adaptations (project specific adaptations to modules, or other libraries)
- states
- modules (as suggested by smacss aproach)

With this separation, I can import from project to project modules as needed.

Hope this helps :)

--
Renoir Boulanger
http://renoirboulanger.com/