Server access from external

Nag kandala

Feb 13, 2017, 10:53:19 PM2/13/17
to obiee-enterpri...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys
Hope some of you have an idea
I have bought a server and installed obiee 12c
Configured everything
However I am trying to connect to the analytics portal from outside
Using. Hostname : 9500/ analytics kind of URL

I have disabled firewall on server and even made all the inbound rules to be allowed in advanced security section of windows 2012 server
I still can't access

I get error dns server not found from external
Network like my friends home

However I was able to access from my laptop at home which connects to same wifi network as server

Any thoughts anyone ?
Am I missing Anything?

Sent from my iPhone

Stewart Bryson

Feb 14, 2017, 12:06:29 AM2/14/17
to obiee-enterpri...@googlegroups.com
9502
> --
> --
>
> All content to the OBIEE EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Any content sourced must be attributed back to the OBIEE EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/obiee-enterprise-methodology).
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OBIEE Enterprise Methodology Group" group.

Nag kandala

Feb 14, 2017, 12:30:51 AM2/14/17
to obiee-enterpri...@googlegroups.com
sorry it was 9502 which i tried and it didnt work

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 10:06 PM, Stewart Bryson <stewar...@gmail.com> wrote:
9502

> On Feb 13, 2017, at 10:53 PM, Nag kandala <nagka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi guys
> Hope some of you have an idea
> I have bought a server and installed obiee 12c
> Configured everything
> However I am trying to connect to the analytics portal from outside
> Using. Hostname : 9500/ analytics kind of URL
>
> I have disabled firewall on server and even made all the inbound rules to be allowed in advanced security section of windows 2012 server
> I still can't access
>
> I get error dns server not found from external
> Network like my friends home
>
> However I was able to access from my laptop at home which connects to same wifi network as server
>

> Any thoughts anyone ?
> Am I missing Anything?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> --
> --
>
> All content to the OBIEE EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/).  Any content sourced must be attributed back to the OBIEE EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/obiee-enterprise-methodology).
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OBIEE Enterprise Methodology Group" group.

All content to the OBIEE EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/).  Any content sourced must be attributed back to the OBIEE EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/obiee-enterprise-methodology).

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OBIEE Enterprise Methodology Group" group.

Stewart Bryson

Feb 14, 2017, 12:32:48 AM2/14/17
to <obiee-enterprise-methodology@googlegroups.com>
go to DOMAIN_HOME/bitools/bin

run status.cmd

What do you get?

Stewart

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/obiee-enterprise-methodology?hl=en

All content to the OBIEE EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Any content sourced must be attributed back to the OBIEE EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/obiee-enterprise-methodology).

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OBIEE Enterprise Methodology Group" group.

Nag kandala

Feb 14, 2017, 12:39:46 AM2/14/17
to obiee-enterpri...@googlegroups.com
eeverything is running fine

Inline image 1

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/obiee-enterprise-methodology?hl=en
>
> All content to the OBIEE EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/).  Any content sourced must be attributed back to the OBIEE EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/obiee-enterprise-methodology).
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OBIEE Enterprise Methodology Group" group.

All content to the OBIEE EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/).  Any content sourced must be attributed back to the OBIEE EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/obiee-enterprise-methodology).

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OBIEE Enterprise Methodology Group" group.

Adrian Ward

Feb 14, 2017, 12:58:56 AM2/14/17
to obiee-enterpri...@googlegroups.com
Nah

What domain name are you using, and are you sure the A records are in place.

Also is port 9500 correct.

Adrian

All content to the OBIEE EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/).  Any content sourced must be attributed back to the OBIEE EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/obiee-enterprise-methodology).

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OBIEE Enterprise Methodology Group" group.

Nag kandala

Feb 14, 2017, 1:04:16 AM2/14/17
to obiee-enterpri...@googlegroups.com
i am using the hostname as the computer name of the server ( one which we find in my computer properties)
like i said it works well within same wifi network

but when i log into url

from somewhere else eg: friends place
it doesnt find the dns server

[...]

Nag kandala

Nag kandala

Stewart Bryson

Girish

Feb 14, 2017, 3:33:59 AM2/14/17
to obiee-enterpri...@googlegroups.com
Well you can't use your local hostname to access it from outside. You will need to register a domain name to access it that way and for that you will need to get a static IP from your service provider( or alternatively use a dynamic DNS service )

If you don't want to pay for a domain, you can access the URL with your IP address (not your subnet IP but the internet IP that you can see on your router settings) but remember that the IP can change when you restart your router or connection.

Rgds
Girish

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 at 03:53, Nag kandala <nagka...@gmail.com> wrote:

All content to the OBIEE EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/).  Any content sourced must be attributed back to the OBIEE EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/obiee-enterprise-methodology).

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OBIEE Enterprise Methodology Group" group.
Regards,
Girish Lakshmanan

Robin Moffatt

Feb 14, 2017, 4:27:52 AM2/14/17
to obiee-enterpri...@googlegroups.com
Well you can't use your local hostname to access it from outside.

This, right here. As Girish says, once outside your home network (LAN), everything changes. As well as needing to use your home IP (check out http://icanhazip.com/ to see what it is), which optionally you could set up a DNS resolution for with your own domain name, you will also need to set up port forwarding. This is so that your router at home knows that when it receives traffic sent to your home IP on port 9502 that it is to forward it to your OBIEE server, rather than your laptop, ikettle, or any of the other devices on your LAN.
The good news is that port forwarding is used extremely widely, so there's plenty of documentation on it, both the concept and router-specific.

A final note - once you open up your router to inbound traffic, not only can *you* access your OBIEE server remotely - so can all the bad guys out there, so it's on you to make sure you've secured it correctly. This is a lesson that MongoDB administrators have been learning the hard way in recent weeks (c.f. https://thenextweb.com/insider/2017/01/08/mongodb-ransomware-exists-people-bad-security/).

Robin.

Stewart Bryson

Feb 14, 2017, 11:04:45 AM2/14/17
to obiee-enterpri...@googlegroups.com
Love that link Robin: mongodb-ransomware-exists-people-bad-security

All you really need to know.

Stewart

Nag kandala

Feb 14, 2017, 11:28:27 PM2/14/17
to obiee-enterpri...@googlegroups.com
no luck so far
even if i disabled firwall
and used public Ip : 9502 /analytics

i am assuming i need to use a static IP with port forward like someone mentioned

right?

[...]

Nag kandala

Feb 15, 2017, 1:37:19 AM2/15/17
to obiee-enterpri...@googlegroups.com
guys

its resolved

did port forwarding in my router admin page
i didnt do any static IP just created a custom service and port forwarded

9500-9599 ports were opened
and this works now

thanks everyone for suggestions

[...]

Stewart Bryson

Christian Berg

Feb 15, 2017, 7:21:06 AM2/15/17
to obiee-enterpri...@googlegroups.com
If you want to have fun with that there's literally dozens of open instances being crawled by Google - even including &NQUser/&NQPassword URL parameter ;-)

Girish

Feb 15, 2017, 7:22:10 AM2/15/17
to obiee-enterpri...@googlegroups.com
LOL

--
Regards,
Girish Lakshmanan

Stewart Bryson

Feb 15, 2017, 8:44:03 AM2/15/17
to obiee-enterpri...@googlegroups.com
How do you know that Christian? 😉

Christian Berg

Feb 15, 2017, 9:31:18 AM2/15/17
to obiee-enterpri...@googlegroups.com
...and then you start changing ?bieehome for ?IssueRawSQL :-P

Nag kandala

Feb 15, 2017, 10:42:37 AM2/15/17
to obiee-enterpri...@googlegroups.com
Lol