SQL Server 2016 in OBIEE 12c and Informatica

Andriy Yakushyn

Sep 13, 2016, 2:35:48 PM9/13/16
to OBIEE Enterprise Methodology Group
Good afternoon,

Has anyone managed to use SQL Server 2016 as a source for OBIEE 12c? I'd love to hear about your experience.

In addition, I'm curious whether Informatica (9.1 through 9.6) would work - I'm sure that it's not officially certified, however, ODBC is ODBC, right?

Would appreciate any feedback!

Thanks

Andriy

Adrian Ward

Sep 13, 2016, 3:25:56 PM9/13/16
to obiee-enterpri...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andriy

Yes I have installed it several times, both on the preview and now on the full SQL Server 2016 installation.  OS is Windows 2012 Server.

OBIEE works well, on the same server.  32Gb RAM and an essential SSD.  RCU fine when the settings were correct.

It did cause a few issues when the trial version ran out, so I reccommend that you make a diary note to update, re-install before it goes passed the date.

For more details see our up coming OBIEE 12c book :)

Adrian

All content to the OBIEE EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Any content sourced must be attributed back to the OBIEE EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/obiee-enterprise-methodology).

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OBIEE Enterprise Methodology Group" group.

Andriy Yakushyn

Sep 13, 2016, 4:48:01 PM9/13/16
to OBIEE Enterprise Methodology Group
Thank you Adrian!

On Tuesday, September 13, This is very useful! Good luck with the book! You should start pre-sales on Linkedin :-)   The 1st chapter should be on patching :-) LOL

Christian Turri

Aug 9, 2017, 10:57:15 AM8/9/17
to OBIEE Enterprise Methodology Group
Hi everyone, do you guys have any updates to post regarding using SQL Server 2016 in OBIEE 12c? Have you found any issues? Any incompatibilities?

I noticed it is not even officially supported by Oracle (see here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/fusion-middleware/documentation/fmw-122120-certmatrix-3254735.xlsx). Obviously the main concern here is not whether it will work or not, I am sure most things (if not all the functionality) will work fine. But in a large enterprise deployment it's not advisable to deploy a solution which is not fully supported by the software vendor.

Christian Berg

Aug 9, 2017, 11:00:14 AM8/9/17
to obiee-enterpri...@googlegroups.com
Heard nothing on that so far.

Christian Turri

Aug 9, 2017, 2:01:05 PM8/9/17
to OBIEE Enterprise Methodology Group
OK I made some progress with Oracle Support. DataDirect added support for MS SQL 2016 on their drivers on version 7.1.6, see here:

https://www.progress.com/odbc/release-history/microsoft-sql-server-odbc

While MS SQL 2016 is not "certified" for use it is "supported" under the standard support for ODBC sources. See "ERP-Apps and Other Datasources" sheet of certification matrix:

Generic ODBC Notes:
1. Oracle Business Intelligence support for ODBC allows the Oracle Business Intelligence Server to query any relational database management system - either as a data warehouse, an operational data store or as a transactional system - that supports the ODBC 2.0, 2.1 or 3.5 standards.
2. The Oracle Business Intelligence Server supports accessing ODBC 2.0 and 2.1 compliant databases/data sources for 8-bit ASCII character sets.
3. The Oracle Business Intelligence Server supports accessing ODBC 3.5 compliant databases/data sources for UTF-16 (unicode) character sets.
4. BI delivers schema is not installed in and therefore not supported in Access database
5. For 3rd party drivers not explicitly certified by Oracle, it is the customer’s responsibility to work with the 3rd party vendor to insure compatible and functional installation of the driver on the Oracle Business Intelligence Server.

If you need need the latest DataDirect drivers for OBIEE have a look at this Oracle Support Article:

OBIEE 11g|12c: How To Obtain Updated ODBC Drivers (Doc ID 1542558.1)

Ana González

Aug 17, 2017, 3:27:14 AM8/17/17
to obiee-enterpri...@googlegroups.com

Good luck with that, I've been trying to connect to a MariaDB or a Postgress db with the supposed supported standard ODBC and I've gotten stuck and fed up with Oracle "Un-Support". They weren't even able to point me to the DataDirect driver for Postgress that DO exists, although undocumented (or hidden in some obscure note I wasn't able to find).
Maybe if you're more savvy than me (I'm not a Linux administrator and I've been configuring everything by myself with Google's help and Oracle documentation) you'll be able to get something working. Me, after struggling to configure a connection and create some silly Presentation Area just as a Proof of Concept, I gave up when the physical query generated was using OBIEE internal alias for the tables instead of the real names. I could continue pursuing it, but my POC demonstrated that every step is going to be a pain.

Joel Acha

Aug 17, 2017, 5:06:37 AM8/17/17
to obiee-enterpri...@googlegroups.com
Hi there

Have you tried changing the compatibility level of your SQL Server 2016 database?

This feature allows you to set certain database behaviors to be compatible with the specified version of SQL Server. You can find some articles here:

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/obiee-enterprise-methodology?hl=en