Please help with Opal Server error: (500) Internal Server Error

Ivy Fan

Jun 28, 2021, 4:41:53 PM6/28/21
to obiba-users

Hi,

I have been using Opal for data harmonization, and I encountered an issue recently. I was trying to use Analysis function but it seems like I did quite get the way to use it. Then I just canceled the task but after that,  when I was doing my regular stuff in R, it keeps giving me the following error:

Quitting from lines 33-46 (opal_table.Rmd)

Error: [Server error: (500) Internal Server Error] RuntimeException, org.obiba.magma.js.MagmaJsRuntimeException: Cannot convert value '11.0,11.0' to type 'decimal'

The error numbers changes sometimes, from ‘11.0,11.0’ to ’12.0, 12.0’ for example. It only happens to this particular data table. The Opal portal and other data tables looks good as usual. I even tried to delete and build a new dataset, but it still gave me the same kind of error message. Could you help me to figure it why and how should I solve it?

Thanks,

Wenyi

Yannick Marcon

Jun 29, 2021, 3:22:37 AM6/29/21
to obiba...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Apparently you are trying to convert a text value to a decimal one, but this text value '11.0,11.0' does not represent a number. Thus the error. To help you with identifying the problem with the underlying dataset, you can use the SQL interface with the appropriate select-from-where query.

Regards
Yannick

Ivy Fan

Jun 29, 2021, 3:26:08 PM6/29/21
to obiba-users
Hi,

I realized the issue occurs because I have a harmonized data table coming from two referenced tables. The two referenced data tables have a set variables in common  with the same variable names. When I was harmonizing the variables, Opal concatenates the two raw variables with the same names into one and made it a text variable. Thanks for your help!

Thanks,
Wenyi

Yannick Marcon

Jun 30, 2021, 4:09:29 PM6/30/21
to obiba...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

When a view refers to two tables having a variable with the same name, the resulting derived variable's internal value is a sequence of values (one value per referred table). If this derived variable is to be coerced to a single value (i.e. the variable is not a "repeated" one), the default behavior of Opal is to reduce this value sequence to its first not null value. So normally you should have had '11.0' instead of '11.0,11.0'. Then I guess that you did additional transformations that led to this csv-like text result.

Yannick