rserver error after OS upgrade

Tom Bishop

May 7, 2021, 6:17:26 AM5/7/21
to obiba-users

Hi,

I have recently updated our servers to Ubuntu 18, and after doing this rserver won't start. The error in  stdout.log is:

Error: Could not find or load main class org.obiba.rserver.Application

Do I need to reinstall it?

Thanks

Tom

Yannick Marcon

May 7, 2021, 6:29:20 AM5/7/21
to obiba...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Check java version, maybe it was upgraded: java -version
Is this the legacy rserver application or the rock one?

Yannick

Tom Bishop

May 7, 2021, 6:46:42 AM5/7/21
to obiba-users
Hi Yannick,

Thanks for the quick response

I get:

java version "1.8.0_131"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.131-b11, mixed mode)

It is the legacy rserver, so I was thinking that I could upgrade if all else fails....

Tom

Yannick Marcon

May 7, 2021, 7:26:58 AM5/7/21
to obiba...@googlegroups.com
If you have Opal 4.x, yes it is preferable to switch to rock.

Tom Bishop

May 7, 2021, 8:19:09 AM5/7/21
to obiba-users
ok, I will give that a try. Good opportunity to learn :)

Yannick Marcon

May 7, 2021, 8:49:44 AM5/7/21
to obiba...@googlegroups.com
If you want to learn, I have also prepared a docker image that is datashield-ready (dsBase preinstalled): datashield/rock-base (an extension of image obiba/rock)

Docker instructions:

Similarly you can prepare your own docker image, if you need more R server side packages pre-installed. No more R base install to manage, and easier upgrade + better installation reproducibility.

Yannick

Tom Bishop

May 7, 2021, 11:01:47 AM5/7/21
to obiba-users
Great! Thank you.

To begin with, because our installations are standalone, I have installed non-Docker Rock.

I have tried to find answers to my questions in the documentation, but there are still a couple of things I need help understanding:

- I expected the stdout.log to be the equivalent of /var/lib/rserver/logs/Rserve.log, but it isn't! Is there an equivalent for Rock?
- I don't see any DataSHIELD packages listed in Administration/DataSHIELD, although the methods are listed in the sections below and can be called. I can see on the opal-demo server that these are reported correctly. What I have done wrong?

More general question:

- If I created one docker for Rock with dsBase v6.1 and another with dsBase v6.2, how do you define which one a user gets assigned to? I guess the same question about the load balancing, how are users assigned to particular Rocks? Is this to come in Opal in the form of profiles?

Thanks

Tom

Tom Bishop

May 7, 2021, 11:34:14 AM5/7/21
to obiba-users
I can see in my Opal log I have:

 16:33:15,450 [qtp230816477-178] ERROR org.obiba.opal.r.rock.RockService - Error when reading installed DataSHIELD packages

Yannick Marcon

May 7, 2021, 11:36:08 AM5/7/21
to obiba...@googlegroups.com
* rock (and legacy rserver) is a java process (rock.log/rserver-admin.log + stdout.log) that drives a R process (Reserve.log)
* opal does not extract the DS config from the R server at every request: it is stored in opal and it is sync when a package is installed or removed. In your case the R server was removed outside of Opal's control. Settings will be updated when you will reinstall the packages.
* different versions will be handled with the DS profiles. For now opal connects to a single cluster of R servers, that are assumed to be identical, and does the load balancing between these. Will look like this:

image.png

Yannick Marcon

May 7, 2021, 11:38:03 AM5/7/21
to obiba...@googlegroups.com
Normally there is a stack trace that comes with this error message.

Tom Bishop

May 7, 2021, 11:46:56 AM5/7/21
to obiba-users
Ah yes here is the full message, attached. I think it must be a networking issue as I cannot browse to http://localhost:8085. So that is why there is a 400 error?
error.txt

Yannick Marcon

May 7, 2021, 11:51:59 AM5/7/21
to obiba...@googlegroups.com
Are opal and rock on the same host ?

Yannick Marcon

May 7, 2021, 12:10:23 PM5/7/21
to obiba...@googlegroups.com
I guess they are, otherwise you would not see it in Opal.
The bad request error can be the result of a failing R command (it takes several of them to scan the datashield-compatible packages). Do you have anything in the Rserve.log?

Tom Bishop

May 7, 2021, 12:26:13 PM5/7/21
to obiba-users
yes they are on the same host.

The Rserve.log is quite large (attached), I can see some errors but not yet understand them
Rserve.log

Yannick Marcon

May 7, 2021, 1:57:55 PM5/7/21
to obiba...@googlegroups.com
This is the usual R package installation verbosity... The error message at the end may indicate that you should restart the R server (to flush loaded libraries from memory): Administration > R > R Servers and then Stop + Start.

Message has been deleted

Yannick Marcon

May 7, 2021, 3:25:28 PM5/7/21
to obiba...@googlegroups.com
Strange. The issue you had with the legacy rserver is still there. There is something broken in your system. Another good reason to use a containerized R server.

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 8:58 PM Tom Bishop <Tom.B...@mrc-epid.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
Hmmm, I thought I would just restart the server, but now Rock does not come back up. In stdout.log I have:

       .:: OBiBa Rock R server ::.

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option MaxPermSize=128M; support was removed in 8.0
Error: Could not find or load main class org.springframework.boot.loader.JarLauncher
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option MaxPermSize=128M; support was removed in 8.0
Error: Could not find or load main class org.springframework.boot.loader.JarLauncher

and in the rock.log it looks like it shut down a while ago...

Tom Bishop

May 7, 2021, 3:32:40 PM5/7/21
to obiba-users
I have managed to fix that*... so now I am back to where we were before with the 400 bad request problem. The stopping and starting the Rserver did not help.

* When I tried to install curl, it asked for libcurl4. When I installed that I missed that it had uninstalled rock! There is something odd with the dependencies on the system.

Yannick Marcon

May 7, 2021, 3:39:59 PM5/7/21
to obiba...@googlegroups.com
I noticed that R is quite old: 3.6.3

The R error was:

Error in strsplit(pp, ",") : non-character argument

Is it still the case?

Tom Bishop

May 7, 2021, 3:46:14 PM5/7/21
to obiba-users
yes that is correct

Yannick Marcon

May 7, 2021, 3:53:32 PM5/7/21
to obiba...@googlegroups.com
parallel is not a direct dependency; maybe try to reinstall this package

Tom Bishop

May 7, 2021, 5:15:59 PM5/7/21
to obiba-users
OK. I have taken the plunge and am upgrading to R v4.0.5. This has fixed the problem with the DS packages not being visible. I am just working through updating all the packages that stop dsBase working properly.... it's taking a while

Of course, it would be better to have this in a containerised set up. It is probably less painful to move all the data over...

Thanks for your help!

Tom