Opal questions

Ricardo Cavalheiro

May 29, 2024, 5:49:30 PMMay 29
to obiba-users
Hello,

I was having some doubts regarding Opal.
I am trying to set up a development environment with Opal but I am currently struggling.
I figured out the Java sdk version to use, but  I have some questions:
How should i run opal in a development environment?
Can I run separately the frontend and backend?
Can I use Docker to help me with building problems? If so, can you share with me a template Dockerfile?

Thank you for your attention,
Ricardo Cavalheiro

Yannick Marcon

May 30, 2024, 2:22:55 AMMay 30
to obiba...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The dev version of opal is in the "master" branch. FYI we are currently making major changes due to the migration to java 21.

* To build the application, just run "make all" (javac 21 required).
* To run the application, you'll need a opal home folder, see "make prepare" (you can use the obiba-home repo to get some default datasets), then run "make debug".
* To run the frontend separately, modify CORS policy by editing the opal_home/conf/opal-config.properties file and adding the line "cors.allowed=*". Then go to the folder opal-ui and run "npm run dev". If you are developing your own frontend app, connect to the rest web services located at http://localhost:8080/ws

You can also use a Docker environment, see the "dev" branch of docker-opal, there is a Makefile, and default docker compose.

Regards
Yannick