[Obi-protocol-application-branch] Study design execution and performance

Alan Ruttenberg

Jan 25, 2009, 12:51:41 AM1/25/09
to Bjoern Peters, obi-rol...@lists.sourceforge.net, obi-protocol-ap...@lists.sourceforge.net
For reasons that I don't quite understand yet, dropping the has_part
axioms on Study design execution increase Pellet reasoning performance
by a factor of 10.

I'd like to drop them for the moment. Perhaps put them in a comment
and return to them after we've figured out what the deal is.

In reviewing terms nearby I also noticed:

'study participant role' is_concretization_of some 'study design'

I don't think that's right, though it's a bit squishy to put my finger
on it. I think it's because the concretization of a gdp is a kind of
copy of it, and the concretization happens in the entity that has the
copy.

-Alan

Bjoern Peters

Jan 25, 2009, 6:44:40 PM1/25/09
to Alan Ruttenberg, obi-rol...@lists.sourceforge.net, obi-protocol-ap...@lists.sourceforge.net
Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
> For reasons that I don't quite understand yet, dropping the has_part
> axioms on Study design execution increase Pellet reasoning performance
> by a factor of 10.
>
> I'd like to drop them for the moment. Perhaps put them in a comment
> and return to them after we've figured out what the deal is.

Ok with me.

> In reviewing terms nearby I also noticed:
>
> 'study participant role' is_concretization_of some 'study design'
>
> I don't think that's right, though it's a bit squishy to put my finger
> on it. I think it's because the concretization of a gdp is a kind of
> copy of it, and the concretization happens in the entity that has the
> copy.

Agreed.

Fostel, Jennifer (NIH/NIEHS) [C]

Jan 26, 2009, 8:59:10 AM1/26/09
to Bjoern Peters, Alan Ruttenberg, obi-rol...@lists.sourceforge.net, obi-protocol-ap...@lists.sourceforge.net
we have been working on this for some time. the study participant role
is defined by the study design. i needed a process for
realizing-role-defined-in-study-design and we came up with
is_concretization_of. other suggestions are welcome!! we just do not
want to have multiple parallel heirarchies in OBI -- a set of roles with
parallel processes with parallel designs.

Obi-role-branch mailing list
Obi-rol...@lists.sourceforge.net

Bjoern Peters

Jan 26, 2009, 10:42:15 AM1/26/09
to Fostel, Jennifer (NIH/NIEHS) [C], obi-rol...@lists.sourceforge.net, obi-protocol-ap...@lists.sourceforge.net
I thought what we wanted to have is:

study participant is_realized_in only (is_concretization_of some study
design)

- Bjoern

Fostel, Jennifer (NIH/NIEHS) [C]

Jan 26, 2009, 10:44:04 AM1/26/09
to Bjoern Peters, obi-rol...@lists.sourceforge.net, obi-protocol-ap...@lists.sourceforge.net
i agree; but we were seeing a question from Alan

Bjoern Peters

Jan 26, 2009, 11:00:17 AM1/26/09
to Fostel, Jennifer (NIH/NIEHS) [C], obi-rol...@lists.sourceforge.net, obi-protocol-ap...@lists.sourceforge.net
The question was about the direct relation between study design and the
study participant role. I believe what Alan wants is the more
complicated version, which by the way I screwed up:

study participant role is_realized_in only (realization_of (is_concretization_of some study
design))

Which we can now short cut with:

study participant role is_realized_in only 'study design execution'

Fostel, Jennifer (NIH/NIEHS) [C]

Jan 26, 2009, 12:22:45 PM1/26/09
to Bjoern Peters, obi-rol...@lists.sourceforge.net, obi-protocol-ap...@lists.sourceforge.net
thanks! i will make that change.