[Obi-protocol-application-branch] Call tomorrow - merge of objective driven process and protocol application with planned process

Bjoern Peters

Jan 21, 2009, 9:13:06 PM1/21/09
to obi-protocol-ap...@lists.sourceforge.net
The call tomorrow is on. We have as a major remaining action item core
terms #7 and #8. The following is a proposal summarizing several
previous discussions and incorporating feedback from Alan. If possible,
please review before the call tomorrow.

7. objective driven process, planned process, and protocol application
status: not done. suggestion to merge two or more
8. objective specification, plan specification status: not done.
includes the concretization and realization relationships

The reason for the desired merge of objective driven process, planned
process and protocol application is that they are hard to keep apart by
both reasoners and humans. Here are the classes, including updated
definitions:

planned process

A planned process is the realization of a concretized plan borne by an
agent that initiates this process in order to bring about the
objective(s) specified as part of the plan specification.

editor note:We are only considering successfully completed planned
processes. A plan may be modified, and details added during execution.
For a given planned process,the associated realized plan specification
is the one encompassing all changes made during execution. This means
that all processes in which an agent acts towards achieving some
objectives is a planned process.

concretized plan
A concretized plan is a realizable entity that is the concretization of a
plan specification. It inheres in a bearer who is committed to realizing it.

editor note: This class is included to make clear what the difference
between the plan specification and the concretized plan specification
is. OBI will however only subclass and work under the 'plan
specification' class, as we want to avoid to get deep into discussions
of 'intend' etc.

plan specification
A plan specification is an information entity about a realizable
entity. The specification includes parts such as objective
specification, action specifications and conditional specifications.
When concretized it is realized in a process in which the bearer tries
to achieve the objectives, in part by taking the actions specified.

objective specification
An objective specification is an information entity about a part of a realizable
entity. Objective specifications describe a intended process endpoint.
When concretized as part of a plan specification, it is realized in a process in which the bearer tries
to effect the world so that the process endpoint is achieved.

Hierarchy:

information content entity
'information entity about a realizable and its parts'
plan specification
objective specification
conditional specification
action specification (currently: all utilizes device relations)
realizable entity
concretized plan
process
planned process

Bjoern Peters

Jan 21, 2009, 9:42:52 PM1/21/09
to obi-protocol-ap...@lists.sourceforge.net
Addendum to this: Currently the data transformation branch uses the 'has
objective' relation, which is not linked to the below.

I propose to modify the label for 'has objective' to 'achieves objective
specification'. Domain: 'planned process', range 'objective
specification'. It is then a shorthand relation for

process achieves_objective_specification' some X
=>
process realizes some (is_concretization_of some (plan_specification
has_part some X))

- Bjoern

Clancy, Kevin

Jan 21, 2009, 11:21:28 PM1/21/09
to Bjoern Peters, obi-protocol-ap...@lists.sourceforge.net

Bjoern - will this be on Skype or Centra?
Has a summary of the workshop been posted to the web site from the meeting?
Thanks
kevin

Kevin Clancy, PhD
Senior Scientist
Invitrogen Corp
5791 Van Allen Way
Carlsbad CA 92008
phone: 760 268 8356
cell: 240 417 8604
email: kevin....@invitrogen.com

Bjoern Peters

Jan 22, 2009, 11:10:28 PM1/22/09
to obi-protocol-ap...@lists.sourceforge.net
In todays call, we worked on
plan specification, objective specification, (concretized) plan and
planned process.

- It was decided to merge objective driven process, planned process and
protocol applications into one (planned process), as the difference is
hard to maintain on the process level. AI for MC to report about usage
of each term in the ontology to assess impact of obsoletion. AI for BP
to do the obsoletion.

- Alan had a number of additions to the proposal below, specifically
that he wants the possibility for objectives to be realized, and the
possibility for plans that are not concretizations of plan
specifications. However, we all agree that for OBI we are fine to deal
only with planned processes that are realizations of conretized plan
specifications which have objective specifications as their parts.

- updates were committed to svn apart from those that go to IAO.

- the slides on the google docs have been udpated. please take a look,
or let me know if you need access.

- Bjoern

Bjoern Peters

Jan 28, 2009, 10:28:19 PM1/28/09
to obi-protocol-ap...@lists.sourceforge.net
Call tomorrow will happen as usual. We will be dealing with the last
core term, 'material separation', and if we have time with 'dependent
terms'
that were not in the core term list, but are referenced in their
definitions.

- Bjoern