core terms: study design

Chris Stoeckert

Jan 15, 2009, 3:16:13 PM1/15/09
to obi-denr...@googlegroups.com
Study design is also a core term for the Plan and Planned Process
Branch and they have approved it.

Study design is a plan specification and is about some realizable
entity.
It is defined as A formal description of the constraints on the
possible configurations of an experiment which is subject to given
conditions. A design is sometimes called an experimental design.
source:http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Design.html\nEditor Note: Philippe
Rocca-Serra added this; Description of how an experiment is performed.
Experiments are designed by applying applications to biomaterials in
an ordered fashion. Applications define protocols which are used to
moving biomaterial through a series of manipulations to generate one
or more desired products. methods describe the particulars of the
manipulation, reagents and associated materials used in the
manipulation of the biomaterial.

Seems fine to me.

Chris

Fostel, Jennifer (NIH/NIEHS) [C]

Jan 15, 2009, 3:17:44 PM1/15/09
to obi-denr...@googlegroups.com
we in the role branch are using this term, so we'd like to know if it
changes :-)

Bjoern Peters

Jan 15, 2009, 3:21:58 PM1/15/09
to obi-denr...@googlegroups.com
Chris, that definition is a bit outdated. I just checked, and
unfortunately I apparently made a mistake and put the definition under
'definition source'. That reads:

A study design is a plan comprising of protocols and/or data
transformations that are executed as part of an investigation. The
objective of the study design is to produce results (information). The
study design specifies how the different data produced in the execution
of the investigation are related, how they are interpreted, and what are
the desired results.

- Bjoern

--
Bjoern Peters