making a #hash of things...

Gene

Jan 16, 2015, 2:36:28 PM1/16/15
to oakla...@googlegroups.com
I re-noticed that we've got some pages on Oakland Wiki that start with a hash or number sign, '#'. Unfortunately, since this means something in HTML (anchor target), when there's a link to one of those pages it doesn't work. For example, you can't go to the page https://oaklandwiki.org/#oakmtg because it's interpreted as an anchor target on the home page.

I'm not sure if there's a plan to deal with this. Disallowing # would be no fun, but auto-mapping # to the Unicode equivalent or something might make it so you couldn't use anchors as part of a link. Thoughts?

gene

Mike Linksvayer

Jan 16, 2015, 2:52:58 PM1/16/15
to oakla...@googlegroups.com
English Wikipedia simply omits the # from page title, and uses a template (but that's just a convenience/implementation detail/not necessary) to indicate full title at the top of each affected article, eg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YesAllWomen

I think that's just fine (as opposed to no fun :)).

Mike

Gene Anderson

Jan 16, 2015, 2:57:15 PM1/16/15
to oakla...@googlegroups.com
That'd work. The code for (re-)naming pages should disallow # in the name, then. And I don't know how to get to the pages that have already been named that way like #oakmtg...

gene

Mike Linksvayer

Jan 16, 2015, 3:02:12 PM1/16/15
to oakla...@googlegroups.com
https://oaklandwiki.org/%23oakmtg

But IMO makes sense to disallow # in page titles, as accessing resulting page is rather non-intuitive.

Mike

Mike Linksvayer

Jan 16, 2015, 3:04:18 PM1/16/15
to oakla...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, meant to also say: if allowed (as now), the localwiki software ought to be urlencoding all article links so that they work internally, even if there's no intuitive way to type them in.

Gene Anderson

Jan 16, 2015, 3:07:04 PM1/16/15
to oakla...@googlegroups.com
Especially since you need to change to %23 for each step of the process (i.e., _edit, _rename, etc.)

gene

Julio Rios

Jan 16, 2015, 3:29:50 PM1/16/15
to oakla...@googlegroups.com, Philip Neustrom

We noticed last night that LW doesn't handle # when it is in the middle of a page title either.  For example, I don't know how to access the pages for Unknown Officer #5, etc.

https://localwiki.org/oakland/tags/policemisconduct

Gene Anderson

Jan 16, 2015, 3:41:17 PM1/16/15
to oakla...@googlegroups.com, Philip Neustrom
I renamed those pages to remove the #.

If you need to do it for other pages, copy the URL of the page in question, paste it into the address bar, change "#" to "%23", and append "/_rename".

gene

Julio Rios

Jan 21, 2015, 3:19:00 PM1/21/15
to oakla...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to say: Thanks for fixing these Gene!