Sept. 13 Meeting: New map tool, bike party planning, and more!

Marina Kukso

Sep 15, 2012, 5:12:16 PM9/15/12
to oakla...@googlegroups.com, oakland...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Thanks for coming to our first Thursday meeting!

We developed the Longfellow neighborhood community page, built a totally awesome KML map importer tool, and a whole lot more!

Full notes are at http://www.oaklandwiki.org/Team_OaklandWiki/Meetings/September_13 and also below.

Couple upcoming important items: we've been invited to present about Oakland Wiki at the OPL Teen Librarians monthly meeting the morning of Sept. 21st. we've also been invited to give an editing workshop to youth involved with OPL Youth Leadership Council. Would anyone be interested in either of these (I can't make the 21st and may not be able to make the workshop, depending on when it is)?

Also, Victoria wants to lead planning our first bike tour event! If you want to be a part of this, respond to the list!

Best,
Marina

Full Notes:

Team OaklandWiki Geographers

Need a nice fatty hella epic photo for the front page.

  • Suggestion: use photosynth?

Bike Parties

  • Victoria is interested in organizing bike parties! If you would like to help organize a bike party, please email the list!
  • Bike party tasks:
    • Set a date
    • make an invite page, publicize, etc.
    • Pick a theme/split the map into sections that we can assign to people
    • Instructions? What should people take pictures of? What defines a landmark?
    • pick an app/service - ushahidi?
    • have everyone meet back up at sudo or other location where we will all upload the photos and have food. (*will also need instructions for how will people note what they're taking pictures of and where it is and easy instructions for uploading photos to wikimedia for people who have to leave!) **can also use http://i-am-cc.org

Oakland Public Library

  • Met with very cool youth librarians at the Teen Zone in the main branch of OPL.
  • They are enthusiastic about Oakland Wiki and have their own directories!
  • They will have an intern and are interested in possibly having the intern work on Oakland Wiki content.
  • They are flexible about hosting events - if any of us wanted to have an event at a Teen Zone in OPL, we can contact Brian!
  • ***They have a monthly meeting for all Teen Zone librarians. This month's meeting is the morning of Sept. 21st. Would anyone like to attend and chat about Oakland Wiki? Super casual! (Time would be at 9AM sharp or 10:30AM.

OPL Youth Leadership Council

  • Gave a presentation on OakWiki at the monthly (third Sat. of every month) meeting of the OPL Youth Leadership Council.
  • All of the youth were super interested in Oak Wiki and want to be more involved! We even got one youth who is interested in joining the Dev team.
  • They would like us to come back and do a workshop on editing the wiki and brainstorming how to build the Youth Portal - may need a volunteer to do this!
  • One of the youth is involved with Youth Radio and would like to do a piece on OakWiki! YAY!

Julio Rios

Sep 16, 2012, 4:04:45 PM9/16/12
to oakla...@googlegroups.com, oakland...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marina,

Thanks for sending the notes.
I didn't really expect the new front page photo to be in photosynth, but I did propose doing both, possibly as part of a larger bike [photo taking] party.

We've started tagging some photos with #oaklandwiki for possible later addition to neighborhood pages and such.  They're all marked cc with Philip's new tool: http://i-am-cc.org/
That may be easy enough to do for those of us that would just use our phones to take photos.

Won't be able to make it to any meetings until early October, but I'll keep track of conversations and meeting notes.

Thanks
Julio

Marina Kukso

Sep 16, 2012, 4:11:26 PM9/16/12
to oakla...@googlegroups.com, oakland...@googlegroups.com
Hey Julio,

That's a great idea! For people who aren't familiar, Philip (from localwiki) created an awesome tool that lets you automatically add a CC license to any photos you share on instagram: http://i-am-cc.org/ If you use instagram and take pictures of Oakland, it would be awesome if you 1) shared them under a CC Attribution License (this is the license that will allow you to post your photos on the wiki) and 2) tag them with #oaklandwiki so we can find them later.

I also encourage everyone to check out our new list and map of Oakland's neighborhoods. Check your own neighborhood to make sure that the names, borders, etc. look good and feel free to start adding information! http://oaklandwiki.org/neighborhoods

I am traveling to a conference on Sept. 20th so won't be able to make the next couple meetings, but I will see you all soon.

Best wishes,
Marina

Matthew Senate

Sep 17, 2012, 12:28:50 AM9/17/12
to oakland...@googlegroups.com, oakla...@googlegroups.com

Marina Kukso

Sep 17, 2012, 12:49:26 AM9/17/12
to oakland...@googlegroups.com, oakla...@googlegroups.com, Gene Anderson
Hi everyone,

I've added all of these KMLs to the Oakland Wiki Geographers page (and a couple more). If you find KMLs that would be good to import, please email the dev list to get it imported (it would also be helpful to add the map to the list of maps on the Geographers page).

- Marina

Gene Anderson

Apr 16, 2017, 2:50:11 PM4/16/17
to OaklandWiki Dev, oakla...@googlegroups.com
Any chance I can get the KML map importer tool? There are still a number of non-trivial maps I have in KML that I'd like to import into the Oakland Wiki, e.g., city council districts, city planning areas, etc.

thanks,
gene

Marina Kukso

Apr 16, 2017, 3:47:31 PM4/16/17
to oakla...@googlegroups.com, localwik...@googlegroups.com, OaklandWiki Dev
i don't know if a kml importer exists in any functional state. i've
copied the localwiki list to see if anyone else knows.

- marina