unable to block an IP address

Gene

May 19, 2016, 10:41:18 PM5/19/16
to OaklandWiki
Someone is being a pain doing bogus edits on an Oakland Wiki page. I attempted to ban their IP address (208.74.177.146), but got the following error:

Looks like something went wrong and we're unable to display the page you requested.

Please try again in a few minutes.

I tired this from both oaklandwiki.org and localwiki.org/oakland

The page in question is: https://oaklandwiki.org/Miguel_Masso

thanks,
gene

Philip Neustrom

May 20, 2016, 12:14:35 AM5/20/16
to oakla...@googlegroups.com
Hey Gene!

You can actually only ban a user account as a regular LocalWiki admin, but I've just set you as a global LocalWiki admin, which should enable this.  The ban process is a bit different for an IP, see the guide over here--

Please make sure your LocalWiki account has a strong & unique password! As a global admin, you can permanently delete revisions (not something that's usually warranted, but occasionally important if there's strong consensus around eg someone posting a social security number, etc). So if someone hacked your account that'd be bad :P

-Philip

Gene

May 20, 2016, 12:59:20 AM5/20/16
to OaklandWiki
Got it -- thanks! I haven't blocked the address yet as they seemed to have stopped (after deleting my user page), but good to know I can if they come back.

gene