Michelle Obama's new child obesity initiative

Mary Sullivan

Feb 12, 2010, 2:36:14 PM2/12/10
to oaklandschoo...@googlegroups.com

Slow Food USA

Earlier this week, Michelle Obama launched a new initiative to solve the epidemic of child obesity. "Let's move to get healthier food into our nation's schools," she said.
More than 31 million children participate in the National School Lunch Program. Many consume as many as half their daily calories at school. Helping schools serve real food may be the most promising way to end child obesity - but it simply can't happen unless Congress invests in healthier food in the upcoming Child Nutrition Act.
Now that the First Lady is leading the charge to combat obesity, Congress will start debating the Child Nutrition Act this month. It's more important than ever that legislators hear directly from citizens back home.
On a conference call this week, USDA Secretary Vilsack said that the most important thing citizens can do to get healthier food into their local schools is to urge Congress to pass a strong Child Nutrition Act. This issue has broad public support, he said, but it isn't appearing in the news - so we need to make sure Congress gets the message.
That's where you come in. Even if you've already signed the Time for Lunch petition, please take a minute to email your legislators today.
Thank you,
Gordon Jenkins
Advocacy Manager
Slow Food USA