OCO & Oakland Schoofood alliance

1 view

jesus/OCO

Nov 25, 2009, 12:54:50 AM11/25/09
to Oakland School Food Alliance

November 2009

OCO is committed to bringing real change to food service
in Oakland Unified School District.

The Oakland School Food Alliance is led by parents, teachers,
students, staff, principals, health professionals, and community
members who are committed to bring about real change in the OUSD food
service system.
OCO parent leaders from Esperanza, Korematsu and Pride have played a
central role in creating the alliance. Our hope is that OUSD will soon
be a national leader in revolutionizing food and food service for
children in schools.
The Oakland School Food Alliance (OSFA) was started by an OCO leader
from Manzanita SEED Elementary School, Gail Adey, when she returned
from PICO National Training in the spring of 2009. OSFA is a district-
wide alliance of the elementary, middle, and high schools in the
Oakland Unified School District. The goal of the alliance is to have
healthy food in our cafeterias (fresh and locally sourced, scratch
cooked, with no preservatives, trans fat or high fructose corn syrup),
excellent service from the people who provide and serve the food, and
nutrition education to support our children's health.

Parents, community groups fight uphill battle to reform public school
food

Recently OCO joined forces with Oakland School Food Alliance, another
parent and community organization, to figure out how to bring more
fresh, healthy food to kids throughout the district. "One of the main
goals of this project is to have real cooking in every school," says
Jesus Rodriguez, OCO organizer.
Read more here.

Momentum builds to remake Oakland's public school lunches

Anxious to rid their schools of expired food, processed "pouches" and
high-fructose corn syrup, families from dozens of Oakland
neighborhoods, from the Montclair heights to the East Oakland
flatlands, have banded together to push for an overhaul of Oakland's
school lunch program.
Read more here.

7200 Bancroft Ave # 2 upper level
Oakland, California 94605