[Oakland School Food Alliance] Meeting Thurs May 20 12:30 pm at OCO

Mary Sullivan

May 18, 2010, 9:22:34 PM5/18/10
to oaklandschoo...@googlegroups.com
Greetings from "the Alliance"
A committee has been working offline since February regrouping and
working on a Strategic Plan with leadership by Karena Oberman. We are
now back into regular meeting format. Please come to the next meeting
on Thursday May 20th at OCO (see directions below). We will be
reviewing the Executive Summary of the Strategic Plan and our Mission
Statement.
ALSO!! most exciting, we will be planning our 2nd Annual "State of
the Plate" meeting. Thursday June 3rd at MetWest High School at 3:30.
Last year we learned about Berkely and Hayward food services. This
year, Jennifer LeBarre Dir. of OUSD Nuitrition Services will outline
the progress of her program, her work with California Family Farmers,
perhaps a debriefing of the Farm to Cafeteria Conference this past
week in Detroit and OFSA / the Alliance will present too.
There is much to learn, analyze and prioritize as we move closer to
school food reform for our kids.
Hungry for Change- Allison Rodman
questions 593-6978 aro...@earthlink.net

Oakland School Food Alliance
Agenda May 20, 2010
12:30-2:00
OCO
General Facilitator: Young Whan

I.    Icebreaker  - Young Whan        10 min
II.   Background/History  the Alliance- Liz    2-3 min

III.  Report from MetWest High School -  Young Whan 3 min
           Listening to high school student’s ideas grounds us in the
“Why” we are working to change school lunches.

IV.   Mission, vision, and values statement -  Susan Audap   25 min
This statement is central to all future work of the Alliance.
Members’ feedback is important on the general content before a
committee convenes to work on it further and bring back to the group.
                Small group instructions
                1.  choose roles for each member  1 min
                2.  read the statement  1 min
                3.  write a response  3 min
                4.  discuss “Where do you agree with the content
                5.  discuss “Where do you have differences with the
content of this document?" 5 min
            6.  choose two points to share with whole group  1 min

      Whole group share out 6 min

V.     Strategic Planning Executive Summary --Young Whan    25 min
         A committee has been working on this document.  They seek
members’ feedback as they work to finalize. This feedback session will
focus on the strategic goals section of the document.  Feedback to
other sections of the document can be given in a timely way by email
or written notes to aro...@earthlink.net

VI.  Planning the next meeting “State of the Plate” June 3rd – Allison
15 minutes
                1. objective of the meeting
                2. overview of what has been done
                3. clarifying questions
                4. recruit for a planning group

VII.    The next meeting is soon approaching. --Young Whan      5 min
                  Meetings are every first and third Thursday of each month.
                 June meetings are
                     6/3  preparation for later in the day “State of the Plate”
                     6/17    Begin Bylaw research, finalize
governance structures & management processes , roles and
responsibilities of governing members, research summer retreat
leadership training,  outline Communication and Development plan ,
debrief  State of the Plate meeting ,begin planning of Fall event

VIII.    Announcements

                -Karena

                - Future Agenda Planning

                - Others?

 Directions to OCO:  (The address is Bancroft; however, the OCO office
is on the back side of the building, so enter from 73rd Ave or
Foothill Blvd.)
From 580 East or West: Take Seminary Blvd exit. Turn down the hill.
Travel to Foothill Blvd and turn left. After several blocks (at Church
St), Eastmont Town Center will be on your right. At the next light,
turn right into the parking lot.  The Eastmont Wellness Center will be
right in front of you.  Turn left in front of that building.  The main
entrance is to the left of that section. See additional directions
below.
From 880 North or South: Take Hegenberger exit. Turn away from the
airport (if 880 N, turn right; if 880 S, turn left). Continue on
Hegenberger until it turns into 73rd Ave after you cross International
Blvd.  Continue on 73rd for several blocks until you pass Bancroft
Ave. Eastmont Town Center will be on your left.  After passing the
mall, enter by the McDonald's Restaurant entryway. Continue around to
the left. The main entrance is on the building that will be right in
front of you.  See additional directions below.
After you arrive at the parking lot:
The main entrance to the mall has a sign above the doors, Eastmont
Town Center. (On either side of the main doors are signs for the
Social Security Administration, The Apothecary, and the Center for
Elders Independence). Enter through those main doors.  Walk straight
down the corridor. The OCO office is on the back wall with big letters
above their entrance -- OCO.
DRAFT of Executive Summary.doc
Mission.docx
Agenda 5-20.doc