status of my fork

Detlef Schmicker

Oct 6, 2015, 6:09:04 AM10/6/15
to Oakfoam

Hi,

from recent posts in computer-go my guess is:

the strongest programs will use DCNN and
https://www.conftool.net/acg2015/index.php/Graf-Adaptive_Playouts_in_Monte_Carlo_Tree_Search_with_Policy_Gradient_Reinforcement_Learning-113.pdf?page=downloadPaper&filename=Graf-Adaptive_Playouts_in_Monte_Carlo_Tree_Search_with_Policy_Gradient_Reinforcement_Learning-113.pdf&form_id=113&form_version=final

soon.

Both approaches seem to be quite independent and each giving more than 100ELO. Abakus already bet zen with adaptive playouts and Aya reports good success with DCNN.

Therefore I prepare for adaptive playouts. Looking into this showed, that we are really 5 years behind with playout policy. I did not recognize how different other playouts were:(

I prepared to use real liberty data structures (did not harm performance)
I prepared crazy stone playout style (we had mogo before with modifications into this direction)
I prepared the first 7 features used in Graf paper, but did not debug yet.

At the moment I am not sure, if it will ever be possible to nicely pull from my fork to Francois repository:(

Steve Kroon

Oct 7, 2015, 3:25:07 AM10/7/15
to oak...@googlegroups.com
Hey Detlef.

Thanks for the update, and the work you are doing in developing
NiceGo. In terms of pulling into Francois's repository, I will try to
arrange to discuss how we are going to deal with this at some stage.

Regards,
Steve
> --

Steve Kroon | Computer Science Division, Stellenbosch University
(021) 808 9375 (Office) | (084) 458 8062 (Cell) | (086) 655 4386 (Fax)
http://www.cs.sun.ac.za/~kroon | skr...@gmail.com (Google Talk) |
7C01DE17 (BBM PIN)

Francois van Niekerk

Nov 2, 2015, 5:27:41 AM11/2/15
to oak...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,

So I chatted to Steve a bit last week about the path forward for
Oakfoam. It's pretty evident that I don't have the same amount of time
to devout to this project that I previously did. At the same time,
Detlef is steadily working ahead on his branch to implement new
features and generally improve Oakfoam, and this has basically become
the de facto leading edge of Oakfoam development. As such, I would
like to see Detlef become the head maintainer of Oakfoam. Detlef, this
obviously needs your buy-in, but Steve and I are happy with it. I
would like to still stay involved and I'll be around if there are any
questions, or admin rights to repos need to be managed, but it doesn't
make much sense for me to be a bottleneck of the project any longer.

As I see it, the path forward is as follows:
- Confirmation from Detlef that he is happy to assume the position of
head maintainer.
- I give Detlef write access to the main repo and any other accounts
that may be necessary.
- Detlef will quickly merge in his fork (by quickly I mean with a
focus on resolving hard merge conflicts, not looking to do any sort of
cleanup or code review).
- Development on Oakfoam continues with Detlef in charge of the focus
and direction.
- Maybe we look at getting a new version tagged and getting a build up
for download?
--
Francois van Niekerk

Managing Director at Clockwork Acorn
Cell: +2784 0350 214 | Twitter: @francoisvn
Website: http://clockworkacorn.com

Detlef Schmicker

Nov 3, 2015, 2:21:20 PM11/3/15
to oak...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

sounds like a good way to go. I just merged my dev branch into my
default branch (mercury is no fun) and gave merging with your default a
try. does not look impossible (Foto .

Some of the conflicts are trivial, only one function definition seems to
be changed by both of us...

What to do with cleaning up, I have no idea. On the other hand it is not
too bad to have parameters called test and change them to good names in
case they are usefull...

I will try to merge your changes after I have retrained my 3x3 patterns
for the playouts. (we have some conflicts in the train-gamma.sh file).
This may take some time, as I noticed that I often do not have a gamma
value for patterns in the playouts.

To make it short, lets do it like that,
image1.png

Francois van Niekerk

Nov 3, 2015, 2:27:45 PM11/3/15
to oak...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Ok great, sounds good. In terms of "cleaning up" the code: I don't
think you have to worry too much about that, I won't be reviewing the
pull request so it's not really needed unless you want to. Let me know
if there's anything I can help with.
--
Francois van Niekerk

Managing Director at Clockwork Acorn
Cell: +2784 0350 214 | Twitter: @francoisvn
Website: http://clockworkacorn.com

> --
>

> Detlef

Detlef Schmicker

Nov 11, 2015, 10:55:00 AM11/11/15
to Oakfoam
OK, I merged your status into my fork.

I tried not to break anything, but as I have to debug a lot anyway in the near future I might find at least the bugs which hurt playing:)

Francois van Niekerk

Nov 11, 2015, 1:49:22 PM11/11/15
to oak...@googlegroups.com
Ok great. Send a pull request and I'll merge it in. Once that's done
I'll also give you write access to the "main" repo so you can push new
revisions upstream as you see fit.

I think that's all for now :)
--
Francois van Niekerk

Managing Director at Clockwork Acorn
Cell: +2784 0350 214 | Twitter: @francoisvn
Website: http://clockworkacorn.com

Detlef Schmicker

Nov 11, 2015, 5:16:56 PM11/11/15
to oak...@googlegroups.com
I will send the push request as soon as I feel save, I did not break anything. About a week or so I think:)

In case you need it earlier, just leave me a note.

Detlef

Francois van Niekerk

Nov 11, 2015, 5:18:33 PM11/11/15
to oak...@googlegroups.com
Your plan sounds good. No need to rush :)
--
Francois van Niekerk

Managing Director at Clockwork Acorn
Cell: +2784 0350 214 | Twitter: @francoisvn
Website: http://clockworkacorn.com

Francois van Niekerk

Dec 1, 2015, 6:26:46 PM12/1/15
to oak...@googlegroups.com
Ok, the pull request has been merged in and Detlef now has write
access to the "main" repo.
--
Francois van Niekerk

Managing Director at Clockwork Acorn
Cell: +2784 0350 214 | Twitter: @francoisvn
Website: http://clockworkacorn.com

On 12 November 2015 at 00:18, Francois van Niekerk