More than 1 thread in cpu only mode

Detlef Schmicker

Feb 25, 2017, 5:09:32 AM2/25/17
to Oakfoam
I just tested 5 threads in cpu only mode, in my case it does not crash

I attach the config file, problem if gpu is enabled in compilation I do get 5 copies of the net into my gpu, therefore I can not run it on cgos as I am doing training on the same machine :(

nicego-cnn-06-3c0g.gtp

Hong Lu

Feb 27, 2017, 1:09:28 AM2/27/17
to Oakfoam
CPU only mode on 1 minute per move worked well in the past for me.

After I took the 1 minute per move limit and pretty much used your original  NG06 full setting, the results had be mixed bag. Overall, CPU only mode is a lot weaker than the GPU mode.

I noticed that this file you changed playout per move from high number to a lot a lower number.  This would speed up the per move speed, but the bot will a lot weaker than the CPU mode settings.

Hong

Detlef Schmicker

Feb 27, 2017, 2:30:04 AM2/27/17
to oak...@googlegroups.com

Detlef

Am 27.02.2017 um 07:09 schrieb Hong Lu <hong...@gmail.com>:

CPU only mode on 1 minute per move worked well in the past for me.

After I took the 1 minute per move limit and pretty much used your original  NG06 full setting, the results had be mixed bag. Overall, CPU only mode is a lot weaker than the GPU mode.

My cpu modes does 500 playouts in about 10s on 1 thread, meaning I would have 3000 playouts per minute. Should be about 200ELO weaker than 10000.

I noticed that this file you changed playout per move from high number to a lot a lower number.  This would speed up the per move speed, but the bot will a lot weaker than the CPU mode settings.

yes, it is for cgos and there is 15 minutes per game sudden death.
it is about 500ELO weaker on CGOS.

Hong

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 5:09:32 AM UTC-5, Detlef Schmicker wrote:
I just tested 5 threads in cpu only mode, in my case it does not crash

I attach the config file, problem if gpu is enabled in compilation I do get 5 copies of the net into my gpu, therefore I can not run it on cgos as I am doing training on the same machine :(

Hong Lu

Feb 28, 2017, 11:56:52 AM2/28/17
to Oakfoam
I see,  because now I have the machine upgraded to GPU mode NG06,  I think the CPUonly version is only useful for back up running in virtual machine in another machine to free up the
main GPU PC for other development/testing purposes.  Therefore the strength needs to be similar to GPU version.  So far it looks as if the CPUonly version is weaker than GPU version on same
number of playouts.

Any way,  I think CPU only version is lower priority because NG06 is mainly designed for GPU linux box.   Currently the low end GPU is so cheap.  GTX 1050 can be bought at $100 USD and works well for NG06 setup.

Hong

Detlef Schmicker

Feb 28, 2017, 12:18:51 PM2/28/17
to oak...@googlegroups.com
at the same number of playouts they should be the same.

But I think there was some bug in your cpu caffe version, as the pass bugs do not appear in my version and probably not in your gpu version...

Detlef

Hong Lu

Feb 28, 2017, 1:27:09 PM2/28/17
to Oakfoam
I see.  I noticed the caffe in my  GPU new setup is newer version.  I will try out new caffe + your newest NG06 to test out CPU_only version strength, possibly in the coming weekend.

With same NG06  CPU only mode after removing "1 minute per move",  I did notice that occasionally it was strong, but most of time was much weaker than GPU version.

Hong