"Learn to love soil" and Southern SAWG Conference: 27-30 January 2016

Obiora Embry

Jan 20, 2016, 9:13:24 PM1/20/16
to oak...@googlegroups.com

Learn to love soil

In 2008, I attended my first Southern Sustainable Agricultural Working Group conference in Chattanooga. The workshop with the biggest impact on me was led by Jeff Moyer, farm manager at Rodale Institute. Moyer made me look at soil in a totally different light. He said something like: “Soil is like an Olympic athlete. You can’t expect it to take off three months and still perform at its peak.” I had never thought much about soil prior to the workshop, but since I do what I can to keep it healthy and share my knowledge with others. I enjoyed and learned so much from the conference that I went back twice.

This year Lexington will host SSAWG’s 25th Annual Practical Tools and Solutions for Sustaining Family Farms conference Jan. 27-30 at the Lexington Convention Center. There will be field trips, short courses and workshops hosted by people with a wealth of experience and knowledge in sustainable agriculture.

Wendell Berry said “eating is an agricultural act.” Tell everyone you know to plan to attend. We owe it to ourselves and future generations to learn more about our food system and how food is grown.

Obiora Embry

Lexington

--
Sincerely,
Obiora Embry, E.I.T., Author, GFJI Advisory Board Member