The response to the ListIdentifiers verb with metadataPrefix oai_dc contained no identifiers.

Mohamed Ali Ahmed

Jun 15, 2021, 9:27:43 AM6/15/21
to OAI-PMH
Hello everyone,

I am trying to validate our repository at http://www.openarchives.org/Register/ValidateSite
The repository is using on Zenodo and its baseURL is at https://sorer.somaliren.org.so/oai2d

Below are the log messages:
Running validation checks (step 2)

baseURL is https://sorer.somaliren.org.so/oai2d
Registration requested
Request logged from ........

Checking Identify response
PASS Administrator email address is 'libr...@somaliren.org'
PASS Correctly reports OAI-PMH protocol version 2.0
PASS baseURL supplied matches the Identify response
PASS Datestamp granularity is 'seconds'
PASS Extracted earliestDatestamp 2020-12-01T13:13:55Z
Checking ListSets response
PASS responseDate has correct format: 2021-06-10T14:29:01Z
PASS Extracted 17 set names: { openaire openaire_data user-sorer ... }, will use setSpec &set=openaire in tests
Checking ListIdentifiers response
PASS responseDate has correct format: 2021-06-10T14:29:03Z
FAIL The response to the ListIdentifiers verb with metadataPrefix oai_dc contained no identifiers. Without at least one identifier, we cannot proceed with the validation tests.
FAIL ABORT: No identifiers in response to ListIdentifiers. Without an identifier we cannot proceed with validation tests.
Summary - failure
  • Uses https URIs (not specified in protocol)
  • Total tests passed: 8
  • Total warnings: 0
  • Total error count: 2
  • Validation status: FAILED

Successfully updated OAI registration database to status FAILED.

Any help would be appreciated.

J Salter

Jun 15, 2021, 11:36:07 AM6/15/21
to OAI-PMH
Hi Mohamed,
The failing test was using an OAI-PMH set called 'openaire'. Currently this set contains no records - so the validation cannot continue.
I think this is an issue with the validator. The specification states that:
"The set hierarchy of a repository may include sets that are empty"
so having an empty set isn't an error.

If the validator selects an empty set to run further tests against, I think it should fall back to another set.

I also note from https://sorer.somaliren.org.so/oai2d?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=oai_dc&identifier=oai:zenodo.org:36 that you are using a default prefix for your oai identifiers 'oai:zenodo.org:'. I hope there is some configuration option in Zenodo to change this to something unique e.g. 'oai:sorer.somaliren.org.so:'.

Cheers,
John

Mohamed Ali Ahmed

Jun 17, 2021, 2:48:50 AM6/17/21
to OAI-PMH
Hello John,

Thanks for the response,

Please the inline

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021, at 6:36:07 PM UTC+3 j.sa...@leeds.ac.uk wrote:
Hi Mohamed,
The failing test was using an OAI-PMH set called 'openaire'. Currently this set contains no records - so the validation cannot continue.
I think this is an issue with the validator. The specification states that:
"The set hierarchy of a repository may include sets that are empty"
so having an empty set isn't an error.
I can not continue the registration process, what do you think I should do to solve this issue.

If the validator selects an empty set to run further tests against, I think it should fall back to another set.

I also note from https://sorer.somaliren.org.so/oai2d?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=oai_dc&identifier=oai:zenodo.org:36 that you are using a default prefix for your oai identifiers 'oai:zenodo.org:'. I hope there is some configuration option in Zenodo to change this to something unique e.g. 'oai:sorer.somaliren.org.so:'.
I can change this from the configuration files.

John Salter

Jun 17, 2021, 11:59:24 AM6/17/21
to OAI-PMH
Hi,
I've had a bit more of a look at this, and there is a difference in how different software responds when a set contains no records.

It looks like other OAI-PMH instances that use the zenodo platform also output an empty <ListIdentifiers/> element e.g. https://rodare.hzdr.de/oai2d?verb=ListIdentifiers&metadataPrefix=oai_dc&set=openaire

The third 'ListRecords' example on this page https://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.html#ListIdentifiers indicates that the expected response is a 'no records match' error for an empty set.

I'm not familiar with the Zenodo code-base, but it looks like it might use https://github.com/inveniosoftware/invenio-oaiserver/.

There is an open issue that relates to this issue - https://github.com/inveniosoftware/invenio-oaiserver/issues/186 - I have added a comment to that relating to our conversation.
It might be worth highlighting this with your service provider to see if it can be resolved.

Cheers,
John

Oct 4, 2023, 4:03:47 AM10/4/23
to OAI-PMH
Bit of an old thread...

The issue with the invenio-oaiserver appears to have been resolved: https://github.com/inveniosoftware/invenio-oaiserver/issues/186#event-10543265789
I'm not sure how the above fix is will work it's way into other systems such as Zenodo - or how long this might take.

Cheers,
John