Specifying multiple sets in a single request

Lydia Motyka

Nov 13, 2017, 8:53:11 PM11/13/17
to OAI-PMH
This might be a anomaly of the Islandora OAI-PMH requeset handler, but I find that specifying multiple colon-separated setSpec values in the set= argument will actually retrieve metadata from multiple setSpecs in one request.  That may not be the intention of the protocol, but it's quite handy to be able to do so.  In the protocol I don't really see this use case addressed.

What experience have others had in retrieving multiple selected sets in one OAI-PMH request?

Simeon Warner

Nov 14, 2017, 11:01:45 AM11/14/17
to oai...@googlegroups.com
This sounds like a bug in the Islandora implementation. Colons are used
in the spec [1] as the separator in a nested set hierarchy. Thus:

setSpec=a:b

means the subset of set a called a:b.

a:b does not mean sets a AND b. The hierarchy implies that harvesting a
should include everything in a:b.

Cheers,
Simeon

[1] https://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.html#Set
> --
>
> ---

Alain Descamps

Mar 14, 2022, 5:59:08 AM3/14/22
to OAI-PMH
One could agree with the data provider that this construction works:

Suppose you have a set setSpec=a1:b1 and a set setSpec=a2:b2, and you want the intersection.
Then
setSpec=a1:b1:_and_:a2:b2

could be a candidate.

Cheers,