Data Provider as Sole Service on a Server

Ed Fonseca

May 2, 2024, 2:59:36 AMMay 2
to OAI-PMH
Hello,

I was wondering if it is customary to serve a data provider on a machine or set of machines and have no other web servers (such as like a react or django server) on the machine.

I am noticing when harvesting from my data provider, some of the queries to retrieve the data put the cpu cores at 50% usage. I have tried optimizing some of the database queries, but at this point I am wondering if the data provider needs to be the sole service running on the machine.

Any thoughts on your experiences with setting up an OAI server would be helpful to determine what course of action I take. Thanks!

John Salter

May 2, 2024, 4:51:19 AMMay 2
to oai...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ed,

Coming from an institutional repository perspective, the OAI-PMH service is often part of the main repository platform, and exists alongside the main functionality without too much problem, and without needing a super-powered VM.

Are you creating your own OAI-PMH implementation from scratch, or are you using existing modules?

There may be some useful links here: https://www.openarchives.org/pmh/tools/ although some might require a bit of digging e.g. for the EPrints platform, the OAI-PMH functionality consists of some config:

https://github.com/eprints/eprints3.4/blob/master/lib/defaultcfg_zero/cfg.d/oai.pl

a module:

https://github.com/eprints/eprints3.4/blob/master/perl_lib/EPrints/OpenArchives.pm

and a cgi script:

https://github.com/eprints/eprints3.4/blob/master/cgi/oai2

If you are using an existing implementation, it’s probably worth reaching out to the maintainers, as they would be aware of how performant the code should be in a given scenario.

If you’re rolling you own, it might be useful to find an existing implementation in an appropriate language (if there is one!) and see if it contains any useful optimisations.

Cheers,

John

John Salter

https://orcid.org/0000-0002-8611-8266