Why We're Here | Introductions and Use Cases

Christina Drummond

Jun 25, 2020, 12:13:19 PM6/25/20
to OAeBU Data Trust University Presses Group
Also, here is a bit of information about my background so that you can get to know me a bit.

In addition to being the Program Officer for the OA eBook Usage (OAeBU) Data Trust effort, I'm a longtime data policy geek driven by impact and a deep love for the role of data visualizations in data-driven decision-making. After starting my career query and BI dashboard building to support B2B and nonprofit operations, I shifted into data policy, research development and program management. I focused on data analysis heavily in my social science training, prior to earning my MA in International Science and Technology Policy and I hold certifications in international business, design thinking, and information privacy. Aussi, je parle Francaise meilleur de j'écrit.

While my role in this group is to facilitate discussion, I'm personally interested in how de-identified, aggregate usage data can facilitate ROI and gap analyses while surfacing trends in open knowledge flows.

Please respond to this message, as due to a technical issue responses on my prior message won't come through.

Thanks,

Christina
-----------------------------
Christina Drummond, M.A. International Science and Technology Policy
Data Trust Program Officer
Working from Columbus, OH | EDT Timezone (GMT-4)

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 11:42 AM Christina Drummond <chri...@educopia.org> wrote:
Greetings All:

Thanks for joining this virtual discussion forum for university presses interested in informing the Open Access eBook Usage (OAeBU) Data Trust. To ground the project in user-centered design, the project team is seeking your help to describe the use cases and personas (roles) therein for organizations and staff members who might benefit from viewing OA monograph usage information.

To get us started with introductions, I’d like to invite each of you to take a few moments to:
  1. say hello and introduce yourself, and
  2. note why you or your organization is currently interested in OA monograph usage data.
Together, we’ll begin to understand who could use ebook usage information in university presses and for what purposes. We can then build from these responses to explore the types of data, reports, exports, or tools that would be great to have.

To propel the conversation forward, I share the following ideas generated from a 2018 workshop and shared in the “Exploring Open Access Ebook Usage” white paper authored by Brian O’Leary and Kevin Hawkins. -----
----
Purposes include understanding and/or analyzing across data sources:
  1. Discovery
  2. Access / Consumption / Engagement / Impact:
    • how / where OA monographs are being used
    • relative performance of individual books and collections
    • benchmarking and/or tracking of usage trends over time
    • subject-specific patterns of use for OA monographs
    • the communities engaging with OA monographs
  3. Diversity
  4. Quality: data that informs the evaluation and communication of OA book/publishing value and performance-----
-----

What do you think? Are these the insights that matter to you or your organization? Are there other uses of book usage data that should be considered?

Looking forward to the discussion,

Christina

-----------------------------
Christina Drummond, M.A. International Science and Technology Policy
Data Trust Program Officer
Working from Columbus, OH | EDT Timezone (GMT-4)

brittany.r.johnson

Jul 30, 2020, 12:10:57 PM7/30/20
to OAeBU Data Trust University Presses Group
Hi All:

I hope all is well.

I am the Grants Coordinator for Vanderbilt University Press. Vanderbilt UP is interested in OA monograph usage data as a means of learning how we may grow our OA output and gaining more insight on the impact of OA in publishing.

Thank you,

Brittany R. Johnson

Grants Coordinator, Vanderbilt University Press

PMB 401813

2301 Vanderbilt Place

Nashville, TN 37240-1813

Phone: 615-343-4451

Fax: 615-343-0308

Join VUP in Celebrating 80 Years of Service