marking an annotation as seen

ian flitman

May 21, 2012, 5:59:45 AM5/21/12
to oac-discuss
Imagine this use case:

A student marks coursework online with an annotation which is then
stored. After their teacher reads this annotation without necessarily
adding any comment (effectively adding an annotation on their
annotation) , the student can no longer change their annotation. This
is in effect the digital equivalent of a student handing in
coursework, which the teacher marks with a tick.

You could mark the annotation as seen by putting an oax:Reply in the
oac rdf and inlining a known fixed constant in it such as
'SEEN_BY_TEACHER' which is parsed client side for the student in way
so as to disable further editing. The trouble here is that such
constants need to be known by the client and potentially all other
clients who wish to access the annotation as a resource. No big
problem in itself - I am just wondering if there is another or
standard way to mark the annotation itself as seen, rather than using
oax:Reply in this way.

Robert Sanderson

May 21, 2012, 10:37:15 AM5/21/12
to oac-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian,

The ability to edit in-place an Annotation would be up to the server
that hosts the Annotation. If, for example, the original annotation
is stored in the user's own filesystem (and made available via a local
web server), then there's nothing anyone can do to stop the user
changing it. Trying to regulate who can change which web resource at
which time is not something we should be trying to do.

On the other hand, when the teacher "ticks" the coursework annotation,
he or she could have a third system such as the Internet Archive take
a snapshot of the annotations and resources. Then even if the student
did later change their submission, it would be clear from the archive
what had happened. Please see our paper from JCDL 2010 about how this
can work with Memento: http://arxiv.org/abs/1003.2643

Hope that helps!

Rob

ian flitman

May 23, 2012, 7:06:46 AM5/23/12
to oac-discuss
Thanks for your reply Robert.

I read your article about Memento with great interest. Our needs are
somewhat peculiar. We certainly don't have problems with annotating
portals like cnn's. Memento type archiving is definitely out of scope
for us for this phase of the project with all its TimeGate
functionality, though I can definitely see its worth, and I am
grateful to you for pointing it out.

It does seem that OAC does not really cater for intended recipients
known from the outset and managing workflows between them. We intend
to provide an ecosystem for student to teacher collaboration where we
control content, storage, and the tools for annotations. It does look
like we will have to add perhaps our own namespaced extensions to the
standard to facilitate what we need.

thanks again,

ian

Bruce D'Arcus

May 23, 2012, 8:28:08 AM5/23/12
to oac-d...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 7:06 AM, ian flitman <ianfl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We intend to provide an ecosystem for student to teacher collaboration where we
> control content, storage, and the tools for annotations.

What's the project? By any chance open source?

> It does look like we will have to add perhaps our own namespaced extensions to the
> standard to facilitate what we need.

One of the nice things about RDF is it's designed for this sort of
distributed extensibility.

Bruce

Robert Sanderson

May 23, 2012, 10:56:25 AM5/23/12
to oac-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian,

Yes, the OAC model is designed for interoperability between systems,
and indeed between communities, not to cover all of the internal
requirements of a managed workflow within a single system.

As Bruce says, the nice thing about RDF is that it's easy to add
extensions without breaking anything :) And the advantage of using
Open Annotation is that your customers can export their content in a
standard way, or also use third party clients to create the
annotations.

Rob

ian flitman

May 25, 2012, 7:40:13 AM5/25/12
to oac-discuss
Hi Bruce and Robert,

Not open source. And sadly for that reason, Bruce, I shouldn't say too
much about it - at least for the time being. Sorry.

After further input from our engineers, it looks like we won't have to
extend the rdf but can instead mark the XML based wrapper than will
contain the rdf the database we will use. This way we can keep the OAC
rdf as is, although you are absolutely right about rdf being so easily
extended.

And incidentally, Robert, your recommendation for archiving
annotations is an interesting one, and one that keeps coming into my
head.

As a general aside, I have got to say that the more you look into
annotations the more interesting they get.

best to all,
ian