Durian Cup #4: Final Race Report!

1 view

Dave Shishkoff

Jul 21, 2009, 1:56:26 AM7/21/09
to OA-Victoria, OA-Vic-Announcements, GVCC List, Sonya, Canadian Cyclist (News), Pedalmag (News), kat...@uvic.ca, de...@telus.net, iridef...@hotmail.com, Scott Mitchell (MTB), Kurt Knock (MTB), Tanya Camposano (CycBC), Tara Pollock (MTB), Drew MacKenzie (cycling), Glenowyn Carlson (MTB), Steve Lund, Steve Chater (tri coach), Normon Thibault (CX), Dan Proulx, Lister Farrar, Kelsey Wiens (OA), Bradley Saul (Organic Athlete), ke...@organicathlete.org
The Durian Cup Race Report & Finale
Race #4: Gravity Challenge Relay!

[Note: This report can be found online here: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dgcg5f7p_38fwwj9rwb ]

It was another beautiful night for the conclusion of the Durian Cup, as racers assembled in the parking lot! The final event was the Gravity Challenge Relay, which could be done as a team, or as a solo effort. The course was a challenging climb to one of the highest peaks in the park, followed by some of the best downhill The Dump has to offer. The course began in earnest on the Regional Trail, and C riders ascended to the top of Who's Yer Daddy, and then dropped their way back down to the TTA. A & B racers continued upwards to the top of Jelly Roll. From there they would tag out, or begin the descent along JR, and Lumpy Pants, before getting on to Who's Yer Daddy, concluding in the TTA. Unfortunately, course markings directed some riders the wrong way on the climb, so final results are a bit skewed, but hey, it was mainly for fun. =)

Our sole C riders were the father-son pairing of Junior rider Logan Simonson (at 13yrs old!) and Eric Simonson (at an undisclosed age!) and were back in the TTA in record time. (Well, all times tonight were record times!)

In the B field, we had two pairings, and a solo rider. Emily Pridham(Dirty Girlz) maintained her unbeaten streak with teammate Carmel Ecker(Dirty Girlz) finishing at 33:23. Solo rider Aaron Henderson(Ind) finished on Carmel's wheel, one second back, and rolling in a few minutes later was the team of Leon Tulevski(Ind) and Julie Halliday(Ind).

The A's definitely suffered the most from the chaos of the course markings! First to the bottom was Mitch Thacker(Ind) with the course record of 24:25, who was familiar with the route and knew to avoid a marker. (Note that Mitch completed the descent in the previous Island Cup Super D race in 9:30.) Ahead of him on the climb was former pro downhiller Geoff Pendrel(Oak Bay Bikes), but due to the course adjustment finished at 27:38 in 2nd. Halldor Gunnarsson(Rider's Cycles) came in 3rd 10 seconds off Geoff's time. A couple minutes later rolled in Roger Macleod(Ind), Simon Norris(AviaWest), and Glenowyn Carlson(Team Alliance) who was teamed up with Kate Scallion(Ind), and Brian Payne(Schwalbe CC).

This evening also saw the awarding of the custom, hand-made Durian Cup trophies to the top riders in each category. Kate had the distinct honor of being both the Top Women's rider, and the Top A, but graciously accepted only one, allowing another rider to take home a trophy, and they were awarded as follows:
Top A Rider: Kate Scallion(Ind)
Top B Rider: Emily Pridham(Dirty Girlz)
Top Womens Rider: Glenowyn Carlson(Team Alliance)
Top Masters Rider: Halldor Gunnarsson(Rider's Cycles)
Top Junior Rider: Logan Simonson
Top Vegan Rider: Dave Shishkoff(OrganicAthlete)
Lantern Rouge: Brian Payne(Schwalbe CC)

The Lantern Rouge trophy was awarded to the last placed rider who completed all four events. Sadly, no C trophy was awarded as no rider came out beyond one event!

The evening's full results can be found here:

Series totals can be found here (note: Omnium scoring format, so lower points = better score)

And our photo album, including photos of our unique Durian Cup trophies, is located here:

Our gratitude goes out to our volunteers this evening, Deb and Evan, and a big heaping of thanks to race organizer and OA Victoria President Dave Shishkoff! Thanks also to OA Victoria sponsors: Green CuisineVegaOak Bay BikesEatmore Sprouts, the Victoria Soap ExchangePink Sugar (vegan!) Cupcakery and Crag  X Climbing Gym! A big thanks also to the Trek Shop for their prize contributions (which have been in the $300 range for each event, over $1200 for the series!), and to SIMBS for helping organize and promote the series. Be sure to join SIMBS and help support local mountain biking!

The club may organize some cyclocross races, and plans a second, even bigger Durian Cup race event for next year, so keep an eye out, or send us a note if you'd like to be kept up-to-date.

OrganicAthlete exists to promote respect for the environment and veganism through sport; the Olympic Spirit with organic values! We have a local bike team, but are also a membership-based non-for-profit organization, and welcome all who support our goals. Check out our site for more details, including discounts for members, monthly meetings and how to join us!

Thanks again to our volunteers and sponsors, and for all who came out to race, see you on the trails and road,

Team OrganicAthlete Victoria Fueled By Green Cuisine