More help in picking

Dave

Sep 7, 2010, 11:41:32 PM9/7/10
to O3D-discuss
Hi all,

Another picking problem, is working, but not working very well, reason
unknown.

http://maenad-yu.cloud.itee.uq.edu.au/3dsa/service.html?modelID=0002_Longbird&res=low

This is my annotation prototype I've made, please try out and see.
Currently only attaching to point is working.
Left mouse button to rotate, middle mouse button to zoom, and right
mouse button to pan

If you try to attach a tag (picking a point), only some parts works
perfectly well, some parts the picking will not recognize (E.g. the
more complex middle part)

Can anyone tell me why?

And by the way, comparing picking in a index-buffered mesh with a
index-bufferless mesh, which runs quicker in O3D. The example cannot
really display significant difference.

Regards,
Dave

Nicolas Kassis

Sep 8, 2010, 9:53:44 AM9/8/10
to o3d-d...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if it's related to your problem but I noticed that when the
figure is rotated towards the button, it won't let you annotate it
even if in it's original position there was no issues with clicking
that point. It's as if there was a box where picking works and when
the shape is out of it fails.

I couldn't get it to work at all in Chrome(picking just fails in my
version of chrome, might need to update my browser ;) ) but it seems
to work well in firefox.

Nic

> --

-----------------
Nicolas Kassis

Dave

Sep 8, 2010, 7:52:19 PM9/8/10
to O3D-discuss
Hi Nicolas

I've heard that the bounding boxes are involved with the picking as
well. However, I don't know how to associate that with my problem. The
funny thing is that some area picks fairly well (the bottom stand),
some part is just ridiculously hard (Everything above upper part
rotated rotated in certain angle).

In fact, I also realized, if I rotate the model in a certain angle,
the picking works like magic, everything becomes pickable, but when I
rotate to another angle, the picking stops working. If I rotate the
model to the top of the bird's head is facing the camera, the picking
works well. If I view the bird from the side, only the stand works
well or sometimes other places can work too.

It is highly possible that the incorrect bounding box is the issue,
but I don't understand how the bounding box and picking works as a
whole.

My Chrome works fairly well. I'm using 7.0.503.0 version.

Regards,
Dave

On Sep 8, 11:53 pm, Nicolas Kassis <nic.kas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not sure if it's related to your problem but I noticed that when the
> figure is rotated towards the button, it won't let you annotate it
> even if in it's original position there was no issues with clicking
> that point. It's as if there was a box where picking works and when
> the shape is out of it fails.
>
> I couldn't get it to work at all in Chrome(picking just fails in my
> version of chrome, might need to update my browser ;) ) but it seems
> to work well in firefox.
>
> Nic
>

> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 11:41 PM, Dave <doomtemp...@yahoo.com.tw> wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > Another picking problem, is working, but not working very well, reason
> > unknown.
>
> >http://maenad-yu.cloud.itee.uq.edu.au/3dsa/service.html?modelID=0002_...
>
> > This is my annotation prototype I've made, please try out and see.
> > Currently only attaching to point is working.
> > Left mouse button to rotate, middle mouse button to zoom, and right
> > mouse button to pan
>
> > If you try to attach a tag (picking a point), only some parts works
> > perfectly well, some parts the picking will not recognize (E.g. the
> > more complex middle part)
>
> > Can anyone tell me why?
>
> > And by the way, comparing picking in a index-buffered mesh with a
> > index-bufferless mesh, which runs quicker in O3D. The example cannot
> > really display significant difference.
>
> > Regards,
> > Dave
>
> > --
>
> --
> -----------------
> Nicolas Kassis

Dave

Sep 13, 2010, 3:06:17 AM9/13/10
to O3D-discuss
Hi all,

Discovered the problem. The solution is to create a pick manager based
on g_client.root instead to one of their child. Realized that if the
picking manager is not created at the client root, it will not update
the pick manager therefore if the object is rotated, some parts will
failed to be picked.

Regards,
Dave