Embedding multiple video streams in O3D environments

Manthorp

Sep 29, 2010, 12:05:43 PM9/29/10
to O3D-discuss
I'm working for an arts organisation that wishes to create an online
archive of multiscreen video installation art exhibits in virtual
replications of their original gallery staging. So we'd be looking to
recreate relatively simple 3d environments - often not much more
complicated than a white-walled room - but with multiple, synchronised
video streams - up to four at a time, say.

Is this, at least in theory, achievable with O3D? If not, are there
any other online 3D technologies I should be looking at?

Angelo Franco

Oct 14, 2010, 9:42:23 AM10/14/10
to o3d-d...@googlegroups.com
I know it's possible to do that with Flash and Papervision.

Nicolas Kassis

Oct 14, 2010, 10:17:10 AM10/14/10
to o3d-d...@googlegroups.com
It's very possible using WebGL currently. You can use the new html
video element as a texture. Here is a write up about it on mozilla
developer center:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/WebGL/Animating_textures_in_WebGL
This example is out of date and I've been trying to update it as much
as I could, you can find my current progress here:
http://kassis.ca/webgl/video-sample

I'll try to get it working.

As far as O3D (webgl) supporting it, I'm not sure if video elements
are supported currently in the api. The only issue is will your
planned audience have a webgl enabled browser.

Another option is css3 which supports some 3d effects:

http://studio.html5rocks.com/#Cube

This will have the same issue as an O3D/Webgl solution, the browser of
your user needs to support css3. Maybe Angelo's suggestion would be
better if not.

Nic

--
-----------------
Nicolas Kassis

Manthorp

Oct 15, 2010, 5:13:09 AM10/15/10
to O3D-discuss
Thanks Angelo & Nicolas. That's all very useful & confirms what I had
concluded from reading around the topic. I think the major issue for
the project as currently conceived won't turn out to be the 3d, but
the bandwidth issues arising from streaming (and syncing) multiple
video streams of sufficiently high quality to give a reasonable
facsimile of the original gallery experience.