integrating o3d webgl framework WITH regular webgl

Andrew

Sep 23, 2010, 7:33:41 AM9/23/10
to O3D-discuss
Could anyone talk about their experience of integrating o3d webgl
framework WITH regular webgl?

I am converting over a project from an o3d plugin project to the new
o3d webgl library.

In the places where o3d webgl doesn't provide the full functionality
of WebGL I am needing to fall back on regular WebGL.

The immediate question I have is how can I get access to the
underlying WebGL graphics context that o3d is using so that I can
interact with it directly?

Is there any complete documentation for o3d webgl (as opposed to o3d
plugin documentation)? I have looked for this, but most of the
documentation I can find is for the plugin, apart from this page:
http://code.google.com/p/o3d/wiki/GettingStarted

Andrew

Sep 23, 2010, 8:03:46 AM9/23/10
to O3D-discuss
Incidentally, if anyone from google is listening:

Just a suggestion, but IMHO it would make sense to use a mixed
strategy of o3d plugin AND webgl. In this way if the user can be
bothered to install the plugin they can benefit from better
performance up until such time as the browsers are fully supporting
webgl. And in any browser that doesn't not support webgl the user can
be prompted to install the plugin. And any browser that does support
webgl, the page can run in the browser without the plugin initially
but for next 12 months or so offer the user a choice to go either with
the plugin or run direct in the browser...

Then we could use pretty much the same project code to target either
o3d plugin OR o3d javascript library... which would be a really good
reason for using the o3d javascript library in the first place, rather
than just going for regular WebGL.

Kenneth Russell

Sep 24, 2010, 8:58:39 PM9/24/10
to o3d-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the suggestion. The O3D plugin is deprecated, and all of
the former developers are working on other projects. For this reason,
though the O3D plugin certainly still has advantages over pure WebGL
libraries, I can not advise continuing to target it for content
deployment.

-Ken

Jeff Kesselman

Sep 25, 2010, 2:14:16 AM9/25/10
to o3d-d...@googlegroups.com
Btw.. there were 3 people from UCSC at the conference... and IMHO they were the brain trust.

Sent from my iPad