NZ PHP Users Group - facebook group

Rob Jensen

May 4, 2017, 7:56:59 PM5/4/17
to NZ PHP Users Group
Hi there,

Just wondering what you guys think of moving this to a facebook group? Or starting an equivalent there?

Cheers,

Rob

Dave Lane

May 4, 2017, 8:31:49 PM5/4/17
to nzp...@googlegroups.com
Given that PHP is an open source language, and I (for one) am part of
this list because it's an open source community of sorts, I think it'd
be a big step backward to switch to Facebook (I'd rather move towards a
more open - and open source - platform instead. Google Groups is
marginally better than FB, but it's still a corporate platform). By all
means recruit members for an open community (that's separate from FB)
*on* Facebook - it is, after all, where many people are (for better or
worse) but I think it's a big mistake for an open community to
voluntarily develop a dependence on such a closed platform. I'd
certainly abandon the group if it was moving that way.

Cheers,

Dave
--
Dave Lane - da...@davelane.nz; https://davelane.nz; +64 21 229 8147
GPG fingerprint: CE1E 5896 8D80 A78B E179 9E74 319B 083C 50EF AA94

Michael Doerner - Technologywise

May 7, 2017, 7:06:14 AM5/7/17
to nzp...@googlegroups.com
On 05/05/17 12:31, Dave Lane wrote:
> On 05/05/17 11:31, Rob Jensen wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Just wondering what you guys think of moving this to a facebook group?
>> Or starting an equivalent there?
> Given that PHP is an open source language, and I (for one) am part of
> this list because it's an open source community of sorts, I think it'd
> be a big step backward to switch to Facebook (I'd rather move towards a
> more open - and open source - platform instead. Google Groups is
> marginally better than FB, but it's still a corporate platform). By all
> means recruit members for an open community (that's separate from FB)
> *on* Facebook - it is, after all, where many people are (for better or
> worse) but I think it's a big mistake for an open community to
> voluntarily develop a dependence on such a closed platform. I'd
> certainly abandon the group if it was moving that way.
I am with Dave. I cannot see an Open Source based group and community
moving to a proprietary platform like Facebook.

Michael

falnyr

Jun 25, 2017, 7:24:52 PM6/25/17
to NZ PHP Users Group