View this page "Calendar Time table"

hellonearthisman

Jul 24, 2009, 8:05:49 PM7/24/09
to NZ Open Govt Data Barcamp and Hackfest
Looking to see if the Google calendar can help working out the
timetable.

Click on http://groups.google.com/group/nzopengovtbarcamp/web/calendar-time-table
- or copy & paste it into your browser's address bar if that doesn't
work.

hellonearthisman

Jul 24, 2009, 8:10:49 PM7/24/09
to NZ Open Govt Data Barcamp and Hackfest
meh embedding problem...

Mike Riversdale

Jul 26, 2009, 5:14:59 PM7/26/09
to NZ Open Govt Data Barcamp and Hackfest
Can ya add me - mike.ri...@miramarmike.co.nz
Can help upload the schedule on the day

hellonearthisman

Jul 30, 2009, 1:44:09 AM7/30/09
to NZ Open Govt Data Barcamp and Hackfest
update to reflect unagenda 29-7.

Mike Riversdale

Jul 30, 2009, 5:39:58 PM7/30/09
to NZ Open Govt Data Barcamp and Hackfest
Embedded, top stuff!

hellonearthisman

Jul 30, 2009, 8:26:23 PM7/30/09
to NZ Open Govt Data Barcamp and Hackfest
Looks like it's embedded, but it's just a picture that I update
manually.
Needs google wave to get everything working together.

Click on http://groups.google.com/group/nzopengovtbarcamp/web/calendar-time-table?hl=en

hellonearthisman

Jul 31, 2009, 5:57:24 AM7/31/09
to NZ Open Govt Data Barcamp and Hackfest

Mike Riversdale

Aug 18, 2009, 6:10:44 AM8/18/09
to NZ Open Govt Data Barcamp and Hackfest
Have shared the OpenGovtNZ Google Calendar with everyone subscribed to
this group

It's all about timing and Google's was very neat.
"Sharing with Google Groups" http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/sharing-with-google-groups.html

What does it mean to share the calendar using the
'nzopengo...@googlegroups.com' email?
To be honest, not sure - if you've got GMail you've got Calendar and
it should simply appear in your list of available calendars. For
everyone else not using Google ... dunno. Let us all know what it
feels like your end.

Oh, permissions on the calendar for the group are that you can "Make
changes to events"

The calendar will be updated ASAP on the morning of the barcamp so we
can all see the agenda online, via the iPhones, iCAL and the like.

David Earle

Aug 18, 2009, 4:47:44 PM8/18/09
to nzopengo...@googlegroups.com
And for those who use notebooks and stylus' that are made of paper and ink?
DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. The contents are not necessarily the official view or communication of the Ministry of Education. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to the Ministry by e-mail, and destroy any copies. The Ministry does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.
All e-mails have been scanned for viruses and content by security software. The Ministry reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its network.

Kevin Richards

Aug 18, 2009, 5:08:12 PM8/18/09
to nzopengo...@googlegroups.com
I suspect that that would make it very hard to consume, integrate and publish the data in question (ie electronic data!).

Kevin

David Earle

Aug 18, 2009, 6:01:39 PM8/18/09
to nzopengo...@googlegroups.com
My point is that not all of us have laptops, iPhones or equivalent - so if
the agenda is run electronically on the day - that will exclude a good number
of participants.

Courtney Johnston

Aug 18, 2009, 6:11:29 PM8/18/09
to NZ Open Govt Data Barcamp and Hackfest
My understanding is that we're running a normal bar camp.

The time-table will be drawn up on a whiteboard or a big piece of
paper and then, come starting time, people who want to secure a
speaking slot grab a pen and slap up their topic.

The timetable then stays up where everyone can see it. It's a 'living'
timetable - if you want to refine your topic or combine with another
speaker, that's not a problem. If someone wants to transcribe the
timetable onto the Google calendar, that's lovely, but no one will
lose out if they're not online.

Personally, I plan to stay offline all day and concentrate on what
people are saying, not screens.

Mark Harris

Aug 18, 2009, 6:18:41 PM8/18/09
David Earle wrote:
> My point is that not all of us have laptops, iPhones or equivalent - so if
> the agenda is run electronically on the day - that will exclude a good number
> of participants.

It will not ONLY be electronic, but electronic will be available.

Mark Harris

Aug 18, 2009, 6:27:01 PM8/18/09
Courtney Johnston wrote:
> My understanding is that we're running a normal bar camp.

Yup

> The time-table will be drawn up on a whiteboard or a big piece of
> paper and then, come starting time, people who want to secure a
> speaking slot grab a pen and slap up their topic.

Yup.

> The timetable then stays up where everyone can see it. It's a 'living'
> timetable - if you want to refine your topic or combine with another
> speaker, that's not a problem. If someone wants to transcribe the
> timetable onto the Google calendar, that's lovely, but no one will
> lose out if they're not online.

Yup. I believe that Mike intends to transcribe it into the Google
calendar for those that want it.

> Personally, I plan to stay offline all day and concentrate on what
> people are saying, not screens.

Me too! </aol>

~mark

David Earle

Aug 18, 2009, 10:07:14 PM8/18/09
to nzopengo...@googlegroups.com
Thinking about this a bit more - one way I would like to see the google
calendar used is to gather together our notes and insights from the sessions.
So if Mike (and others) can record the topics of the sessions as they happen
on the day - then the rest of us can go into the calendar later and add our
notes and impressions - and "hey presto!" we have a collaborative record of
the day.

> The timetable then stays up where everyone can see it. It's a 'living'
> timetable - if you want to refine your topic or combine with another
> speaker, that's not a problem. If someone wants to transcribe the
> timetable onto the Google calendar, that's lovely, but no one will
> lose out if they're not online.

Yup. I believe that Mike intends to transcribe it into the Google calendar
for those that want it.

> Personally, I plan to stay offline all day and concentrate on what
> people are saying, not screens.

Me too! </aol>

DISCLAIMER

Gavin Treadgold

Aug 18, 2009, 10:17:34 PM8/18/09
to nzopengo...@googlegroups.com
David - these would probably be better captured in the open.govt.nz
wiki.

<http://wiki.open.org.nz/Main_Page>

What we could do is add a link to each session entries URL field in
the Google calendar that links through to the session's wiki page? Of
course we could categorise every session page with
[[Category:BarCamp09]] or similar to provide a nice index of all the
pages relevant to the BC as well.

Cheers Gav

Kevin Richards

Aug 18, 2009, 10:27:15 PM8/18/09
to nzopengo...@googlegroups.com
The beauty of all the new fangled technology (eg twitter, google apps, blogging, ...) is that they are easy, fast and instant. Simple annotations and comments (stats too) as the meeting/conference progresses. It only takes a few seconds to add a comment at the time, causing little distraction, and if everyone has an input this results in contributions from a wide range of people, creating useful (semi-useful) data/annotations etc. It is always less attractive and less easy to add annotations/comments later.

Kevin

David Earle

Aug 19, 2009, 12:05:52 AM8/19/09
to nzopengo...@googlegroups.com
Good idea, Gavin.

I had thought that you could add comments and notes to events in Google
Calendar - I have had a look and can't find that feature - not sure if it has
been discontinued or I am totally confused with something else.

Aug 19, 2009, 7:53:04 AM8/19/09
to NZ Open Govt Data Barcamp and Hackfest
I think there are those amongst us that love the geekery of having a
Google Calendar on the day BUT will probably go along with everyone
else and look at the bits of paper on the wall :-)

But I do like the idea of using the calendar to record each session.
(not sure how it'll work though with multiple editors - a Google Doc
will handle it just fine, share and share alike peeps)

Editing an event looks like this - let me know if you can't edit and
get to this:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/miramarmike/Enterprise%202%20NZ%20Style/GoogleCalendar/editing_barcamp_calendar_session.png

Jo - Mesh|net

Aug 19, 2009, 9:59:43 AM8/19/09
to NZ Open Govt Data Barcamp and Hackfest
I'm a total geek, so would go as far as to suggest you could auto dump
the event tweets into a (separate?) calendar as well... ;)
Twistory <http://twistory.net/>

Brett Cooper

Aug 28, 2009, 1:59:20 PM8/28/09
to nzopengo...@googlegroups.com
A google doc for each session would work better, the calendar description would contain the link to that shared document.

The tweets are already in a log as I think they will have a unique hash tag for the event.