mike.riversdale@miramarmike.co.nz has shared a calendar with you

mike.ri...@miramarmike.co.nz

Jun 30, 2010, 12:08:42 AM6/30/10
to NZ Open Govt Data Barcamp and Hackfest

Hello NZ Open Govt Data Barcamp and Hackfest,

We are writing to let you know that mike.ri...@miramarmike.co.nz has given you access to manage events and sharing settings for the Google Calendar called "NZ Open Govt".

Click this link to add the calendar.

- The Google Calendar Team

Jim Whitman

Jun 30, 2010, 2:48:25 AM6/30/10
to nzopengo...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mike. Thanks. Now Monday's barcamp is over, is there going to be a follow up with something more real? :-) Reports remind me of the 'barcamp' that followed the Google bar camp - stage-managed by sponsors, structured to avoid the content of discussion reaching the masses. Sounds like a hard sell in a velvet glove. We should copyright 'barcamp'. Jim

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/jimwhitman

barnacle

Jun 30, 2010, 4:07:09 AM6/30/10
to NZ Open Govt Data Barcamp and Hackfest
Hi Jim,

Monday ended up not really being a barcamp but it was useful. There
was no MS astroturfing and some really good discussions went on.
Calling it not 'real' is doing the event a disservice. It was and
event, it happened and a lot of people got some valuable things out of
it.

Thanks,
Glen

On Jun 30, 6:48 pm, Jim Whitman <jim.whit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Mike. Thanks. Now Monday's barcamp is over, is there going to be a
> follow up with something more real? :-) Reports remind me of the 'barcamp'
> that followed the Google bar camp - stage-managed by sponsors, structured to
> avoid the content of discussion reaching the masses. Sounds like a hard sell
> in a velvet glove. We should copyright 'barcamp'. Jim
>
> On 30 June 2010 16:08, mike.riversd...@miramarmike.co.nz <
>

> mike.riversd...@miramarmike.co.nz> wrote:
> > Hello NZ Open Govt Data Barcamp and Hackfest,
>
> > We are writing to let you know that mike.riversd...@miramarmike.co.nz has
> > given you access to manage events and sharing settings for the Google
> > Calendar called "NZ Open Govt".
>
> > Click this link to add the calendar<http://www.google.com/calendar/render?cid=gmeclgm8mueio8p9dhk05e4...@group.calendar.google.com>
> > .
> > - The Google Calendar Team
>
> > --
> > .

Jim Whitman

Jun 30, 2010, 8:08:34 AM6/30/10
to nzopengo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Glen

Sorry to sound so negative - I didn't attend because I had not heard it was on. I would have been disappointed to discover that it wasn't a real barcamp. I don't like to be miss lead.

I've been to all of the others and I've liked the scope they've given people to become leaders in their own way. I suppose for me, the idea of an unconference was also about ensuring that politicians, bureaucrats and oligarchs were kept in their place. Since OpenGovernment2010 wasn't a barcamp, then I guess that the people present would have made their adjustments to the change in regimen.

As to this event, I was alerted in the first instance by @glenmoody on Twitter. He's in the UK :-)

To be more specific, Glen, I'm sorry about my comment about 'real', but perhaps you can see where I'm coming from.

Otherwise, I've relied on an account of the event from the CoffeeGeek blog. It said that the discussions were good/excellent and that she would make sure notes were circulated. This supports the point you made - great, I'm glad it was a productive event. It sounded like it happened despite of itself.

Here's the link - A Tale of two Open Government un-unconferences http://coffee.geek.nz/tale-two-open-government-un-unconferences.html

Best wishes to you and to other members of the group.

Jim

Colin Jackson

Jun 30, 2010, 3:10:36 PM6/30/10
to nzopengo...@googlegroups.com
Jim

You may also want to read my write-up of the day at http://it.gen.nz/2010/06/28/good-in-parts/ .

Colin

Tabitha

Jun 30, 2010, 5:11:13 PM6/30/10
to NZ Open Govt Data Barcamp and Hackfest
Thanks for the write ups on the conference.
Are we going to have an unconference this year as well? If we do, can
we have it on a weekend so those of us in other cities can fly in?

Tabitha

Jim Whitman

Jun 30, 2010, 5:15:01 PM6/30/10
to nzopengo...@googlegroups.com