CityCamp in Chicago, Democracies Online

1 view

Steven Clift

Nov 2, 2009, 3:10:56 PM11/2/09
to nzopengo...@googlegroups.com
It would be great to see some New Zealand local Gov 2.0 builders in the
mix at CityCamp in Chicago this January. See the announcement below
and pass it along.

Also, it has been a number a few years since I've spoken in New Zealand, so
the Kiwi contingent on the 700+ person "Democracies Online
Exchange" online community of practice is not as big nor vocal as it
used to be.

If you are interested in the democratic/transparency/community
solutions side of "Government 2.0," then this is the very
international online group for you: http://dowire.org/x   (You are
also welcome on my main Newswire - http://dowire.org
http://twitter.com/democracy

Steven Clift - http://stevenclift.com
 Executive Director - http://E-Democracy.Org
 Follow me - http://twitter.com/democracy

CityCamp - Where Gov 2.0 meets local - Chicago Jan 23-24
           http://barcamp.pbworks.com/CityCamp

This is exciting. An unconference/barcamp focused on the *local*
aspects of Gov 2.0 - which will likely include a healthy mix of
interactive citizen-centric participation, community engagement,
increased transparency, etc. or it would be boring.

"CityCamp explores and documents ideas, lessons learned, best
practices, and patterns related to use of social/participatory media,
linked open data, and "Web as platform" at the local level."

Info/register (its free, but space is limited):
  http://barcamp.pbworks.com/CityCamp

Then, join the online group/e-list for the event:
 http://forums.e-democracy.org/groups/citycamp

And follow the event on Twitter:
 http://twitter.com/CityCamp
 http://twitter.com/#search?q=citycamp

E-Democracy.org will be bringing a number of next generation online
civic engagement ideas to the table as we launch our "Participation
3.0" effort (stay tuned! http://e-democracy.org/p3 ). If you are
willing to exchange some volunteer coding, E-Democracy.org may have a
few partial travel stipends available. Drop me a note, if you want
more information - these are not first come, first serve:
cl...@e-democracy.org

For those new to "unconferences" or "barcamps," they typically start
with a session where people plaster the wall with session ideas/things
they would like to learn or do, themes get clustered and sessions get
mapped out over the time available. Sometimes a few pre-set sessions
are determined ahead of time and it is not usual to mix in a special
speaker or two for a hybrid experience. See some of the past events
linked from here - http://barcamp.pbworks.com/CityCamp - to get a
sense of how it works (10x better than typical top down conferences
from my experience) or watch this mini-video on the Public Media Camp
- http://vimeo.com/7244760 - Our check out this image from the
Minnesota Voices Unconference -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21699097@N05/3426923800/ .