NZ Building Outline Pilot data in OSM

Andrew Douglas-Clifford

Jan 8, 2017, 4:03:37 PM1/8/17
to nzopengis
I was wondering what people's thoughts were on integrating LINZ's building outline pilot data into OSM. It seems like it has a lot of potential for OSM given that many areas still lack building polygons.

Is it something that's worth looking into now, or waiting for a non-pilot dataset to be released in the future?

Eliot

Jan 9, 2017, 11:26:09 PM1/9/17
to nzopengis

On Monday, 9 January 2017 10:03:37 UTC+13, Andrew Douglas-Clifford wrote:
I was wondering what people's thoughts were on integrating LINZ's building outline pilot data into OSM. It seems like it has a lot of potential for OSM given that many areas still lack building polygons.

Is it something that's worth looking into now, or waiting for a non-pilot dataset to be released in the future?

Not worth it with the pilot data IMO:

 "While some checks on the data have taken place, there are still errors present. *This is not a supported dataset and will be removed from LDS after the pilot"

Timothée Duhamel

Apr 3, 2020, 7:14:36 AM4/3/20
to nzopengis
The building outline data was released in 2019: https://medium.com/on-location/an-open-building-outlines-dataset-for-new-zealand-eef8b558ef7a
Data dictionary for the dataset is here: https://nz-buildings.readthedocs.io/en/latest/introduction.html

Personally I would love to see this data imported into OSM as a LINZ-2-OSM import. but maybe there are other datasets which should be higher priority?

Aside: Is this message board still the main discussion forum for this topic? I know there has also been discussion on the talk-nz osm mailing list, and the Open Government Ninjas group

Cheers,
Tim

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at

Rob Alley

Apr 4, 2020, 4:07:27 AM4/4/20
to nzopengis
On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 12:14:36 AM UTC+13, Timothée Duhamel wrote:
The building outline data was released in 2019: https://medium.com/on-location/an-open-building-outlines-dataset-for-new-zealand-eef8b558ef7a
Data dictionary for the dataset is here: https://nz-buildings.readthedocs.io/en/latest/introduction.html

Personally I would love to see this data imported into OSM as a LINZ-2-OSM import. but maybe there are other datasets which should be higher priority?

Aside: Is this message board still the main discussion forum for this topic? I know there has also been discussion on the talk-nz osm mailing list, and the Open Government Ninjas group

Cheers,
Tim

Hi Tim,
  I've had a look at this data and considered trying to organise an import but a couple of things put me off 1) For Auckland at least the quality seemed pretty low - it looked to me like it may have been extracted from aerial imagery through some sort of poorly trained automated process, seemed to have quite a lot of shadows and areas of high contrast wrongly recognised as buildings.  2) I wasn't sure that the LINZ permission to import to OSM actually covers this data, isn't it just a collection of data from various sources (e.g. Auckalnd Council) for which we don't have an OSM usage waiver yet?  3) Gun shy after previous complaints on importing Auckland buildings via LINZ-2-OSM 4) Can't be bothered putting up with the grief of trying to shepherd an import through imports approval process.  Good luck if you want to try and organise this and I'm certainly willing to help out on the actual imprt/conflation.

  I think the best place to discuss this is on the talk-nz mailing lst.

Cheers, Rob.

Timothée Duhamel

Apr 5, 2020, 10:27:25 AM4/5/20
to nzop...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your thoughts Rob,
I agree that the quality of the outlines are often not the best, but the extent of the coverage alone would make it a valuable addition. Deduplication and conflation would surely be a challenge.
I'm in much the same boat as you - willing to help out with an import, but hesitant to try organise it myself, considering I have not been involved with any imports before.

OK I'll stick to the talk-nz mailing list, best not to fragment an already quiet community.