Announcing: OpenStreetCam competition

Martijn van Exel

Dec 9, 2018, 7:33:03 AM12/9/18
to nzopengis
Hi folks,

We (Telenav map team) are holding an OpenStreetCam image capture competition. In case you're not familiar, OpenStreetCam is an open source / open data street level imagery collection platform for OSM. It is widely used to help improve OSM (through iD and JOSM) but there is not a lot of coverage in New Zealand yet. So with this competition we’re hoping to start to change that.

The TL;DR is: collect as many OSC images as you can between now and Jan 31, the top 3 contributors get $100 / $25 JB Hi-Fi gift cards!

Happy mapping / capturing!
Martijn

Martijn van Exel

Dec 13, 2018, 3:54:36 AM12/13/18
to nzop...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

We added an additional holiday prize for the 2 mappers who collect the most imagery before Christmas.
Details added on the competition page! You need 25k points minimum to be eligible for this prize, but since coverage is very low in both NZ and Australia, you collect points very quickly.

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy mapping / capturing,
--
  Martijn van Exel

Martijn van Exel

Jan 8, 2019, 11:34:01 PM1/8/19
to nzop...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We have the results for the most prolific OpenStreetCam contributors for New Zealand for the period Dec 1 - Dec 24:

********************************
#1 ---> ivss-xx with 60197 points
#2 ---> david-blyth with 25222 points
********************************

Congratulations to you both, you have just won yourselves a $25 gift card! Please get in touch with me so I can arrange (virtual) delivery.

It's not over yet though. This was just the holiday mid point of the competition. At the end of January there will be three more prizes ($100 / $25 / $25) for the overall top contributors for the months of December and January.

If you haven't started capturing yet, no worries. New, not yet covered roads get you 10x points. That adds up pretty quickly. For example, this 26km trip is worth more than 10000 points: https://openstreetcam.org/details/1316425/0/track-info

Best,

--
  Martijn van Exel

Martijn van Exel

Jan 20, 2019, 11:59:05 AM1/20/19
to nzop...@googlegroups.com, tal...@openstreetmap.org
Hi all,

I am not sure if user david-blyth is reading on this list -- if you are, please get in touch to get your gift card.

For all others, the competition is still ongoing and you have until Jan 31 to make your way into the top 3 contributors over the months of December 2018 and January 2019 and win a $25 or $100 gift card.

Some stats so far: we started at 17 955 images in New Zealand on Dec 1, now we are at 227 644 covering 5430 km of which 3140 unique.

Happy mapping / capturing :)
--
  Martijn van Exel

Martijn van Exel

Jan 25, 2019, 3:43:37 AM1/25/19
to nzop...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Let me give you a status update on the OpenStreetCam competition. We have about a week to go before the $100 prize and two $25 prizes will be awarded to the most prolific OpenStreetCammers. If you have the app, you can pull up the leaderboard and get some idea of where you stand.

The community had collected 18,000 images in New Zealand before December 1, when the competition started. Since then, you collected 69,000 more. We now have 2150 km covered in New Zealand. Wonderful!

But still quite sparse. That brings me to Waylens dashboard cameras. Telenav had customized cameras made that capture and upload OpenStreetCam imagery automatically. OSM US has around 20 that they lend to their members. A blog post[1] explains in a bit more detail what these cameras are. We have some to give out. I would prefer to give them to one or more local communities who want to make an effort to capture their entire city or area. If you’re interested, please get in touch with me off-list.

Happy mapping,
Martijn

Martijn van Exel

Feb 2, 2019, 7:03:40 AM2/2/19
to OSM Australian Talk List, tal...@openstreetmap.org, nzop...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

The OpenStreetCam competitions in Australia and New Zealand are now concluded!
Thank you all who participated! We will announce the winners next week. I need to collect and verify the data.

No reason to stop collecting images! They help tremendously with mapping OSM. As a matter of fact, I created a quick screen-cast to show you how I use OSC detections and images for mapping. Every time I do this I can’t help but think of Clarke’s third law — any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Here’s the link to the video —> https://www.dropbox.com/s/406zllf3qrxpcop/openstreetcam-speed-limit-australia.mp4?dl=0 and since Dropbox is definitely not magic, let me know if you can’t see this. Please let me know your feedback on working with OSC in JOSM.

Also — we have our first couple of Waylens Horizon cameras[1] on the way to you. If you’re interested in capturing with these advanced cameras, let me know. We plan to get more of them in your hands either through a lending program or a follow-up OSC competition.

Martijn

[1] Read a bit more about these cameras on the OSM US blog: https://www.openstreetmap.us/2018/05/camera-lending-program/

On Jan 24, 2019, at 3:47 PM, Martijn van Exel <m...@rtijn.org> wrote:

Hi all!

Let me give you a status update on the OpenStreetCam competition. We have about a week to go before the $100 prize and two $25 prizes will be awarded to the most prolific OpenStreetCammers. If you have the app, you can pull up the leaderboard and get some idea of where you stand.

The community had collected 144,000 images in Australia before December 1, when the competition started. Since then, you collected 191,000 more, comfortably doubling coverage in Australia. Wonderful! The last few days saw a particularly nice trend upwards.

Also, a word on Waylens dashboard cameras. Telenav had customized cameras made that capture and upload OpenStreetCam imagery automatically. OSM US has around 20 that they lend to their members. A blog post[1] explains in a bit more detail what these cameras are. We have some to give out. I would prefer to give them to one or more local communities who want to make an effort to capture their entire city or area. If you’re interested, please get in touch with me off-list.
On Jan 18, 2019, at 2:26 PM, Martijn van Exel <m...@rtijn.org> wrote:

Hi all,

I am not sure if user robbie-blogs is reading on this list -- if you are, please get in touch to get your gift card.

For all others, the competition is still ongoing and you have until Jan 31 to make your way into the top 3 contributors over the months of December 2018 and January 2019 and win a $25 or $100 gift card.

Some stats so far: we started at 126 752 images in Australia on Dec 1, now we are at 330 648 covering 8882 km of which 6293 unique.

Happy mapping / capturing :)
--
  Martijn van Exel

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019, at 16:40, Martijn van Exel wrote:
Hi all,

We have the results for the most prolific OpenStreetCam contributors for Australia for the period Dec 1 - Dec 24:

********************************
#1 ---> robbie-bloggs with 127971 points
#2 ---> steve91 with 65470 points
********************************

Congratulations to you both, you have just won yourselves an $25 Amazon gift card! Please get in touch with me so I can arrange (virtual) delivery.

It's not over yet though. This was just the holiday mid point of the competition. At the end of January there will be three more prizes ($100 / $25 / $25) for the overall top contributors for the months of December and January.

If you haven't started capturing yet, no worries. New, not yet covered roads get you 10x points. That adds up pretty quickly. For example, this 20km trip is worth more than 6000 points: https://openstreetcam.org/details/1318295/0/track-info

Best,
--
  Martijn van Exel

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018, at 12:33, Martijn van Exel wrote:
Folks,

We added an additional holiday prize for the 2 mappers who collect the most imagery before Christmas.
Details added on the competition page! You need 25k points minimum to be eligible for this prize, but since coverage is very low in Australia,  you collect points very quickly.

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy mapping / capturing,
--
  Martijn van Exel

On Fri, Dec 7, 2018, at 11:53, Martijn van Exel wrote:
Hi folks,

We (Telenav map team) are holding an OpenStreetCam image capture competition. In case you're not familiar, OpenStreetCam is an open source / open data street level imagery collection platform for OSM. It is widely used to help improve OSM (through iD and JOSM) but there is not a lot of coverage in Australia yet. So with this competition we’re hoping to start to change that.

The TL;DR is: collect as many OSC images as you can between now and Jan 31, the top 3 contributors get $100 / $25 Amazon gift cards!

Happy mapping / capturing!
Martijn

PS in case you’re in NZ, we have a separate competition staring there as well, https://github.com/openstreetcam/competitions/wiki/New-Zealand-Competition-Dec-2018