Greetings Maplings!

QIH

Dec 6, 2017, 5:12:32 AM12/6/17
to nzopengis
Greetings maplings,

I live in Dunedin, and I added about 100 properties (Thought it was less) in the Wakari area of Dunedin yesterday.

Method used:

Use OSM to locate the relevant property on the street
Use the Dunedin City Council Web Maps for verification of property, and correct address
Use Google Maps Street View (I know, right) for an external look at the respective property
Use the "Area" tool in the default editor on the OSM image at low zoom, very pixellated but offers better visual alignment
Add minimal features to the 'House' description of "Street number, street name, suburb, postcode as per NZ Post, number of levels of house"
Save & upload, repeat

I have some experience using GIS systems, am very competent with OSS tools & O/Ses but do not have a GPS device so currently trace work is out.

However, for the time being I am happy to keep adding houses, and local features.

TIA, QIH.

Rob Alley

Dec 6, 2017, 2:00:19 PM12/6/17
to nzopengis
Welcome,

This list is pretty quiet so always good to see a new contributor (pretty new here myself).

Personally I've found JOSM a much easier editor to use for adding buildings, and the ESRI imagery (available under ID and JOSM) much better than the default LINZ for tracing.

With the address info, as per https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/nzopengis/jMD1fCVYaHY there is currently an ongoing import of address information.  If you feel up to it please consider getting involved - it would certainly reduce a lot of your work in manually entering addresses.

Cheers, Rob.

Quaak Haak

Dec 6, 2017, 4:50:07 PM12/6/17
to nzop...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply. If this list is quiet, where is everyone else?

I did read about the other methods of editing OSM and I'll take a look today, it would be nice to be able to add addresses in a more automated manner.

Any hassles, I'll get back to you.

Question: since the list is pretty quiet, what is the general direction (if any) of the OSM/GEO community in NZ? Or are other people too heavily involved with Government or vendor-based GIS work?

Thanks, QIH.

Andrew Harvey

Dec 6, 2017, 5:06:26 PM12/6/17
to nzop...@googlegroups.com
On 6 December 2017 at 08:29, QIH <quaak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Use the Dunedin City Council Web Maps for verification of property, and
> correct address

Are you sure you can use this information?

Dunedin City Council 1999-2017. The information on this site is copyrighted by Dunedin City Council. All rights reserved.

Upon request, information available on this website may be used free of charge provided that the source status of the information is acknowledged.

To me that means we don't have permission to use their data in OSM.

> Use Google Maps Street View (I know, right) for an external look at the
> respective property

We can't use Google Maps, even Street View for OSM. So please don't copy information from there as it jeopardises your edits and may mean they'll need to be reverted, loosing some of your good work like tracing from imagery we are allowed to use.

By all means map, but please only use sources we are allowed to use like LINZ, ground surveys, Mapillary or other imagery layers.

Quaak Haak

Dec 6, 2017, 5:10:00 PM12/6/17
to nzop...@googlegroups.com
I use those sources as a reference only, not copying anything from them. It is a verifier only for me to look at; if 3 maps identify a house as number "X", I can be assured that the house is in fact number "X".

That is the extent of the use of this information.

QIH

Dec 6, 2017, 5:25:48 PM12/6/17
to nzopengis
However I will read the link that RA posted above, and set myself up to do correct LINZ imports ... might as well be squeaky clean and more efficient 8-)

... if you guys are greatly concerned about what I have done, after my explanation, please advise and I'd be happy to "rm -f *area"

QIH

Dec 6, 2017, 5:56:09 PM12/6/17
to nzopengis
I had a think about this and decided to remove them anyway, so all 97 area additions and their descriptors are now gone. Lesson learnt!

I have now installed JOSM, and are R'ingTFM re Linz/OSM and if I have any issues importing the LINZ data I shall ask.

Rob Alley

Dec 6, 2017, 6:44:35 PM12/6/17
to nzop...@googlegroups.com
I don't think you need to remove the building outlines if, as I understand it, you traced these from the LINZ aerial imagery.

Rob.

NIL ILLEGITIMUM CARBORUNDUM
Egotism is the anaesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.  - Frank Leahy

QIH

Dec 6, 2017, 6:47:20 PM12/6/17
to nzopengis
Yes I did, doesn't matter. They are gone, I guess it is better to be ruthless than have even a small degree of doubt. It was an interesting 4 hours of work but I'll get it sorted once I work out how to drive the Linz address thingy using JOSM.