Initial import of LINZ address data to OSM is complete.

Eliot Blennerhassett

Jun 17, 2018, 10:19:21 PM6/17/18
to imp...@openstreetmap.org, tal...@openstreetmap.org, nzopengis
Greetings all,

I'm happy to announce that the initial import of 1.9M New Zealand
addresses from LINZ to OSM is complete[1] (about 40K addresses were
already present)

Thanks to Rob Alley linz_robA (825,470 nodes) for his persistence!
Also thanks to aaron_linz, gaddman_linz, Ironman324 for their contributions.

This doesn't mean we have absolutely 100% coverage or 100% accuracy. For
instance, where the LINZ data had many addresses at a single point,
these were often deleted from the import i.e. left for a later update
when a way of dealing with them is determined.

The existing addressed objects in OSM were not checked in detail for
consistency with the LINZ data.

A different approach will be required for maintenance vs this initial
import. I'm looking at Norway[2] as a possible model.

--
Eliot

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/LINZ/Address_Import
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Addresses#Norway

Hugh Barnes

Jun 17, 2018, 10:47:24 PM6/17/18
to nzop...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations and thank you!

Have not had a look and I'm very sorry I didn't get the chance to help
(for my own sake too, would have been interesting!). I also apologise,
Eliot, that I did not even reply to your PM asking if I was keen to
participate.

A well organised, well communicated, and well "persisted" project from
what I can tell. Thanks also be to your assistants. This is super cool
to have!

Cheers