Re: [nzopengis] Looking for a new owner

Andrew Harvey

Jan 12, 2018, 5:38:56 AM1/12/18
to nzop...@googlegroups.com

On 12 Jan. 2018 8:11 pm, "Simon" <cucumber...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I started this group 10 years ago when I was living and working in NZ. Since then I've retained ownership of the group, which amounts to moderating the odd message here and there.

I'm no longer living in NZ or actively involved with OSM or the industry and would love to pass ownership to someone else who is more active, if anyone is interested in becoming an owner then let me know.

Thanks

Simon

Simon

Jan 12, 2018, 9:31:26 PM1/12/18
to nzopengis
@Andrew - are you proposing closing down this list?

Andrew Harvey

Jan 12, 2018, 9:42:16 PM1/12/18
to nzop...@googlegroups.com
I'm actually from Australia and mainly on this list to keep up to date with what's happening with OSM in NZ so I don't think I should have much say, it should be up to those on this list to decide what they want to do. If it did count for anything I would vote to close this list and move all NZ OSM discussion to a talk-nz or similar on the OSMF hosted mailing lists.

For the Australian OSM list we use the OSMF mailing lists and I find they work really well and in my opinion it's preferable to have the NZ list together with the others on OSMF servers. It removes the dependency on a 3rd party service from Google, and means people don't need a Google account to post and subscribe when using the OSMF mailing lists (as far as I can tell you need one for Google Groups).

Olly Betts

Jan 12, 2018, 11:03:18 PM1/12/18
to nzop...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 01:41:53PM +1100, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> I'm actually from Australia and mainly on this list to keep up to date with
> what's happening with OSM in NZ so I don't think I should have much say, it
> should be up to those on this list to decide what they want to do. If it
> did count for anything I would vote to close this list and move all NZ OSM
> discussion to a talk-nz or similar on the OSMF hosted mailing lists.
>
> For the Australian OSM list we use the OSMF mailing lists and I find they
> work really well and in my opinion it's preferable to have the NZ list
> together with the others on OSMF servers. It removes the dependency on a
> 3rd party service from Google, and means people don't need a Google account
> to post and subscribe when using the OSMF mailing lists (as far as I can
> tell you need one for Google Groups).

The docs appears to tell you that you need a google account to
subscribe, e.g. "But you'll need a Google Account to: [...] Join a
group" according to
https://support.google.com/groups/answer/1067205?hl=en

But actually just sending an email to the list address but adding
+subscribe before the @, and then replying to the response will
subscribe you (I just retested this with this list using a different
email address).

Nominally this list has a broader remit than just OSM ("Discussions
about Open Source GIS in New Zealand"), but in reality it all seems
to be OSM-related discussion, so making use of OSM's infrastructure
seems a good plan to me.

And it'll make the list easier to discover by looking at the list of
lists: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo

Cheers,
Olly

Rob Alley

Jan 13, 2018, 12:53:24 AM1/13/18
to nzop...@googlegroups.com
Another vote for moving this list into the OSMF mailing list infrastructure.
Rob

NIL ILLEGITIMUM CARBORUNDUM
Egotism is the anaesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.  - Frank Leahy

Glen Barnes

Jan 15, 2018, 2:45:55 AM1/15/18
to nzopengis
I don't think this list should be moved. But maybe OSM related talk can be moved into an OSM hosted list? I know certain people won't participate on this list due to anti-Google sentiment so moving to an OSM based list is probably a good idea. This list should still remain for non-OSM related talk though.

Cheers
Glen

Eliot

Jan 25, 2018, 7:19:04 PM1/25/18
to nzopengis

On Monday, 15 January 2018 20:45:55 UTC+13, Glen Barnes wrote:
I don't think this list should be moved. But maybe OSM related talk can be moved into an OSM hosted list? I know certain people won't participate on this list due to anti-Google sentiment so moving to an OSM based list is probably a good idea.

+1

This list should still remain for non-OSM related talk though.

Is there much of this? is the talk maybe already going on somewhere else?

Simon

Feb 3, 2018, 3:30:51 AM2/3/18
to nzopengis
There seems to be a consensus that there are suitable alternatives, therefore I am going to close this group at the end of February 2018

If anyone wishes for this group to remain open then let me know and I will transfer ownership to them

Thx

Simon

Harry Chapman

Feb 3, 2018, 3:51:24 PM2/3/18
to nzopengis
I don't have any objections, but is there a NZ list on OSM actually set up yet?

Eliot Blennerhassett

Feb 3, 2018, 6:20:24 PM2/3/18
to nzop...@googlegroups.com, Harry Chapman
On 04/02/18 09:51, Harry Chapman wrote:
> I don't have any objections, but is there a NZ list on OSM actually set
> up yet?

I took the liberty of requesting it. Assuming response is yes, I'd hope
we'd get a few volunteers from this group to be list admins.

> Hello Michael,
>
> I'm contacting you as instructed here
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mailing_lists#Requests_for_new_lists
>
> Until now, OSM discussions in New Zealand have taken place in a google
> group. However, the owner of this group no longer wishes to maintain
> it, and general approval was given to moving OSM-related talk to an OSMF
> hosted mailing list. See here for the discussion in that group.
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/nzopengis/D74saY3Wsxk
>
> I'm sure you'll let me know if you need any more information.

Glen Barnes

Feb 3, 2018, 7:07:53 PM2/3/18
to nzopengis
I object. This list is not just OSM and occasionally has other posts that are non-OSM which should not be on the OSM list. I think this list should stay open for other discussions unless there is also another GIS related forum that people can use.

Cheers
Glen

Simon

Feb 4, 2018, 3:42:36 PM2/4/18
to nzopengis
@Glen if you’re happy to be made an owner then I can do this and we can leave the list open?

Simon

Eliot Blennerhassett

May 29, 2018, 5:13:55 PM5/29/18
to nzop...@googlegroups.com
On 05/02/18 09:42, Simon wrote:
> @Glen if you’re happy to be made an owner then I can do this and we can leave the list open?
>
> Simon

Whats the current status of this? Did Glen take over the list ownership?

Hamish

May 30, 2018, 5:44:41 AM5/30/18
to nzopengis
Hi folks,

Glen wrote:
> [...] This list should still remain for non-OSM related talk though.

I'm in agreement with Glen; it's a Good Thing for there to be a central, known,
and respected place for discussions on Open (source+data+collaborative
crowds) GIS in NZ. In my estimation the fact that the list has de-facto become
the NZ OSM coordination point is merely a historical artifact. My main concern
on the OSM side is that Kiwis interested in helping out be able to
find us. Hopefully
the OSM wiki section on NZ explains that well enough but I concede that someone
scanning through the list of OSM mailing lists might not discover us.
On the other
hand, we are a small community and if we divide our efforts both
streams may fail
to reach critical mass.

I'll second Glen to take over moderatorship, but if he doesn't want it
I'll do it,
although I promise to be a somewhat negligent moderator as spare time is in
short supply these days and I'm often in the field away from the 'net
for weeks at
a time.

regards & 3 cheers for everything we've accomplished on this list over
the last decade,
Hamish

Hamish

May 30, 2018, 5:56:00 AM5/30/18
to nzopengis
ps- it was pretty cool to be on a long haul Air NZ flight recently and see
that the zoomed-in flight-progress map came from us. Unfortunately the
stranger sitting next to me didn't really share my excitement when I pointed
out the OSM tiles, or maybe they just thought I was a complete nutter. :^)

Glen Barnes

Jun 3, 2018, 9:28:37 PM6/3/18
to nzopengis
I can take over the ownership.