LINZ river-cl imports

Rob Alley

Sep 7, 2017, 8:31:32 PM9/7/17
to nzopengis

I’ve been doing some LINZ river-cl imports around Auckland and Northland and had a couple of comments on the changesets.  This has highlighted that the LINZ import is probably not up to date with current import best practices.

With this in mind I want to try and bring things into line by:

  1. Creating a new import documentation page, specific to the river-cl import and link this from the existing LINZ page

  2. Discuss the proposed continuation of the river-cl import on this list

  3. Post the import proposal to the imports list

  4. Once all the wrinkles have been ironed out continue the import through LINZ2OSM as in the past.

Bearing in mind that a lot of work has been done in the past by others I just wanted to post this here to gauge feedback before starting.

Cheers, Rob

Aydin Maxfield

Sep 8, 2017, 2:48:59 AM9/8/17
to nzop...@googlegroups.com

I have done much of the uploads, but have stopped on this layer.

I have found in general there are better sources for stream data than the linz. The linz is wildly inaccurate.

My personal recommendation is that all stream data be on hold until the local and district councils can provide a better source for their regions.
And if not, only then does the linz streams for that area be uploaded.

Hamish

Sep 8, 2017, 8:22:47 PM9/8/17
to nzopengis
Rob Alley wrote:
> I’ve been doing some LINZ river-cl imports around Auckland and Northland and
> had a couple of comments on the changesets. This has highlighted that the
> LINZ import is probably not up to date with current import best practices.

Hi Rob,

could you summarise what the objections are?

Certainly the river-cl layer is big, tricky, better in some places
than others, and requires a lot of manual checking and flow direction
fixing by the uploader.

thanks,
Hamish

Rob Alley

Sep 8, 2017, 11:08:32 PM9/8/17
to nzopengis

On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 12:22:47 PM UTC+12, Hamish wrote:
could you summarise what the objections are?

Certainly the river-cl layer is big, tricky, better in some places
than others, and requires a lot of manual checking and flow direction
fixing by the uploader.

Hi Hamish, there haven't been any real objections but questions about where the import was discussed and such like (see http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/50614775 for examples).  The wiki pages that exist for the LINZ import are pretty out of date and don't really contain the information requested by the imports group.  I think the biggest hurdle though would be acceptance of the tagging used, I get the impression the LINZ2OSM standard of tagging each object with 4 additional source/attribution tags is considered a bit excessive by many.  I was hopping by trying to get the import wiki page sorted and the plan announced on the imports list I could head off any objections and get this underway again.

I'm very keen to get more waterways since they make quite a difference to the usefulness of OSM for trail running and mountain biking.

Agreed on the manual checking etc., removing the duplicate nodes in JOSM is easy enough but fixing direction is a bit of a pain.
Rob.