WHITEBAIT stand for SALE

The Good Life

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00

I have a registerd whitebait stand for sale on the Hokitika river. The site is a front one on the south
side of the main island above the Hokitika bridge.This is an excelent position as it allow's you to either fish across
the gravell bar when the south channel is running to the south or when it return's to flow down the middle or better
still when it angel's to the north. There is an older type Nuffield tractor included with this deal that i use to cross
the north channel with to get to the island, It's size and weight make's it an excellent safe way to cross at any time
day or night. There are numurous screen's/ net's/ timber etc as well. For those that don't know these regested site's
are able to be moved to other part's of the Hokitika river simply by finding somewhere that suit's the regulation's that
apply but mostly it can help you the fisher man to find a spot that you believe is the place that is going to put that
smile on the dial when you watch em swiming into your net.
Priced at $10,000 inclusive of GST plus some fishing gear/ plus tractor

Please reply to
Ian Rush
Ph 025-2277592 anytime
Ph 03-319-6195 evening's

Email blu...@pop.ihug.com.nz

Snoopy

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 23:56:01 GMT, blu...@pop.ihug.co.nz (The Good
Life) wrote:

>Priced at $10,000 inclusive of GST plus some fishing gear/ plus tractor

Is it legal to sell a whitebait stand? I mean who exactly do you
register the site with?

And if the river is wide enough you can just put your net straight in
front of any other person can you not? So 'Good Life' unloads the
old tractor gets to keep his whitebait and the $10,000! No wonder he
calls himself 'Good Life'.SNOOPY

Message posted by SNOOPY using *new* 'Forte'
Free Agent V1.21/32- http://www.forteinc.com
(Upgrade for y2k issues)

The Good Life

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00

You know somthing Snoopy, For a person who obviously sit's at his computer night after night trying his best to
respond in a negative way to everything and everyone who use's the group's in an informative way your basic knowledge of
the general way's of life in this country sux's. You would be better of spending your time trying to discuss positive
things with group use'rs then you would realize that unless you wanted to actualy buy somthing that was advertized for
SALE and not for discussion in your, yes your special smart way,you would save yourself a lot of time hence being able
to spend it learning more of how the real world operates outside of your little dungen that youve locked yourself in.
Try and open the door, there is a much better life outside -- or perhaps someone else hold's the key !!!

Good Life

Peter Grooby

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
In article <3976c551...@news.ihug.co.nz>, blu...@pop.ihug.co.nz
says...

> You know somthing Snoopy, For a person who obviously sit's at his computer night after night trying his best to
> respond in a negative way to everything and everyone who use's the group's in an informative way your basic knowledge of
> the general way's of life in this country sux's. You would be better of spending your time trying to discuss positive
> things with group use'rs then you would realize that unless you wanted to actualy buy somthing that was advertized for

^^^^^^^^

> SALE and not for discussion in your, yes your special smart way,you would save yourself a lot of time hence being able
> to spend it learning more of how the real world operates outside of your little dungen that youve locked yourself in.
> Try and open the door, there is a much better life outside -- or perhaps someone else hold's the key !!!
>
> Good Life

You missed an apostrophe on "things", otherwise a really impressive
coverage on the incorrect usage of an apostrophe. Well done!!

Pete
Remove pants from email address to reply

Snoopy

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 21:01:13 GMT, blu...@pop.ihug.co.nz (The Good
Life) wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 12:05:31 GMT, tenn...@caverock.net.nz.N-OS-PAM (Snoopy) wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 23:56:01 GMT, blu...@pop.ihug.co.nz (The Good
>>Life) wrote:
>>>
>>>Priced at $10,000 inclusive of GST plus some fishing gear/ plus tractor
>>>
>>Is it legal to sell a whitebait stand? I mean who exactly do you
>>register the site with?
>>
>>And if the river is wide enough you can just put your net straight in
>>front of any other person can you not? So 'Good Life' unloads the
>>old tractor gets to keep his whitebait and the $10,000! No wonder he
>>calls himself 'Good Life'.
>>

>You know somthing Snoopy, For a person who obviously sits at his

>computer night after night trying his best to respond in a negative

>way to everything and everyone. <rest of negativism snipped>

Now you have got that out of the way perhaps you could actually
educate us by answering the following questions:

1/ Is it possible to own the rights to a section of a side of the
river? And how does this relate to the Queens chain which is
supposed to provide free accesss to all?
2/ If indeed the fishing rights of this particular river now reside
with the Ngai Tahu, how is it that you, as an individual, are able to
sell tribal land/fishing rights?
3/ Given that the only rule for net spacing is something like you must
not have your net within 10m(?) of the opposite river bank, and it is
quite legal to stick your net straight in front of another person, how
do you mark out your territory?

Sorry if my comments seemed negative to you. But you must realise
that the net is a place which is full of business scams, and I find it
is necessary to be suspicious of any proposition until the proposer
can satisfy the group that it is genuine. Over to you.

>Try and open the door, there is a much better life outside

Oh I do. I spend 18 hours of every day sleeping on top of my
doghouse, and what a great view of the universe I get. Didn't help
me much the other night when looking at that eclipse though ;-)

>-- or perhaps someone else hold's the key

Yes, that round headed kid doesn't take me out much ;-). SNOOPY

Corky

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 06:23:07 GMT, tenn...@caverock.net.nz.N-OS-PAM
(Snoopy) wrote:

>Now you have got that out of the way perhaps you could actually
>educate us by answering the following questions:
>
>1/ Is it possible to own the rights to a section of a side of the
>river? And how does this relate to the Queens chain which is
>supposed to provide free accesss to all?
>2/ If indeed the fishing rights of this particular river now reside
>with the Ngai Tahu, how is it that you, as an individual, are able to
>sell tribal land/fishing rights?
>3/ Given that the only rule for net spacing is something like you must
>not have your net within 10m(?) of the opposite river bank, and it is
>quite legal to stick your net straight in front of another person, how
>do you mark out your territory?

This is the first time I totally agree with you Snoopy.
I too would be very interested to hear the answers to these questions.

Good life do you have any documentation legally stating that the
mentioned land is indeed yours by law.
Cheers
Blair Corkran
Christchurch
New Zealand
Photo Restorations & Reconstructions
Corky Graphics: www.caverock.net.nz/~beam

E. Scrooge

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00

Snoopy <tenn...@caverock.net.nz.N-OS-PAM> wrote in article
<3974df49...@news.caverock.net.nz>...

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 21:01:13 GMT, blu...@pop.ihug.co.nz (The Good
> Life) wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 12:05:31 GMT, tenn...@caverock.net.nz.N-OS-PAM
(Snoopy) wrote:

> >>Is it legal to sell a whitebait stand? I mean who exactly do you
> >>register the site with?
> >>
> >>And if the river is wide enough you can just put your net straight in
> >>front of any other person can you not? So 'Good Life' unloads the
> >>old tractor gets to keep his whitebait and the $10,000! No wonder he
> >>calls himself 'Good Life'.
> >>
> >You know somthing Snoopy, For a person who obviously sits at his
> >computer night after night trying his best to respond in a negative
> >way to everything and everyone. <rest of negativism snipped>
> >
> Now you have got that out of the way perhaps you could actually
> educate us by answering the following questions:
>
> 1/ Is it possible to own the rights to a section of a side of the
> river? And how does this relate to the Queens chain which is
> supposed to provide free accesss to all?
> 2/ If indeed the fishing rights of this particular river now reside
> with the Ngai Tahu, how is it that you, as an individual, are able to
> sell tribal land/fishing rights?
> 3/ Given that the only rule for net spacing is something like you must
> not have your net within 10m(?) of the opposite river bank, and it is
> quite legal to stick your net straight in front of another person, how
> do you mark out your territory?
>
> Sorry if my comments seemed negative to you. But you must realise
> that the net is a place which is full of business scams, and I find it
> is necessary to be suspicious of any proposition until the proposer
> can satisfy the group that it is genuine. Over to you.
> >
> >Try and open the door, there is a much better life outside
> >
> Oh I do. I spend 18 hours of every day sleeping on top of my
> doghouse, and what a great view of the universe I get. Didn't help
> me much the other night when looking at that eclipse though ;-)
> >
> >-- or perhaps someone else hold's the key
> >
> Yes, that round headed kid doesn't take me out much ;-). SNOOPY

Well SNOOPY, Peanut from the "good life" (LOL) has now ended up in the
Dunedin group with his whitebait shit.
An old apple box at the side of the road, with a cardboard sign saying,
"Whitebait For Sale".
And he hopes to get $10,000 for it.
LMAO

E. Scrooge

Pip

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00

"Snoopy" <tenn...@caverock.net.nz.N-OS-PAM> And how does this relate to the

Queens chain which is
> supposed to provide free accesss to all?

Seems the Queens Chain is just a fallacy these days...I cannot walk down the
river bank I have walked for near on 15 years, because the effing bastard
has put electric fences up to stop ANYONE going there...This has been a
popular trout fishing river for years and years....
On Sunday we went to another North Canterbury river that we have been going
to for years, and that is set up like flippin' Colditz....It makes me SOOOO
mad...We aint allowed to enjoy our countryside/riverbanks anymore...the
"Lifestylers" are taking them over...Bastards....who do they think they
are????
Pip

stier

Jul 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/20/00

Peter Grooby schrieb:

> You missed an apostrophe on "things", otherwise a really impressive

> coverage on the incorrect usage of an apostrophe. Well done!!
>
> Pete
> --
> --
> Remove pants from email address to reply

Well done comment. Englisch isn't my native language but I wondered about the use of an apostrophe too.
Anyway it is very funny to read about fishing in New Zealand.
I always thought this only could happen in Germany!

Peter Grooby

Jul 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/21/00

> > You missed an apostrophe on "things", otherwise a really impressive
> > coverage on the incorrect usage of an apostrophe. Well done!!
> >
> > Pete
> > --
> > --
> > Remove pants from email address to reply
>
> Well done comment. Englisch isn't my native language but I wondered about the use of an apostrophe too.
> Anyway it is very funny to read about fishing in New Zealand.
> I always thought this only could happen in Germany!

It is sometimes referred to as the grocers apostrophe as it is commonly
seen on fruit and veg stalls.

ie
Apple's 5 for a dollar.

Snoopy

Jul 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/21/00
On Thu, 20 Jul 2000 12:03:36 +0200, stier <st...@ph-weingarten.de>
wrote:

>Well done comment. Englisch isn't my native language but
>I wondered about the use of an apostrophe too.

Perhaps I might first point out to our Deutsch friend that the
language being spoken about here is English :-)

The apostrophe has two common uses.

The first is to indicate possession. In other languages the same
effect is achieved by the use of the genitive case. In English there
is no genitive case as such and the apostrophe is left to do the same
job. The possessive is generally indicated adding an "'s" to the
person or thing that is doing the possessing.

e.g. "The country's capital city."

If we were talking about more than one country, there is no need to
add an extra "s" to a word that already ends in "s". We simply add
the apostrophe behind the existing "s".

e.g. "The countries' capital cities."

The second use is to indicate the contraction of a phrase, where one
or more letters are missed out.

For example: "I did not." may also be written as "I didn't."

I personally find this example somewhat amusing, as only the "o" has
been omitted and because it has been substituted by a "'" the same
number of characters are used as before.

The major exception to all of this is the phrase "it's". This is the
short form of "it is" and does not indicate any form of possessive
tense. Possessiveness is somewhat confusingly implied by the letters
"its" with no apostrophe attached. So to quote an example showing
both:

e.g. It's true. The volcano has brought forth its molten discharge
of lava.

HTH SNOOPY

jAmEsKiNgStOn

Jul 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/21/00
On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 20:17:19 +1200, Col <cfra...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

>a couple of years ago I was fishing jn Lake Taupo. We beached the boat to walk
>up a stream for some fly fishing. Were confronted by the hugest Hori I have ever
>seen demanding $20.00 to go any further as "We have the rights to this river and
>if you want to fish it it will cost you." This is NEW ZEALAND ???????????????

I must have met that same hori, when I was driving my new 1973 Holden
beside Lake Taupo, he ran across the road in front of my car, and his
beautiful German Shepherd dog got caught up in my radiator, & killed
instantly. It had followed Mr Hori. Poor dog. I was very
upset.....about the dog, and about my new car.

Mr hori asked for the value of his dog, and said I should not have
been driving fast (50 kph) in a 100 kph area, but when I refused to
give him money for his dog, he said " you little white bastard, I'll
throw you in the lake" and some other things in maori. I left
quickly, and then suddenly realised what racism was all about. Oh
yeah, I forgot to mention, I have maori blood in my veins too, so I'm
not a "little white bastard"......completely. LOL

James K

Pip

Jul 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/21/00

"jAmEsKiNgStOn" <enz...@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

. It had followed Mr Hori. Poor dog. I was very
> upset.....about the dog, and about my new car.

Flip..that is a horrible experience...

> Mr hori asked for the value of his dog, and said I should not have
> been driving fast (50 kph) in a 100 kph area,

Well of course...you should have known the dog was going to run out in front
of your car...DUH .. after all 50 kph is bloody fast...'specially in a 100k
area....

but when I refused to
> give him money for his dog, he said " you little white bastard, I'll
> throw you in the lake" and some other things in maori.

Oh...so THAT explains your problem...'The Curse" ;-)

, I have maori blood in my veins too, so I'm
> not a "little white bastard"......completely. LOL

Oh...dont tell Col....
i mean about about the maori blood bit...he probably already knows you are
a bastard....LOL

Pip
who is feeling FIESTY tonight...

> James K

Jan

Jul 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/21/00
Col <cfra...@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message

> "Pip" <pip...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>
> >Pip
> >who is feeling FIESTY tonight...
> >>

> I hope FIESTY is enjoying your feelings . LOL

And maybe when you've finished with FIESTY, you might want to send him in
his direction. :)

Jan

Ross Dawson

Jul 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/22/00
jAmEsKiNgStOn <enz...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 20:17:19 +1200, Col <cfra...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>"Pip" <pip...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>>

>>>"Snoopy" <tenn...@caverock.net.nz.N-OS-PAM> And how does this relate to the
>>>Queens chain which is
>>>
>>>Seems the Queens Chain is just a fallacy these days...I cannot walk down the
>>>river bank I have walked for near on 15 years, because the effing bastard
>>>has put electric fences up to stop ANYONE going there...This has been a
>>>popular trout fishing river for years and years....
>>>On Sunday we went to another North Canterbury river that we have been going
>>>to for years, and that is set up like flippin' Colditz....It makes me SOOOO
>>>mad...We aint allowed to enjoy our countryside/riverbanks anymore...the
>>>"Lifestylers" are taking them over...Bastards....who do they think they
>>>are????
>>>Pip
>>>
>>a couple of years ago I was fishing jn Lake Taupo. We beached the boat to walk
>>up a stream for some fly fishing. Were confronted by the hugest Hori I have ever
>>seen demanding $20.00 to go any further as "We have the rights to this river and
>>if you want to fish it it will cost you." This is NEW ZEALAND ???????????????
>

>I must have met that same hori, when I was driving my new 1973 Holden
>beside Lake Taupo, he ran across the road in front of my car, and his
>beautiful German Shepherd dog got caught up in my radiator, & killed

>instantly. It had followed Mr Hori. Poor dog. I was very

>upset.....about the dog, and about my new car.
>

>Mr hori asked for the value of his dog, and said I should not have

>been driving fast (50 kph) in a 100 kph area, but when I refused to

>give him money for his dog, he said " you little white bastard, I'll

>throw you in the lake" and some other things in maori. I left
>quickly, and then suddenly realised what racism was all about. Oh

>yeah, I forgot to mention, I have maori blood in my veins too, so I'm

>not a "little white bastard"......completely. LOL
>

>James K

Arrrr but in this country racism is only ever seen if it is portrayed
one particular way. I wonder if the Maori Rugby team is considdered
to be receist, or will political correctness come into play and it be
called positive discrimination.

--
Cheers for now.

Ross Dawson.

jAmEsKiNgStOn

Jul 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/22/00
On Fri, 21 Jul 2000 17:53:00 +1200, "Pip" <pip...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>"jAmEsKiNgStOn" <enz...@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

>. It had followed Mr Hori. Poor dog. I was very
>> upset.....about the dog, and about my new car.
>

>Flip..that is a horrible experience...
>>

>> Mr hori asked for the value of his dog, and said I should not have
>> been driving fast (50 kph) in a 100 kph area,
>

>Well of course...you should have known the dog was going to run out in front
>of your car...DUH .. after all 50 kph is bloody fast...'specially in a 100k
>area....
>

>but when I refused to
>> give him money for his dog, he said " you little white bastard, I'll
>> throw you in the lake" and some other things in maori.
>

>Oh...so THAT explains your problem...'The Curse" ;-)
>

>, I have maori blood in my veins too, so I'm
>> not a "little white bastard"......completely. LOL
>

>Oh...dont tell Col....
>i mean about about the maori blood bit...he probably already knows you are
>a bastard....LOL
>

>Pip
>who is feeling FIESTY tonight...
>>

>> James K

YEEEEEhhaaaaaaaaaa me to LOL

James K

jAmEsKiNgStOn

Jul 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/22/00
On Fri, 21 Jul 2000 20:37:55 +1200, Col <cfra...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

>jAmEsKiNgStOn <enz...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>I must have met that same hori, when I was driving my new 1973 Holden
>>beside Lake Taupo, he ran across the road in front of my car, and his
>>beautiful German Shepherd dog got caught up in my radiator, & killed

>>instantly. It had followed Mr Hori. Poor dog. I was very

>>upset.....about the dog, and about my new car.
>>

>>Mr hori asked for the value of his dog, and said I should not have

>>been driving fast (50 kph) in a 100 kph area, but when I refused to

>>give him money for his dog, he said " you little white bastard, I'll

>>throw you in the lake" and some other things in maori. I left
>>quickly, and then suddenly realised what racism was all about. Oh

>>yeah, I forgot to mention, I have maori blood in my veins too, so I'm

>>not a "little white bastard"......completely. LOL
>

>Next time James try and aviod the dog and take better aim . LOl
>
>>James K

Willdo Col, thanx 4 the advice. LOL

James K

graeme

Jul 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/22/00

"Snoopy" <tenn...@caverock.net.nz.N-OS-PAM> wrote in message

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 21:01:13 GMT, blu...@pop.ihug.co.nz (The Good
> Life) wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 12:05:31 GMT, tenn...@caverock.net.nz.N-OS-PAM
(Snoopy) wrote:

tractor

> >You know somthing Snoopy, For a person who obviously sits at his
> >computer night after night trying his best to respond in a negative
> >way to everything and everyone. <rest of negativism snipped>
> >
> Now you have got that out of the way perhaps you could actually
> educate us by answering the following questions:
>
> 1/ Is it possible to own the rights to a section of a side of the

> river? And how does this relate to the Queens chain which is

> supposed to provide free accesss to all?

A licensed stand does not exclude accesss to any area, it gives the owner
the exclusive right to fish for whitebait in that section of river, ie
no-one else is allowed to fish within 40m while the stand is in use.

> 2/ If indeed the fishing rights of this particular river now reside
> with the Ngai Tahu, how is it that you, as an individual, are able to
> sell tribal land/fishing rights?

They don't!

> 3/ Given that the only rule for net spacing is something like you must
> not have your net within 10m(?) of the opposite river bank, and it is
> quite legal to stick your net straight in front of another person, how
> do you mark out your territory?

All is in black and white in The Whitebait Fishing (West Coast) Regulations
1994. Easily obtained from any D.O.C. Office.

> Sorry if my comments seemed negative to you. But you must realise
> that the net is a place which is full of business scams, and I find it
> is necessary to be suspicious of any proposition until the proposer
> can satisfy the group that it is genuine. Over to you.

Ownership of the stand would be easily verified by the loal council. Do you
ask everyone in alt.cars.for.sale to prove ownership of the car they are
selling or is it just items that you obviously don't know antything about
and don't bother to research before you jump in boots'n'all?.

> >Try and open the door, there is a much better life outside
> >
> Oh I do. I spend 18 hours of every day sleeping on top of my
> doghouse, and what a great view of the universe I get. Didn't help
> me much the other night when looking at that eclipse though ;-)
> >
> >-- or perhaps someone else hold's the key
> >

> Yes, that round headed kid doesn't take me out much ;-). SNOOPY

Snoopy

Jul 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/22/00
On Sat, 22 Jul 2000 13:30:19 +1200, "graeme" <gbk...@xtra.co.nz>
wrote:

>"Snoopy" <tenn...@caverock.net.nz.N-OS-PAM> wrote in message
>>

>> 1/ Is it possible to own the rights to a section of a side of the
>> river? And how does this relate to the Queens chain which is
>> supposed to provide free accesss to all?
>

>A licensed stand does not exclude access to any area, it gives the owner

>the exclusive right to fish for whitebait in that section of river, ie
>no-one else is allowed to fish within 40m while the stand is in use.

OK, thanks for clearing that up.

>> 2/ If indeed the fishing rights of this particular river now reside
>> with the Ngai Tahu, how is it that you, as an individual, are able to
>> sell tribal land/fishing rights?
>
>They don't!

No fishing rights for Ngai Tahu on the West Coast rivers? Or no
fishing rights specifically for whitebait?

>> 3/ Given that the only rule for net spacing is something like you must
>> not have your net within 10m(?) of the opposite river bank, and it is
>> quite legal to stick your net straight in front of another person, how
>> do you mark out your territory?
>
>All is in black and white in The Whitebait Fishing (West Coast) Regulations
>1994. Easily obtained from any D.O.C. Office.

Ah , I knew the Whitebait rules on the West Coast were different in
some respects to other areas. Didn't know they had their own whole
booklet of regulations though.

>Ownership of the stand would be easily verified by the local council.

Do you mean regional Council (heck I don't even know what the Weat
Coast Regional Council is called) or City Council?

>Do you ask everyone in alt.cars.for.sale to prove ownership of the
>car they are selling

If they claimed to be selling a police car then I would ask them to
prove ownership, yes.

>or is it just items that you obviously don't know anything about

This particular for sale item was placed in the regional Canterbury
newsgroup as well as the West Coast regional newsgroup. Perhaps
'Good Life' was unaware of the fact that Whitebaiting regulations are
different in different parts of the country?

I don't think it is reasonable to post a 'Whitebait Stand for Sale' ad
in a region outside of the West Coast assuming that everybody outside
of the West Coast knows all the nuances of the West Coast whitebaiting
regulations. Particularly, as it would seem, when some of the West
Coast regulations are in direct contravention of other regulations
currently in force in other parts of the country.

>and don't bother to research

Hey, this is newsnet! Not a doctorial dissertation on fish.

>before you jump in boots'n'all?.

Like I said before, the internet is the home of scams. I admit that
sometimes my tone here is a little abrupt. But 'Good Life's original
post had a fishy edge to it. In particular all the points 1-3, that I
raised. I wanted to clear up the smell, by egging a comment from
him. Unfortunately he chose not to answer the points, but thank you
graeme for now (mostly) doing so. SNOOPY

graeme

Jul 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/23/00

> On Sat, 22 Jul 2000 13:30:19 +1200, "graeme" <gbk...@xtra.co.nz>
> wrote:
>

> >"Snoopy" <tenn...@caverock.net.nz.N-OS-PAM> wrote in message
> >>
> >> 1/ Is it possible to own the rights to a section of a side of the
> >> river? And how does this relate to the Queens chain which is
> >> supposed to provide free accesss to all?
> >
> >A licensed stand does not exclude access to any area, it gives the owner
> >the exclusive right to fish for whitebait in that section of river, ie
> >no-one else is allowed to fish within 40m while the stand is in use.
> >
> OK, thanks for clearing that up.
> >
> >> 2/ If indeed the fishing rights of this particular river now reside
> >> with the Ngai Tahu, how is it that you, as an individual, are able to
> >> sell tribal land/fishing rights?
> >
> >They don't!
> >
> No fishing rights for Ngai Tahu on the West Coast rivers? Or no
> fishing rights specifically for whitebait?
The same rights as everyone else except for the taking for a tangi or hui,
with conditions, also explained in the Regulations

> >> 3/ Given that the only rule for net spacing is something like you must
> >> not have your net within 10m(?) of the opposite river bank, and it is
> >> quite legal to stick your net straight in front of another person, how
> >> do you mark out your territory?
> >
> >All is in black and white in The Whitebait Fishing (West Coast)
Regulations
> >1994. Easily obtained from any D.O.C. Office.
> >
> Ah , I knew the Whitebait rules on the West Coast were different in
> some respects to other areas. Didn't know they had their own whole
> booklet of regulations though.
Only 8 pages long, only real difference between West Coast and rest of NZ is
slightly different season dates

> >Ownership of the stand would be easily verified by the local council.
> >
> Do you mean regional Council (heck I don't even know what the Weat
> Coast Regional Council is called) or City Council?
West Coast Regional Council,.

> >Do you ask everyone in alt.cars.for.sale to prove ownership of the
> >car they are selling
> >
> If they claimed to be selling a police car then I would ask them to
> prove ownership, yes.
> >
> >or is it just items that you obviously don't know anything about
> >
> This particular for sale item was placed in the regional Canterbury
> newsgroup as well as the West Coast regional newsgroup. Perhaps
> 'Good Life' was unaware of the fact that Whitebaiting regulations are
> different in different parts of the country?
>
> I don't think it is reasonable to post a 'Whitebait Stand for Sale' ad
> in a region outside of the West Coast assuming that everybody outside
> of the West Coast knows all the nuances of the West Coast whitebaiting
> regulations. Particularly, as it would seem, when some of the West
> Coast regulations are in direct contravention of other regulations
> currently in force in other parts of the country.
If anyone was serious about paying that kind of money and didn't check re
the validlity of the item for sale first would have to be pretty bloody
gullible or stupid or both.

> >and don't bother to research
> >
> Hey, this is newsnet! Not a doctorial dissertation on fish.
You're the one going very close to accusing the orginal poster trying to
run a scan when he is obviously not, perhaps an apology to the orginal
poster whould be in order from you.

> >before you jump in boots'n'all?.
> >
> Like I said before, the internet is the home of scams. I admit that
> sometimes my tone here is a little abrupt. But 'Good Life's original
> post had a fishy edge to it. In particular all the points 1-3, that I
> raised. I wanted to clear up the smell, by egging a comment from
> him. Unfortunately he chose not to answer the points, but thank you
> graeme for now (mostly) doing so. SNOOPY
Of course it's fishy, it's a bloody whitebait stand, whitebait do smell
fishy.
If I had the $ I would very seriously look at the deal, looks real good to
me.

Snoopy

Jul 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/23/00
On Sun, 23 Jul 2000 03:31:56 +1200, "graeme" <gbk...@xtra.co.nz>
wrote:

>You're the one going very close to accusing the orginal poster trying to
>run a scam when he is obviously not, perhaps an apology to the orginal

>poster whould be in order from you.

Graeme, it would seem that you have a fairly good grasp of the
whitebaiting rules as they apply to the Hokitika river mouth.
Have you considered that what may be 'obvious' to you may not be so
'obvious' to those that do not have this specialist knowledge? SNOOPY

graeme

Jul 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/24/00

> On Sun, 23 Jul 2000 03:31:56 +1200, "graeme" <gbk...@xtra.co.nz>
> wrote:
> >
> >You're the one going very close to accusing the orginal poster trying to
> >run a scam when he is obviously not, perhaps an apology to the orginal
> >poster whould be in order from you.
> >
> Graeme, it would seem that you have a fairly good grasp of the
> whitebaiting rules as they apply to the Hokitika river mouth.
> Have you considered that what may be 'obvious' to you may not be so
> 'obvious' to those that do not have this specialist knowledge? SNOOPY
"SPECIALIST KNOWLEDGE"??????????????
Anybody who knows what a whitebait stand would know enough about the topic
to see through any scam.
and if they don't know what a whitebait stand is, they would probably
wouldn't even consider the purchace .

Snoopy

Jul 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/24/00
On Mon, 24 Jul 2000 03:07:39 +1200, "graeme" <gbk...@xtra.co.nz>
wrote:

>"Snoopy" <tenn...@caverock.net.nz.N-OS-PAM> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 23 Jul 2000 03:31:56 +1200, "graeme" <gbk...@xtra.co.nz>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Graeme, it would seem that you have a fairly good grasp of the
>> whitebaiting rules as they apply to the Hokitika river mouth.
>> Have you considered that what may be 'obvious' to you may not be so
>> 'obvious' to those that do not have this specialist knowledge?
>
>"SPECIALIST KNOWLEDGE"??????????????
>Anybody who knows what a whitebait stand would know enough about the topic
>to see through any scam.
>and if they don't know what a whitebait stand is, they would probably
>wouldn't even consider the purchace .

Well it is obvious you have never been Whitebaiting on the West Coast
of the North Island then Graeme.

There the best 'Whitebait Stand' goes to whoever gets up earliest in
the morning. You cannot 'register' your position on the river with
anyone, and it is quite legal to place your net straight in front of
someone else. There is no 40m 'territory' as seems to apply on the
West Coast.

Perhaps if you had been brought up on this kind of whitebaiting, you
might see why the original post had a hint of scam about it, and
needed further clarification. SNOOPY

stier

Jul 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/24/00

> e. The volcano has brought forth its molten discharge
> of lava.
>
> HTH SNOOPY

Thank you, I'm always eager to learn more about English. Of course I know
that have to apologize because I didn't know all different ways to use the
apostrophe ;-)).
My main interest is to learn more about New Zealand because I intend to
visit New Zealand perhaps the next year in August. Therefore I'm looking
for information about your country. Perhaps you can help me with some
useful tips and hints.

--
Adolf Stier
Pädagogische Hochschule Weingarten