Greetings To The Rest Of The Waikato

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Dec 28, 2023, 9:10:28 PM12/28/23
If you are reading this ... thank you for bothering?!?

Kerr Avon

Dec 30, 2023, 6:10:46 PM12/30/23
On Fri, 29 Dec 2023 02:10:26 +0000, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> If you are reading this ... thank you for bothering?!?

Well I'm in Dunedin but did live in the Waikato, does that count? :)

Hopefully not too humid your way.

--
Agency News | news.bbs.nz

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Dec 31, 2023, 4:18:57 PM12/31/23
On Sun, 31 Dec 2023 12:10:44 +1300 (NZDT), Kerr Avon wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Dec 2023 02:10:26 +0000, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> If you are reading this ... thank you for bothering?!?
>
> Well I'm in Dunedin but did live in the Waikato, does that count? :)

Hey, a posting is a posting, I’m not going to be picky. ;)

> Hopefully not too humid your way.

Blooming humid the past few days. Seems a bit better this morning, though.

Oh, and happy new year!

Kerr Avon

Jan 4, 2024, 3:50:24 AMJan 4
On Sun, 31 Dec 2023 21:18:55 +0000, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Hey, a posting is a posting, I’m not going to be picky. ;)
>
>> Hopefully not too humid your way.
>
> Blooming humid the past few days. Seems a bit better this morning,
> though.
>
> Oh, and happy new year!

Thanks :)

Nice to be chatting in a local newsgroup again. There's an irony when
Google are canning the link to Usenet saying it's all dead and gone etc.
but I'm aware there are a goodly number of folks still active in Usenet.

Fair to say it's got it's problem with spammers etc. also ..and Google
Groups has been feeding a ton of spam into Usenet newsgroups lately.

It's not so humid down this end of the country but it's not been very
summery either :(

Happy New Year to you too... did they do fireworks in Hamilton this year?

--
Agency News | news.bbs.nz

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Jan 4, 2024, 2:23:20 PMJan 4
On Thu, 4 Jan 2024 21:50:22 +1300 (NZDT), Kerr Avon wrote:

> Nice to be chatting in a local newsgroup again. There's an irony when
> Google are canning the link to Usenet saying it's all dead and gone etc.
> but I'm aware there are a goodly number of folks still active in Usenet.
>
> Fair to say it's got it's problem with spammers etc. also ..and Google
> Groups has been feeding a ton of spam into Usenet newsgroups lately.

Which is why quite a few people are looking forward to their exit. Some
are suggesting it might even lead to a resurgence of USENET.

> Happy New Year to you too... did they do fireworks in Hamilton this
> year?

I don’t recall they’ve ever done “official” ones ... just people letting
off their own.

Kerr Avon

Jan 4, 2024, 11:02:43 PMJan 4
On Thu, 04 Jan 2024 19:23:18 +0000, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Jan 2024 21:50:22 +1300 (NZDT), Kerr Avon wrote:
>
>> Fair to say it's got it's problem with spammers etc. also ..and Google
>> Groups has been feeding a ton of spam into Usenet newsgroups lately.
>
> Which is why quite a few people are looking forward to their exit. Some
> are suggesting it might even lead to a resurgence of USENET.

Yep I don't think they will be missed that much, and yes, here's hoping
the spotlight of their departure shines some light on Usenet as a
previously unknown option available to some.

> I don’t recall they’ve ever done “official” ones just people letting
> off their own.

Down here it's been laser light shows etc. for the last couple of years I
think a number of locals are missing the fireworks :(

--
Agency News | news.bbs.nz

David Goodwin

Jan 5, 2024, 4:02:06 AMJan 5
In article <un70j6$3otot$1...@dont-email.me>, l...@nz.invalid says...

> On Thu, 4 Jan 2024 21:50:22 +1300 (NZDT), Kerr Avon wrote:
>
> > Nice to be chatting in a local newsgroup again. There's an irony when
> > Google are canning the link to Usenet saying it's all dead and gone etc.
> > but I'm aware there are a goodly number of folks still active in Usenet.
> >
> > Fair to say it's got it's problem with spammers etc. also ..and Google
> > Groups has been feeding a ton of spam into Usenet newsgroups lately.
>
> Which is why quite a few people are looking forward to their exit. Some
> are suggesting it might even lead to a resurgence of USENET.

It certainly got me to restore my old leafnode server from backups and
install a newsreader. Turns out nz.* is a whole lot easier to read when
you add Ras in all his permutations to the bozo bin!

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Jan 5, 2024, 5:02:26 PMJan 5
On Fri, 5 Jan 2024 22:00:58 +1300, David Goodwin wrote:

> It certainly got me to restore my old leafnode server from backups and
> install a newsreader.

Currently trying Pan, because I couldn’t quite figure out how to get slrn
to authenticate against eternal-september. But it is annoying me a bit
with its line-wrapping quirks. Might switch to something else at some
point.

Feel free to suggest other possibilities. If it’s in the standard Debian
repos, all the better. ;)

David Goodwin

Jan 6, 2024, 3:16:07 PMJan 6
In article <un9u9g$9uq6$4...@dont-email.me>, l...@nz.invalid says...

> On Fri, 5 Jan 2024 22:00:58 +1300, David Goodwin wrote:
>
> > It certainly got me to restore my old leafnode server from backups and
> > install a newsreader.
>
> Currently trying Pan, because I couldn?t quite figure out how to get slrn
> to authenticate against eternal-september. But it is annoying me a bit
> with its line-wrapping quirks. Might switch to something else at some
> point.
>
> Feel free to suggest other possibilities. If it?s in the standard Debian
> repos, all the better. ;)

My Workstation runs Windows so I'm using MicroPlanet Gravity at the
moment. I've used WinVN at times, and Forte FreeAgent on vintage
machines.

I wouldn't mind finding a nice newsreader for Linux though for when I'm
working from the office and want to read remotely on my lunch break.

Leafnode (in the debian repos) solves compatibility issues with old
newsreaders pretty well - its effectively a caching NNTP proxy server.
Leafnode handles talking to the upstream news server doing whatever
authentication is necessary, fetches articles for any subscribed groups
and stores them locally. Newsreaders can then either talk to leafnode
via NNTP or just access articles directly under /var/spool/news.

Some day I might do away with Leafnode and learn how to use INN and do
things properly. Seems its not quite as impossible as I'd previously
assumed to find people to peer with to run a real news server yourself.