Quite funny really

Unknown

Nov 25, 2021, 6:12:20 PM11/25/21
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/127106937/us-warship-arrives-in-wellington-harbour-to-conduct-exercises-with-defence-force
"Under New Zealand’s nuclear-free legislation, the prime minister has to sign
off on the entry of a foreign warship into New Zealand waters, satisfied the
ship “will not be carrying any nuclear explosive device upon their entry into
the internal waters of New Zealand”."
The USA will never declare whether a warship carries nuclear weapons or not.
She has no way of knowing.
However I am pleased it is here, we need to maintain our relationship with the
USA.

George Black

Nov 25, 2021, 9:18:15 PM11/25/21
A nuke could be off our coast and no-one would be any the wiser.
Or basking in the Sounds

Unknown

Nov 25, 2021, 10:07:00 PM11/25/21
Exactly. And Ardern certainly would not know.

Barb Knox

Nov 25, 2021, 10:58:05 PM11/25/21
On 26/11/21 12:12, Tony wrote:
> https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/127106937/us-warship-arrives-in-wellington-harbour-to-conduct-exercises-with-defence-force
> "Under New Zealand's nuclear-free legislation, the prime minister has to sign
> off on the entry of a foreign warship into New Zealand waters, satisfied the
> ship 'will not be carrying any nuclear explosive device upon their entry into
> the internal waters of New Zealand'."

> The USA will never declare whether a warship carries nuclear weapons or not.
> She has no way of knowing.

This was also an issue at the time the legislation was debated.

Regarding the US's longstanding Neither Confirm Nor Deny policy, there
are other means to be quite sure that a particular ship or plane in NZ
is not carrying nukes. For one, since the US is justifiably concerned
about nuke security there are strict regulations regarding (among other
things) the minimum number of outside perimeter guards on duty at all
times. So, no extra guards means no nukes, without anyone having to
deny anything.

And regarding the PM's required sign-off, it motivates the PM be very
sure indeed that the legislation is followed, rather than trying to
blame a violation on some faceless government department or anyone else.

> However I am pleased it is here, we need to maintain our relationship with the
> USA.

If they offer tours of the ship and you're in the neighbourhood then go
see it; you will be impressed. And BTW, part of nuke security is to
never invite randos to tour a nuke armed vessel.

Quite funny indeed.

--
---------------------------
| BBB b \ Barbara at LivingHistory stop co stop uk
| B B aa rrr b |
| BBB a a r bbb | Quidquid latine dictum sit,
| B B a a r b b | altum videtur.
| BBB aa a r bbb |

Mutlley

Nov 25, 2021, 11:08:21 PM11/25/21
I wonder if the anti US peaceniks will be there protesting it's visit.
They were very quite when other ships come here especially from
China.

George Black

Nov 26, 2021, 2:09:05 PM11/26/21
I remember an exercise off Auckland where an American sub returned to
Devonport while dived :)