Internet access in New Zealand FAQ

Simon Lyall

May 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/22/97

Archive-name: internet-access/new-zealand
Posting-Frequency: Monthly
Last-modified: May 22 1997
Version: 2.12

Internet Access in New Zealand FAQ
----------------------------------

Maintained by Simon Lyall <si...@darkmere.gen.nz)

Contents:

Section 0.1: Notes on this Edition.
Section 0.2: Changes since last Edition.

Section 1.0: Overview of this FAQ.
Section 1.1: Where can I get a copy of this FAQ?
Section 1.2: Other FAQs to do with Internet and New Zealand.

Section 2.0: Structure of the Internet in New Zealand.

Section 3.0: What public access sites are there in my area?
Section 3.1: National providers.
Section 3.2: Auckland Area.
Section 3.4: Waikato and Upper North Island.
Section 3.5: Central and Lower North Island.
Section 3.6: Wellington Area.
Section 3.7: The South Island.

Section 4.0: What sort of Internet access do other people have?
Section 4.1: What sort of access do University Students have?
Section 4.2: What sort of access do School Pupils have?
Section 4.3: Government on the Internet.
Section 4.4: Public Access Terminals and Cyber Cafe's.

Section 5.0: What's involved in actually getting on the Internet?
Section 6.0: What can I do once I'm on the Internet?
Section 7.0: How can I find out more about the Internet?
Section 8.0: Disclaimer and Credits.

----------------------------

Subject: Section 0.1: Notes on this Edition.

Just a note that this is the last edition of this FAQ that I will be
sending out. I have found another person who is will to keep things going
and hopefully things will work out for him and he'll have time to update
those bits I haven't. Anyway I would like to very much thank all the people
who have contributed to the FAQ in one way or another over the last 3
years, certainly you input has been great and hopefully the FAQ has been
useful for a few.

Simon Lyall
ex-maintainer.

PS: Im not sure when the next edition will be out, their are a few things
still to sort out in the transfer over.

----------------------------

Subject: Section 0.2: Changes since last Edition.

Section 3.2: Removed: i-max.co.nz
Section 3.2: Updated: win.co.nz
Section 3.2: Updated: netbyte.co.nz
Section 3.2: Updated: igrin.co.nz
Section 3.7: Updated: deepsouth.co.nz
Section 3.7: Updated: esi.co.nz
Section 3.5: Updated: reap.org.nz
Section 3.3: Updated: midland.co.nz
Section 3.3: Updated: wave.co.nz
Section 3.1: Updated: ihug.co.nz
Section 3.7: Updated: canterbury.ac.nz
Section 3.6: Updated: wn.planet.gen.nz
Section 3.1: Updated: PlaNet FreeNZ national entry.
Section 3.2: Updated: iprolink.co.nz
Section 3.2: Updated: nznet.gen.nz

----------------------------

Subject: Section 1.0: Overview of this FAQ.

This is a compilation of information about Internet access in New Zealand.
It contains an overview of the Internet in New Zealand, where to get more
information about the Internet and a list of organisations offering Internet
access to the public.

This FAQ will be reposted monthly, changes will be marked in "Section 0.2".
If you have information on sites not listed here or any corrections or
constructive comments to make, please mail me. I am very happy to accept
pieces from other people to go into this FAQ and I will endeavour to
include and answer any actual FAQ's that come to my attention.

This FAQ is Copyright Simon Lyall 1994 - 1997.

This FAQ may be reproduced and distributed electronically or in hardcopy as
long as this is done for free and it is kept intact. Please contact me if you
wish to distribute this FAQ in any other manner.

----------------------------

Subject: Section 1.1: Where can I get a copy of this FAQ?

This FAQ is updated and published each month at around the middle of the
month, however each edition may take a while to get to some places. As a rule
the best place to check is Usenet or rtfm.mit.edu. The FAQ can be obtained
via the following methods. Please Email me if there are any errors.

Usenet
======

I post the FAQ to the following groups at around the middle of each month,
all other places obtain their copy from this post.

nz.net.announce, nz.net.admin
nz.general, soc.culture.new-zealand,
alt.internet.access.wanted, alt.answers,
soc.answers, news.answers.

The FAQ is posted under the subject "Internet access in New Zealand FAQ"

FTP
===

The FAQ may be obtained from rtfm and it's mirrors in several places (one
for every newsgroup plus a couple of others), here is one of the easiest
to find:

ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/nz.general/Internet_access_in_New_Zealand_FAQ

The following sites also mirror rtfm, in most cases this FAQ will be under
it's archive name of "internet-access/new-zealand".

ftp://ftp.uu.net:/usenet
ftp://ftp.funet.fi:/pub/doc/rtfm
ftp://ftp.univ-lyon1.fr:/pub/faq-by-newsgroup
ftp://ftp.Germany.EU.net:/pub/newsarchive/news.answers
ftp://ftp.sunet.se:/pub/usenet
ftp://ftp.switch.ch:/info_service/usenet/periodic-postings

The following New Zealand site also carries the FAQ, please only use
this site if you are within New Zealand.

ftp://ftp.dosli.govt.nz/pub/lists/

FSP
===

src.doc.ic.ac.uk port 21
ftp.Germany.EU.net, port 2001

E-MAIL
======

Please don't ask me to send you a copy of this FAQ, I pay for email and I
have a policy of not sending the FAQ to *anyone* (including people who
archive it). If you wish to obtain a copy via email you can send mail
to rtfm's email server as follows.

To: mail-...@rtfm.mit.edu
Leave Subject blank, and enter only this line in the body of the note:
send usenet/news.answers/internet-access/new-zealand

GOPHER
======

cc1.kuleuven.ac.be port 70
jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca port 70
gopher.insa-lyon.fr, port 70
gopher.Germany.EU.net, port 70.

World Wide Web
==============

Here are a couple of URLs for the FAQ on the Web, The Ohio State one is
especially interesting since the FAQ is HTMLized and split into parts
with indexing etc. Please don't use the Actrix one unless you are within
New Zealand, it costs them money to send it to you, so if you require the
whole FAQ in one piece please use one of the URLs given in the FTP section
above instead.

http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/internet-access/new-zealand/faq.html
http://actrix.gen.nz/general/internet.faq ( Updated by hand )

FREQ
====

In order to make to FAQ more accessible to people who are not already on
the Internet I am attempting to make it available to people on FidoNet and
other similar networks. Currently it is available for FREQ access at the
following BBS, however I am keen to have other BBSs around New Zealand
also make this available. Please note that these two methods of distrbution
are in their early stages so site information may be incomplete or have errors
and it may also take some time for each site to get each edition of the FAQ.

Christchurch: 3:770/220@Fidonet with the magic name NZINTFAQ
Tokoroa: 3:774/950@Fidonet with the magic name NZINTFAQ

BBS
===

The file can also be down-loaded from the following places.

* (04) 475 9172, The Laundry, Wellington. ( Not sure on file name, sorry)
* (+647) 886 0910, Hill Billys BBS IFNA 3:774/950, Internet Q&A area.
* Arrow BBS, IFNA 3:772/185, Auckland.

The FAQ is sometimes also forwarded to the fidonet echo NZ_INTERNET.

Thank-you to all the people who are making copies of this FAQ available in
various places, If you are aware of any others or wish to do so
yourself then please contact me.

----------------------------

Subject: Section 1.2: Other FAQs to do with Internet and New Zealand.

Several other people post FAQs relating to New Zealand and the Internet.
The following is a list of those I am aware of, if anyone else has
any others they wish to add then could they please contact me.

Several off these FAQs are available from:

http://www.dosli.govt.nz/lists

The soc.culture.new-zealand FAQ
===============================

Phil Stuart-Jones <ph...@hyphen.equinox.gen.nz> maintains this FAQ
which is basicly about everything and anything to do with New Zealand
and it's people/culture. Phil's FAQ is available via ftp from
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers/new-zealand-faq as well as a
couple of other places.

Read the Usenet newsgroup soc.culture.new-zealand to find out other places
where to get it and to find general discussion about New Zealand (watch out
for the "soc.culture.new-zealand FAQ reminder" post by Phil which gives more
info about his FAQ). Please do not Email Phil asking for a copy or for
information about New Zealand as he pays for his Email and does not have the
time nor money to answer requests.

FAQ: The nz.* Usenet Hierarchy.
===============================

Simon Lyall <si...@darkmere.gen.nz> posts this guide to the nz or New
Zealand newsgroups every month. It contains a list of current nz.* groups
as well as directions on how to create new groups and access the groups
from outside New Zealand.

Network Connected Organisations in New Zealand

At the start of each month Mark Davies <ma...@comp.vuw.ac.nz> posts a
automaticly generated list of all organisations who are registered in the
DNS as having a *.nz name. Only the top level domain for each organisation
is listed so some smaller sites (usually BBS's) that do not have full
names registered may not be listed.

The list is posted to nz.general and nz.net.announce along with a diff from
the previous month and is available at:

http://www.comp.vuw.ac.nz/~mark/netsites.html

Christchurch ISP lists
======================

http://www.ccc.govt.nz/Library/Internet_ChCh.html
http://www.mac.co.nz/remote.dir/connect.htm

----------------------------

Subject: Section 2.0: Structure of the Internet in New Zealand

Reviewing this section I have found that everything in it was pretty much
out of date. I would welcome any contribution to this section.

Someone sent me some information but I appear to have lost this, could you
please contact me again.

----------------------------

Subject: Section 3.0: What public access sites are there in my area?

This section lists public access sites. It is organized by regions:

Section 3.1: National providers.
Section 3.2: Auckland Area.
Section 3.4: Waikato and Upper North Island.
Section 3.5: Central and Lower North Island.
Section 3.6: Wellington Area.
Section 3.7: The South Island.

I may re-arrange these regions as needed.

If your site is not listed or you know of other sites (especially those
offering full ip access or outside the main cities) not mentioned then
please get the manager(s) to contact me about being included.

Please Note: In order to prevent this FAQ from becoming too long and
unwieldy, I have decided that in regions where there are many sites offering
a range of Internet access I will only list those sites that offer full
Internet connections or are otherwise special.

----------------------------

Subject: Section 3.1: National providers.

This part is intended for organisations that provide Internet access in
more than one region. This can be by various means including pacnet, 0800 and
0900 numbers or co-ordination of a number of regional sites. If access is
through a series of local sites you should also see the entry for the site
in your region.

Could any National provider please contact me about getting an entry in
this area.

CLEAR NET
=========

Organisation --> CLEAR Net
Site name -----> www.clear.net.nz
Location ------> Nationwide - local access (15 points of presence), 0800 access
Dialins -------> 33K6 V.34+ digital modems
System --------> Fault tolerant Sun Sparc servers
Link ----------> Fault tolerant redundant links direct to USA
Services ------> Domain registration, Mail-hosting
Usenet --------> Full feed
Charges -------> Pricing information at
Charges -------> http://www.clear.net.nz/common/services/pricing.html
Features ------> Connection pack for Win3.1, Win95 and Macintosh
Features ------> Local Calling access from 15 cities and towns around NZ.
Features ------> Nationwide access through 0800 number
Features ------> Have as many User IDs for your family, or company, as you like.
Features ------> Your access is charged to you CLEAR account.
Features ------> 7 day 24 hour helpdesk service.
Comments ------> Look at our homepage at http://www.clear.net.nz/
Contact Email -> Sales: acc...@clear.net.nz
Contact Email -> Support: he...@clear.net.nz
Contact Voice -> 0800 888 800 residential, 0800 555 500 business
Contact Fax ---> 0800 777 432
Contact Postal-> CLEAR Commmunications
Contact Postal-> Private Bag 92143
Contact Postal-> Auckland
Last Update ---> 20 Feb 1997

COMPUSERVE PACIFIC
==================

Columbus, Ohio based CompuServe is the world's leading commercial online
Information service, including Databases, Email, File Transfer, Special
Interest Groups on every subject with Commercial worldwide support for
leading computer applications. In addition, CompuServe has several
hundred servers on Internet to allow an easy "on ramp". CompuServe's CIM
front end software provides point and click Internet Email, Newsgroups, FTP.
WWW access is via CompuServe with no Slip/PPP account needed, using
Microsoft Explorer or Netscape (or any browser of choice). CompuServe
allows "global roaming" with local POP's in 500 cities over 170 countries

Home Page Wizard software to build and publish your own Web Page to 5 MB
in size free of charge.

CompuServe won both the TUANZ and PC World Awards for NZ's "Best online
Service Provider" in 1995. The main reason for this appears to be that
the combination of orderliness of an online service mixed with easy
Internet access makes it an easier adventure for people new to "online".

Access in New Zealand through Pacific area Licencees, Fujitsu:

Access is now 33.6 in all Sites

Network is COMPUSERVE. Script is the standard default in CIM s/w.

9.6/14.4/28.8/33.6 bps
AUCKLAND 09 357 6642
WELLINGTON 04 473 7949
CHRISTCHURCH 03 338 9387
HAMILTON 07 838 9966
DUNEDIN 03 477 8839

PACNET: 1745 all sites

PACNET REVERSE CHARGE NOW AVAILABLE..ring or email for Script to go
into CompuServe's CIM s/w. Extra cost 16c/min over CompuServe rates

TELNET: to compuserve.com

Login as "CIS" and "HELP"

COSTS: NEW PRICING FROM APRIL 1ST

Super Value Plan:

$39.50 per month for 10 hours (ie. $3.95/hr equiv.) Extra hours $3.95

Standard Pricing Plan:

$17.00 per month for 2 hours (ie $8.50/hr equiv ) Extra hours $5.50

Education Pricing Plan ( open to registered and chartered educational
institutions ) :

$25.00 per month for 20 hours (ie. $1.25/hr equiv) Extra hours $5.50

New Members get their first 5 hours online FREE (except Premium Services)
NO JOINING OR REGISTRATION FEE

Please note, there is no longer any distinction CompuServe and Internet
or "Time of Day" pricing.

No megabyte download charge...so for the sake of comparison, solid downloading
at 28.8 can bring around 9 meg, a mix of browsing and download about 6 meg

CONTACT INFOMATION.

Sales:0800 442 374. Service Helpdesk: 0800 446 113 (answered in Sydney)
9am to 9pm weekdays: (best times 9 to
11am, also 7 to 9pm)
And Saturdays 10am to 2pm

Also call them for latest information on access speeds and locations.

New Zealand Marketing Manager
Colin Wallis
voice: 04 495 0769
Email: coli...@cis.compuserve.com

WWW Address: http://www.compuserve.com (but please note pricing and
other details are shown as per USA and may differ in NZ)
Also, http://www.compuserve.com.au

IBM Global Network
==================

IBM New Zealand Ltd offers the IBM Global Network solution for Internet
Access. Facilities include World Wide Web, Gopher, NewsReader for 22,750
Usenet Newsgroups, Email, FTP, Telnet etc via SLIP access. Access
software is included for WARP and Warp Connect in the free Bonus Pack,
or Windows free for download from http://www.ibm.net. We provide scripts
for other platforms. (Call 0800-801-809 for details). Billing is simple
via credit card, and registration is child's play. Credit card details
are transmitted over IBM's secure network.

IBM provides local dial access from 840+ points of presence on the IBM
Global Network in 46 countries - soon to include China and India. Each
account can have up to 5 additional userids for no extra charge. You can
also have an e-mail alias up to 32 characters long. You can make all
these changes yourself, online, via the User Services area at
www.ibm.net.

You register via a toll free call. Subsequent access is via local
phone calls in Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch. You need no script,
as the connection uses intelligent handshaking for both registration and
subsequent calls with the IBM Dialer. Phone numbers are already imbedded
in the WARP and Internet Connection for Windows software, but are
included here for your information:

Registration only 0800 105-765 Speed

Auckland 09 356-3984 14,400 bps + compression
09 359-8488 33,600 bps + compression

Wellington 04 576-5998 14,400 bps + compression
04 576-8324 33,600 bps + compression

Christchurch 03 372-8954 28,800 bps + compression
TBA 33,600 bps + compression

COSTS (All prices INCLUDE GST)

First 3 hours free

Registration (valid world-wide) Free (Until Jan '97)
Option 1: 5 hour commitment per month $12 per month
Excess rate after commitment period $2.50 per hour

Option 2: 20 hour commitment per month $45 per month
Excess rate after commitment period $2.25 per hour

Option 3: 50 hour commitment per month $90 per month
Excess rate after commitment period $1.50 per hour

Data transfer rates no volume charges

We now have business Internet pricing, allowing companies/businesses
to have *any* number of user-ids - invoiced locally monthly.

Business rates available on request. Contact Steve Withers
swit...@vnet.ibm.com or (04) 576-5818 for more info.

ACCESS FACILITIES

IBM has a pool of 106 modems available to callers to Auckland, Wellington
and Christchurch access numbers. Two physically separate frame relay
links connect the customers on a 512Kb link from Auckland and 512Kb from
Wellington via Sydney, directly to US-based servers over IBM's ATM
network. Statistics show that the IBM Global Network rarely experiences
a situation where all lines in the pool are busy. Users transfer data
typically at 6 - 8 MB per hour, with maximum 8 MB per hour for compressed
data.

The IBM Global Network also maintains multiple ATM backbone paths from
Sydney to USA and Asia/Pacific countries to ensure high reliability
and availability for its access offerings. All backbone operations are
duplexed by design to avoid having any single point of failure.

IBM New Zealand also offers Internet Leased line services as well as
industrial strength content hosting. We will also soon be offering
our Net.Commerce Internet business platform - with the SET (Secure
Electronic Transactions) functions up and running early in 1997.

For more info, contact:

Steve Withers (04) 576-5818
Nick Romaniuk (09) 358-8880

Network Contact Email bow...@vnet.ibm.com (Terry Bowden)
Marketing Contact Email swit...@vnet.ibm.com (Steve Withers)

Contact Email--> ji...@vnet.ibm.com (James Kyd - Internet/IGN Product
Manager)
Contact WWW ---> http://www.ibm.co.nz/newzeal.html
Contact Voice -> 0800-801-809 (Direct Response Marketing)
0800-733-222 (Technical Support)

Free technical support can also be obtained online
via http://www.ibm.net/helpdesk.html

You should get a response via e-mail or phone within
24 hours.

THE INTERNET GROUP
==================

Organisation --> The Internet Group
Site name -----> ihug.co.nz & es.co.nz
Location ------> North Island: 108 Newton Rd, Auckland
Location ------> South Island: 50 Filleul St, Dunedin; 160 Manchester St, Chch.
Area Serviced -> Whangarei, Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, Christchurch,
Area Serviced -> Dunedin, Invercargill, Queenstown, Balclutha, Oamaru,
Area Serviced -> Timaru, Alexandra, Sydney
Dialins -------> 1000's of lines served by Ascend 4400's and 28.8 Kbps modems
System --------> SPARC 420 Quad CPU SMP server's, Silicon Graphics
System --------> Challenge + Indy's
Link ----------> 8 Mb International multigateway.
Services ------> slip, ppp, limited shell for Web pages.
Usenet --------> Full feed, access to 30,000 News Groups
Charges -------> See price list at http://www.ihug.co.nz/ Flat fee available.
Features ------> Banner power with over 17,000 hits per day.
Features ------> Each ad recieves 5,000+ visuals per week!!!
Other Services-> Free 6 day help service
Other Services-> KALI & Quake Servers
Comments ------> SECURE WEB SERVER only $499.00 per annum
Comments ------> ISDN made easy
Contact Email -> North Island: tim...@ihug.co.nz; South Island: sa...@es.co.nz
Contact Voice -> North Island: 09-3585067 or 0800-22 22 25;
Contact Voice -> South Island: 03-4777474 or 0800-66 66 68
Contact Fax ---> North Island: 09-3584112; South Island: 03-4777030
Contact Modem -> 09-3581332
Contact Postal-> P.O.Box 7281 Wellesly St, Auckland; P.O.Box 5677 Dunedin
Last Update ---> 19 May 1997

PlaNet (New Zealand)
====================

The PlaNet (NZ) Trust can provide Internet connectivity to about 90% of New
Zealand without toll or Pacnet charges. There are PlaNet operations in:

PLACE CONTACT PERSON PHONE E-MAIL
Wellington Peter Hall-Jones 04-4997250 pe...@wgtn.planet.co.nz
Christchurch Robert Hunt 03-3485822 rob...@chch.planet.org.nz
Dunedin Brett/Adam Shand 03-4790303 bre...@otago.planet.org.nz
Palm North Alan Brown 025-480204 al...@manawatu.planet.org.nz
Wanganui Dave and Sarah 06-3453092 dave...@wanganui.planet.org.nz
Taupo Gregg Sheehan 06-3786223 gr...@reap.org.nz
Rotorua Tim Morgan 07-3489042 t...@rotorua.planet.co.nz
Nelson Chris O'Donoghue 03-5267805 ch...@nelson.planet.org.nz
Auckland 025-428153 pe...@planet.apc.org

* If you are interested in setting up a PlaNet (NZ) operation in your
area, contact nati...@wgtn.planet.co.nz.

We offer PPP, Slip, BBS and UUCP access (with some regional exceptions).
We are also the NZ member network for the Association of Progressive
Communications, an international federation of networks with a list of
conferences which rivals Usenet (and is almost totally flame free!).

NOTE: The PlaNet (NZ) Trust shares a Charter with the PlaNet FREENZ network,
but otherwise we are completely separate entities.

What is the APC??
=================

The Association for Progressive Communications is an international
federation of with more than 40 partner networks. PlaNet (NZ) is
the New Zealand member. Collectively the APC provides the world's major
alternative to Usenet conferences. For a list of conferences contact
ch...@wgtn.planet.co.nz.

What else does PlaNet offer?
(for public or private use)
* Public Terminals!
* Software installation, configuration and user support
* Internet tuition services
* World Wide Web home page creation
* Comprehensive desktop publishing services
* Discount rates on modems, hardware and disks

For more information contact your closest local operator or
sup...@wgtn.planet.co.nz

PlaNet FreeNZ
==============

Independent Internet Cooperative supplying local-call access
(Whangarei, Keri Keri, Dargaville, Kaikohe, Auckland(3), Warkworth,
Hamilton(2), Tauranga, Gisborne, Hawkes Bay, Kapiti Coast,
Masterton, Wellington, Blenheim, Christchurch) to all internet
services, including Usenet, web page hosting, DDS and ISDN.
We can also help you set up as an Internet provider in your area and
connect into our low-cost national and international network
capacity. Infopack and sub form available on request from..

Email: sup...@pl.net
FreePhone: 0800-TO-SURF (0800-867-873)
Fax: (09) 818-3141
Tel: (09) 813-0088
Guest Dial-up BBS: (09) 818-9978
Post: PO Box 6594, Auckland 1.
WWW: http://pl.net
FTP: ftp://ftp.ak.planet.gen.nz/pub

<<<< DirectEX (Directory Express) <<<<
Searchable, classified, free (to use and be part of) online
business directory. Email your free text listing today to
list...@directex.co.nz Include Name of Business; Description
of Products and Services; Contact Details (postal, tel, fax,
email, url).
URL = http://pl.net/directex
..or go to the above URL and fill out the online entry
form

----------------------------

Subject: Section 3.2: Auckland.

Organisation --> CyberNet Ltd.
Site name -----> cybernet.co.nz
Location ------> Auckland, New Zealand.
Dialins -------> V.34 + 33k6bps lines + ISDN
System --------> SPARC, NT Servers, Cisco Access Servers
Link ----------> 256kbps Frame Relay Clear.
Services ------> WWW Storage, Email, PPP, ISDN, Leased Lines.
Usenet --------> 5GB Pentium News Server - 7000+ Newsgroups.
Charges -------> From $19.95 per month incl first 7 Hours Free.
Other Services-> World Wide Web Virtual Hosting - No Hit charges.
Other Services-> Auckland CBD - 128kbps Links from $499 per month
Comments ------> Reliable System with 99.9% Uptime. Try out CyberNet at
Comments ------> the Livewire or the Auckland Public Library.
Contact Email -> in...@cybernet.co.nz
Contact WWW ---> http://www.cybernet.co.nz/
Contact Voice -> 09-912-7500
Contact Fax ---> 09-912-7501
Contact Modem -> For customers only.
Contact Postal-> Cybernet Ltd, PO Box 90-690,
Contact Postal-> Auckland Mail Centre, Auckland.
Last Update ---> 9 Dec 1996

Organisation --> Internet Company of New Zealand (ICONZ).
Site name -----> iconz.co.nz
Location ------> Auckland, New Zealand
Dialins -------> 500 lines.
System --------> Sun including SPARCstations II,20 and NT Server
Link ----------> 768K to Waikato.
Services ------> Unix Shell, PPP, UUCP,ISDN, Leased lines.
Services ------> Microwave.
Usenet --------> Waikato NZ News Feed and full MCI feed.
Charges -------> Contact sa...@iconz.co.nz or
Charges -------> see http://www.iconz.co.nz/products/prices.html
Features ------> File areas, Own national backbone, 0800 Help support
Features ------> National service
Other Services-> Hardware/software sales, Internet Connectivity consultation,
Other Services-> Unix consulting, full commercial web service http design,
Other Services-> WWW page hosting, training, modem sales.
Comments ------> Part of the Iconz group, National Internet Provider,
Comments ------> Local dialups nationwide - Auck, Rotorua, Palmerston North,
Comments ------> Tauranga, Wellington, Nelson, Christchurch, Napier, Dunedin
Contact Email -> Operations Manager : Lynn Harden <ly...@iconz.co.nz>,
Contact Email -> General Manager : Hugh McKellar <hu...@iconz.co.nz>
Contact Email -> Misc: <he...@iconz.co.nz>
Contact Voice -> 0800 THE NET (0800 843 638) or Help Desk (09) 358-3051
Contact Fax ---> (09) 300-3122
Contact WWW ---> http://iconz.co.nz/
Contact Modem -> (09) 303 2900 Akl (04) 473 6633 Budget/Cruiser accounts
Contact Modem -> (09) 366 7799 Akl (04) 473 6888 Smart Net/Enterprise accts
Contact Modem -> (07) 574 8610 Tga, (06)835 9031 Nap, (06) 356 1439 PNorth
Contact Modem -> (03) 548 8292 Nels,(07) 349 2122 Rot,(03) 338 3008 Chch
Contact Modem -> Dunedin (03) 474 0698 and Hamilton to be advised shortly.
Contact Postal-> Internet Company of New Zealand, PO Box 6721, Auckland.
Last Update ---> 18 Apr 1997

Organisation --> Internet Group Northland
Site name -----> igrin.co.nz
Location ------> 25 Manse St, Whangarei, NZ
Area Serviced -> Whangarei / Kerikeri / Dargaville / Kaitaia free calling areas
Dialins -------> 80
System --------> Axil 85Mhz R4000 based Sun clone, SunOS
Link ----------> 256K with data compression to Planet Auckland
Services ------> PPP, uucp (mail only) , 24 hr leased / dedicated lines &
Services ------> radio links
Usenet --------> Own server - newsource.igrin.co.nz
Charges -------> Flat rate $38 + gst/mth OR OR $20.00 + gst/mth for 20hrs/mth
Contact Email -> fr...@igrin.co.nz
Contact Voice -> 09-430-3540
Contact Fax ---> 09-430-3775
WWW page ------> http://www.igrin.co.nz/
Contact Modem -> 09-430-3120 (Whangarei) , 09-407-6450 (Kerikeri)
Contact Modem -> 09-439-3018 (Dargaville) , 09-407-6450 (Kaitaia)
Contact Postal-> PO Box 5002 Regent, Whangarei
Last Update ---> 18 May 97

Organisation --> InterNet Connectivity Associates Ltd
Site name -----> inca.co.nz
Location ------> Auckland
Area Serviced -> Auckland Region
Dialins -------> 14 28.8k lines , Leased Line Access
System --------> Axil 235
Link ----------> Leased Line to Crown Research Institute
Services ------> Terminal Emulation, SLIP, PPP, E-Mail
Usenet --------> Full
Charges -------> Contact ad...@inca.co.nz
Features ------> Selection of Shareware software available on host.
Other Services-> Pre-configured installation diskettes. WWW page storage and
Other Services-> consultancy. Training & Installation. After hours Support
Other Services-> line.
Contact Email -> ad...@inca.co.nz
Contact Voice -> (09) 358 1757
Contact Fax ---> (09) 846 7320
Contact Modem -> (09) 358 3536
Contact Postal-> InterNet Connectivity Associates Ltd,
Contact Postal-> PO Box 56515, Dominion Road, Auckland.
Last Update ---> 11 Oct 1995

Organisation --> Internet ProLink NZ Limited
Site name -----> iprolink.co.nz
Location ------> Downtown Auckland, Wellington, and Christchurch
Dialins -------> 100+ lines, 56k modems available
System --------> Fault tolerant IBM Risc System/6000 workstations
Link ----------> ProNet nation-wide, high-performance, secure backbone.
Services ------> World-Wide Web interface to all services, easy setup
Usenet --------> Full feed
Charges -------> Email in...@iprolink.co.nz for current prices.
Features ------> Plug and play installation, ISDN access at no additional
Features ------> charge.
Other Services-> ISDN and leased circuits, firewall and network security,
Other Services-> WWW publishing (automated US mirroring), commerce servers.
Other Services-> Secure networks for intranets.
Comments ------> Nationwide access.
Comments ------> See our Web page at http://www.iprolink.co.nz/
Contact Email -> Sales: sa...@iprolink.co.nz
Contact Email -> Support: sup...@iprolink.co.nz
Contact Voice -> 0800 IPROLINK (0800 477-654)
Contact Fax ---> (09) 302-3332
Contact Modem -> 302-2507 (Auckland online registration)
Contact Modem -> 801-6662 (Wellington online registration)
Contact Modem -> 377-7608 (Christchurch online registration)
Contact Postal-> Internet ProLink NZ Ltd
Contact Postal-> PO Box 91235,
Contact Postal-> Auckland
Last Update ---> 20 May 97

Organisation --> Netbyte Internet Ltd
Site name -----> netbyte.co.nz
Location ------> Level 2, 62 Queen St, Auckland
Area Serviced -> Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch for Corporate
Area Serviced -> Customers.
Dialins -------> 33.6k modems, ISDN and Leased circuit options
System --------> Sun Server/Solaris 2.5, Linux, Windows NT
System --------> Netscape Enterprise Server, Sybase SQL Server, RealAudio
System --------> Server, Borderware Firewall Server
Link ----------> Big.
Services ------> email, smtp and uucp integration, ppp only, training,
Services ------> consulting
Usenet --------> Full Usenet Feed
Charges -------> email enqu...@netbyte.co.nz
Features ------> Licensed Netscape Vendor, Web site
Other Services-> Web Site design and build, Web hosting and server Management,
Other Services-> Web Server statistics analyis and reporting, Web Server -
Other Services-> Database Integration, Security and Commerce products.
Comments ------> Network Connectivity
Contact Email -> enqu...@netbyte.co.nz
Contact Voice -> 64-9-309-4638
Contact Fax ---> 64-9-309-4631
WWW page ------> http://www.netbyte.co.nz
Contact Postal-> P.O. Box 1268 Shortland Street Auckland
Last Update ---> 18 May 1997

Organisation --> NetGate Communications Ltd
Site name -----> netgate.co.nz
Location ------> Auckland
Area Serviced -> Auckland
Dialins -------> All V.34 (28k8) 5:1 user:modem ratio
System --------> Linux & Mac servers (FirstClass)
Link ----------> 128k ISDN to Victoria Link via Ak Uni.
Services ------> PPP, Pop mail, Webserver, FirstClass BBS.
Usenet --------> Full (provided via Victoria Link Auckland news server).
Charges -------> $20/month or $40/month plus data beyond free allocation.
Charges -------> $20 setup fees, no time charges.
Features ------> GUI BBS interface for Mac & Win3.x & Win95 users.
Features ------> Special forums for medical practitioners.
Features ------> Special area where users can create their own public forums.
Other Services-> Onsite setup/training in Internet connection/use.
Comments ------> FirstClass network connection to NZ sites and overseas.
Contact Email -> in...@netgate.co.nz
Contact Voice -> 09 302 3001 - info via automated attendant.
Contact Fax ---> 09 309 7455
WWW page ------> www.netgate.co.nz
Contact Modem -> 09 443 7636 or 302 1180 (BBS direct line - FC or vt100/ansi)
Contact Postal-> PO Box 56-454, Dominion Road, AUCKLAND 1030
Last Update ---> 2 Apr 97

Organisation --> NZNET Internet Services Ltd
Site name -----> nznet.gen.nz.
Location ------> 11A Piermark Drive, North Harbour Industrial Estate,
Location ------> Auckland, New Zealand - Also Wellington & Hamilton.
Dialins -------> Lines in Auckland, Wellington, Hamilton.
System --------> Ascend Max 4000 with ISDN and Analog phone lines.
System --------> Cisco 4000 router, Term Servers, News Servers,
System --------> Kali Server, Quake Server.
Link ----------> WDDS cct capable of 2MB, 120 ISDN channels available
Services ------> Dial up PPP accounts for WWW, FTP, Mail, News, IRC.
Services ------> Internet Connectivity - Leased Line, ISDN, Microwave.
Services ------> Domain Registration, Virtual Webs, IT Consultancy.
Usenet --------> Full News Feed
Charges -------> Personal Flatrate Account $29 per month (30 hours free access)
Charges -------> Highuser Flatrate Account $49 per month (80 hours free access)
Charges -------> Visit our web pages for full pricing schedules. Prices ex GST.
Features ------> Friendly staff - **NO BUSY SIGNALS** - Good Transfer Rates.
Features ------> Local phone lines in Auckland, Wellington, Hamilton.
Features ------> Multi-player game servers - Kali & Quake.
Contact Email -> in...@nznet.gen.nz
Contact WWW ---> http://www.nznet.gen.nz
Contact Voice -> (09) 415-0058 Auckland, 0800-481-155 Wellington & Hamilton
Contact Fax ---> (09) 415-0040 Auckland, 0800-481-122 Wellington & Hamilton
Contact Modem -> (09) 414-0300 (upto 33.6Kbps Analog & 64K ISDN)
Contact Postal-> NZNET Internet Services Ltd, P.O. Box 101-069,
Contact Postal-> North Shore Mail Centre, Auckland.
Last Update ---> 21 May 97

Organisation --> PlaNet FREENZ North Shore
Site name -----> ns.planet.gen.nz
Location ------> Devonport
Area Serviced -> Auckland free dialing area/ North Shore
Dialins -------> Line Ratio of 10:1
System --------> SUN SPARC's 10, 1+ and Linux servers
Link ----------> 64k speed line to KCCS
Services ------> Web Hosting, Secure Server, Front Page extensions, Dial
Services ------> up PPP.
Usenet --------> Half feed
Charges -------> Dial in accounts from $.85c per hour incl some data.
Charges -------> Web Sites from $20 a month.
Features ------>
Other Services->
Comments ------> Part of the National PlaNet FreeNZ network.
Contact Email -> fio...@ns.planet.gen.nz
Contact Voice -> Ph (09) 4458-474
Contact Fax ---> Ph (09) 4460-927
WWW page ------> http://ns.planet.gen.nz
Contact Modem -> (09) 445-8751
Contact Postal-> 9 Hastings Pde, Devonport, Auckland
Last Update ---> 15 Mar 97

Organisation --> SineSurf Ltd
Site name -----> sinesurf.co.nz
Location ------> Auckland, New Zealand.
Dialins -------> V.34 28,800bps all lines + ISDN
Dialins -------> Line Ratio never to exceed 10:1
System --------> Linux Servers and Cisco Routers
Link ----------> 176kbps MDDS to Waikato
Services ------> WWW Storage, Email, PPP, ISDN, Leased Lines.
Usenet --------> Full Feed, 7000+ Newsgroups.
Charges -------> One Single Account - $35.00 Inc GST
Charges -------> *No* Additional Charges
Other Services-> World Wide Web Virtual Hosting and Design.
Comments ------> SineSurf is an Internet Access Provider NOT a Service Provider
Comments ------> Our policy is simple, No Newbies, No Help Desk, Flat Rate
Comments ------> with No Additional Data or Time Charges. Nothing but Net.
Contact Email -> rt...@sinesurft.co.nz
Contact WWW ---> http://www.sinesurf.co.nz/
Contact Voice -> +64-9-376-4461
Contact Fax ---> +64-9-376-1464
Contact Postal-> Use the Web Site Silly - That's why it's there !
Last Update ---> 24 Oct 1996

Organisation --> Web World Ltd (since 1994)
Site Name -----> ww.co.nz (202.27.202.0)
Location ------> Auckland, New Zealand
Dialins -------> 8 customer per line ratio, 28.8k + 33.6k
System --------> Pentium-based Unix/NT network & CISCO routers
Link ----------> 128k compresssed DDS to KCCS, plus 64k on-demand ISDN
Services ------> Full Internet access, all services, no restrictions
Services ------> Ask for our "Full Service Home Installs"
Services ------> PROFESSIONAL SERVICE WITH A PERSONAL TOUCH
Usenet --------> Feed from MCI through KCCS Cooperative
Charges -------> Data charged accounts: rental from $8.89 per month
Charges -------> Data charged: from NZ $0.42/MB, Int'l from $0.80/MB -or-
Charges -------> A range of time charged accounts $1.29 per hour or LESS
Features ------> Our Loyalty Rebate Scheme earns you free Internet access
Features ------> Free web pages with each retail account.
Features ------> Windows 95 customers our speciality.
Other Services-> Experts in Web site design, programming and hosting.
Other Services-> Check out our sister co: http://www.marketing.co.nz/
Other Services-> We have been involved with the 'net since 1989!
Comments ------> We are primarily Internet Business specialists
Comments ------> $25 Web Sites, Cheap Domain Name registrations
Comments ------> Soon: "Life-time" e-mail addresses.
Contact Email -> ser...@ww.co.nz (Heather Campbell)
Contact WWW ---> http://www.ww.co.nz and http://www.marketing.co.nz
Contact Voice -> 09-278-2966
Contact Fax ---> 09-278-5699
Contact Modem -> 09-634-1040 (28.8) 09-634-5964 (33.6)
Contact Postal-> PO Box 62 528, Central Park, Auckland
Last Update ---> 16 Mar 97

Organisation --> Web InterNet
Site name -----> win.co.nz
Location ------> Auckland, New Zealand
Area Serviced -> Auckland Toll Free Area
Dialins -------> 33K6
System --------> Unix Based
Link ----------> 64k with 128k bursts.
Services ------> Dial Up, Web Design
Usenet --------> Full
Charges -------> $ 30 for 25 hours, $ 1.30 / hour or $55 flat rate.
Features ------> Excellent Connect Rate, fast speeds
Other Services-> E-Mail to fax gateway, consultancy.
Comments ------> For Small Companies and individuals who want SERVICE.
Contact Email -> dav...@win.co.nz
Contact Voice -> 09-418-2667
Contact Fax ---> 09-419-1689
WWW page ------> www.win.co.nz
Contact Modem -> 09-360-8526
Contact Postal-> 42 Barlow Place, Birkenhead, Auckland
Last Update ---> 17 May 1997

----------------------------

Subject: Section 3.4: Waikato and Upper North Island.

Organisation --> Midland Internet Limited.
Site name -----> midland.co.nz.
Location ------> Hamilton/Auckland.
Area Serviced -> Hamilton, & Auckland.
Dialins -------> 50 lines all V.34 28k8 bps.
System --------> Axil 220, 4 x Cisco 2511 16port TermServ
System---------> 7 NT 4.0 servers, 3 Linux Servers
Link ----------> 2 MegaBit Radio to Waikato University.
Link ----------> 256 K link to Auckland.
Services ------> PPP/SLIP, Leased circuits, ISDN ,2 Mb Radio Network (Hamilton)
Usenet --------> 10000+ News groups
Charges -------> Standard Rate $ 45.00 inc GST, All you can Eat!
Charges -------> Silver - Time based @ $ 2.40 inc GST per Hour (No Rental)
Charges -------> Gold - Volume based @ $ 0.95 inc GST per Mb (No Rental)
Features ------> Totally NT based ISP, lots of features with all accounts
Features ------> Have new accounts connected within 3hours!
Other Services-> Network installation, NT and Novell
Other Services-> Unix consulting.WWW Development, Site Security Auditing
Comments ------> Experience with Novell/NT <-> Internet integration.
Comments ------> ISDN, Firewall integration.
Contact Email -> help...@midland.co.nz
Contact WWW ---> http://www.midland.co.nz/
Contact Voice -> 0800 ON-LINE (66-5463)
Contact Modem -> 07 839-6993 (40 lines stepping)
Contact Modem -> 09 366 6808 (10 lines stepping, more adding)
Contact Postal-> Midland Internet Limited, PO Box 19255, Hamilton.
Last Update ---> 19 May 97

Organisation --> Wave Internet Services, a division of CSE (NZ) Ltd.
Site name -----> wave.co.nz
Location ------> Hamilton
Area Serviced -> Hamilton,Waikato,Tauranga,Thames,Coromandel,
Area Serviced -> Whakatane,Auckland,Rotorua
Dialins -------> 250 x 28.8VFc/V.34
System --------> Sun Clone(s) running as an application server
Link ----------> 2Mb/s link to Waikato Uni.
Services ------> EMail, Slip, PPP, FTP, Leased/Permanent connections.
Usenet --------> Most groups except alt.binaries. Others can be requested.
Charges -------> Economy $25 setup, $5/hour
Charges -------> Standard (6pm-8am) $50 setup, $30/Mth Max of 30 hours/mth
Charges -------> Premium $100 setup,$60/Mth, Free Virtual Hosted Web, FTP
Features ------> See Other Services
Other Services-> Specialists in Automation/Process control, esp. MMI,
Other Services-> Informix, and Allen Bradley PLC/Automation
Comments ------> Time restrictions on Standard account applies from Mon-Fri.
Comments ------> Up to the minute traffic usage available! NO DATA CHARGES.
Contact Email -> in...@wave.co.nz
Contact Voice -> +64-7-839-1291 or 0800-80-9283
Contact Fax ---> +64-7-838-0977
Contact Postal-> P.O. Box 935, Waikato Mail Centre
Last Update ---> 15 Jan 1997

----------------------------

Subject: Section 3.5: Central and Lower North Island.

Organisation --> Manawatu Internet Services Ltd. / PlaNet (NZ) Manawatu
Site name -----> manawatu.gen.nz, manawatu.planet.org.nz
Location ------> Palmerston North
Area Serviced -> Manawatu, Rangitikei, Horowhenua, Sth Hawkes Bay, Tararua
Dialins -------> 30 28k8 lines. (PN)
Dialins -------> 30 28k8 lines. (PN group 2)
Dialins -------> 10 28k8 lines. (Levin)
Dialins -------> 5 28k8 lines. (Levin Group 2)
System --------> Sun SLC, Various Unix PCs
Link ----------> 128k leased line to Massey Uni.
Link ----------> 128k to Waikato Uni via Pronet
Link ----------> 128k from Waikato Uni to USA
Services ------> PPP, SLIP, leased lines, 2 BBS packages, UUCP
Usenet --------> Full + APC, PlaNet.
Charges -------> from $11.25/month PPP, $5.63 uucp. $6.67/month bbs
Charges -------> limited free access news/mail access via BBS systems
Charges -------> Contact office for full details.
Features ------> IRC and text-based WWW browser for paid bbs users.
Features ------> multiuser online chat (local) for all bbs users.
Other Services-> Modem + book sales, Consulting, Training (any ISP)
Comments ------> Onsite configuration for Mac, Win3, Win95, OS/2, Amiga
Comments ------> Software available (unsupported) for DOS, Acorn, Unix
Contact Email -> in...@manawatu.gen.nz
Contact WWW ---> http://www.manawatu.gen.nz
Contact Voice -> 06 356 1590 (9am-5pm), after hours support available.
Contact Fax ---> 06 356 1425
Contact Modem -> 06 357 9245 (Palm Nth, 31 lines)
Contact Modem -> 06 367 9944 (Levin, 10 lines)
Contact Postal-> P.O.Box 678, Palmerston North
Last Update ---> 10 Sept 1996

Organisation --> Taranaki NetSource
Site name -----> netsource.co.nz
Location ------> New Plymouth
Area Serviced -> New Plymouth, Hawera
Dialins -------> Less than 10 users per modem.
Link ----------> Frame relay circuits between NP, Hawera, NZIX & Pronet
Services ------> Dialup PPP, UUCP, ISDN, Leased lines, Virtual WEB Servers
Usenet --------> As per Actrix (feed from Actrix)
Charges -------> From $0.60/hr and $0.63/Mb, full details see WWW page
Other Services-> Training, consulting, on-site installation
Comments ------> Only ISP providing local dialin to Hawera area
Contact Email -> in...@netsource.co.nz
Contact WWW --> http://www.netsource.co.nz
Contact Voice -> 06 759 4638, 021 687 687
Contact Fax ---> 06 759 4329
Contact Postal-> PO Box 205, New Plymouth
Last Update ---> 6 Jan 1997

Organisation --> Ram Management Limited
Site Name -----> ramhb.co.nz
Location ------> Hawkes Bay - Napier
Area Serviced -> Hawkes Bay
Dialins -------> 16 Lines (UCD) all with Ellcon v34 28.8k
System --------> Cisco 2511, 486-66DX 4.8 Gig HD, 32 Meg Ram, Linux
Link ----------> 128k Synchronous Link to Waikato
Services ------> Shell, PPP Access, Email, UUCP, WWW
Usenet --------> All feeds from Waikato (except a.s.* & a.b.p.e*)
Charges -------> $20.00/Month Shell+PPP Access int $2.50/$1.00
Charges -------> Nat $1.80/$0.75 Peak/Off Peak
Charges -------> All Prices EXCLUDE GST. - Contact us for full list.
Features ------> Home Pages, WWW Publishing
Other Services > Supply Software, Modems and consultancy for setting up.
Comments ------> Providing Independent Internet Access for Hawkes Bay Area.
Comments ------> Encouraging local Institutions, Businesses and other service
Comments ------> providors to connect to our feed and run their own domains.
Contact Email -> ros...@ramhb.co.nz
Contact WWW ---> http://www.ramhb.co.nz
Contact Voice -> 06 8433 212 - Ross Allan
Contact Fax ---> 06 8434 873
Contact Modem -> 06 8430 430 (16 Lines UCD) v34 28.8k.
Contact Postal-> Ram Management Limited, 7 Menin Road, Onekawa, Napier
Last Update ---> 11 Sept 1996

Organisation --> Central Plateau REAP Inc
Organisation --> (Rural Education Activities Programme)
Site Name -----> reap.org.nz
Location ------> Taupo
Area Serviced -> Central Plateau (Taupo, Turangi, Rangitaiki)
Dialins -------> 16 Lines 28k8
System --------> Cisco 2511, Silicon Graphics Indy, 1Gig HD, 64MB RAM
Link ----------> 64k Synchronous Link to Waikato
Services ------> PPP, Email, WWW
Usenet --------> Available
Charges -------> $2.50/hour flat rate
Charges -------> Free initial setup if needed. Prices include GST
Features ------> Home Pages (URL to http://www.reap.org.nz/)
Other Services > Supply Software, and consultancy for setting up.
Comments ------> REAP is an incorporated society providing complementary
Comments ------> and supplementary education opportunities for the
Comments ------> Central Plateau
Contact EMail -> gr...@reap.org.nz
Contact Voice -> 07 378 6223 Gregg Sheehan
Contact Fax ---> 07 378 0569
Contact Modem -> 07 377 6258 (16 Lines)
Contact Postal-> Central Plateau REAP, PO Box 1000, TAUPO
Last Update ---> 19 May 97

Organisation --> Taranaki Internet Providers
Site name -----> taranaki.ac.nz
Location ------> New Plymouth
Area Serviced -> Taranaki
Dialins -------> 9 x 28.8, 17 x 33.6
System --------> Sun Sparcstation with 5.5G, Pentium 100, Pentium 133
Link ----------> 256K leased line to Waikato
Services ------> ppp, uucp, leased line, shell accounts (email and news).
Usenet --------> Full, sex groups censored
Charges -------> 6 different charging schemes, ranging from a time based
Charges -------> scheme ($3.50 / hour) to a Volume and time based scheme at
Charges -------> $0.60c / hour + $0.65 / Mb, details on application.
Other Services-> Permanent connections
Contact Email -> tip...@taranaki.ac.nz
Contact WWW --> http://tipnet.taranaki.ac.nz
Contact Voice -> 06-7576653
Contact Fax ---> 06-7576699
Contact Modem -> 06-7598220
Contact Postal-> Computer Services Manager,
Contact Postal-> Private Bag 2030, New Plymouth
Last Update ---> 11 Nov 1996

----------------------------

Subject: Section 3.6: Wellington Area.

Organisation --> Actrix Networks Limited
Site name -----> atlantis.actrix.gen.nz
Location ------> Wellington
Dialins -------> 133 Dialup lines modems lines, 60 ISDN channels
System --------> Several Sun systems and PC Servers
Link ----------> Pronet.
Services ------> Dialup PPP/SLIP, UUCP, ISDN, Leased lines, WEB Server
Usenet --------> UseNet (no alt.binaries and sex groups), Clarinet
Charges -------> $1.45 to $2.50 per Mbyte depending on type of Account.
Features ------> $60 pa for E-mail only account, Extensive other Services
Features ------> FTP, Gopher, WWW, E-mail, Telnet
Features ------> Shareware File Library.
Other Services-> Training and consulting. Leased Lines. E-mail
Other Services-> WEB development, hosting, management and marketing.
Comments ------> New Zealand's first commercial Service.
Comments ------> discuss your internet requirements.
Contact Email -> in...@actrix.gen.nz
Contavt WWW ---> http://www.actrix.gen.nz
Contact Voice -> Business (04) 801-5225
Contact Fax ---> (04) 801-5335
Contact Modem -> (04) 801-6622
Contact Postal-> P.O. Box 11-410, Wellington
Last Update ---> 9 Jan 1996.

Organisation --> Internet Company of NZ
Site name -----> central.co.nz
Location ------> Wellington
Area Serviced -> Wgtn, Napier, PNth, Nelson, Christchurch, Dunedin
Dialins -------> Wellington - 64 lines @ V34
Dialins -------> Napier - 12 lines @ V34
Dialins -------> Palmerston North - 12 lines @ V34
Dialins -------> Nelson - 12 lines @ V34
System --------> Sun Sparcstations running SunOS
Link ----------> 512K to ICONZ in Auckland.
Services ------> UUCP, Shell, PPP, leased line Internet access
Usenet --------> Full feed
Charges -------> Contact us to discuss options, starting from $10 per month
Features ------> Reciprocal arrangements for logging in to your
Features ------> account from remote sites, eg Auckland, Christchurch
Other Services-> Training, support, boxed solutions for your
Other Services-> commercial Internet requirements.
Other Services-> Training, support, WWW Pages, ftp archives etc...
Comments ------> Part of ICONZ, NZ's largest Internet Access Provider.
Contact Email -> he...@iconz.co.nz
Contact Voice -> 495-2960 or 0800-843-638 (The Net)
Contact Fax ---> 04-499-9573
Contact Modem -> 04-473-6633 (private)
Contact Modem -> 04-473-6888 (commercial)
Contact Modem -> 03-548-8292 (Nelson)
Contact Modem -> 06-835-9031 (Napier)
Contact Modem -> 06-356-1439 (Palmerston North)
Contact Modem -> 03-338-3008 (Christchurch)
Contact Modem -> 03-474-0698 (Dunedin)
Contact Postal-> PO Box 1309, Wellington
Last Update ---> 23 Oct 1996

Organisation --> PlaNet FreeNZ (Wn), Wellington InterNet Services.
Site name -----> wn.planet.gen.nz
Location ------> Wellington
Area Serviced -> Wellington
Dialins -------> 16 Lines Stepping, 28.8K V34/VFC 33.6K USR X2
System --------> Sun SPARC station SLC 2GB, IBM 486 4GB (Linux)
Link ----------> 64K DDS to to KC Computer Services
Services ------> email, Shell, uucp feeds, slip, PPP, IRC
Services ------> MDDS & DDS links. Virtual Web Sites.
Usenet --------> Full Feed
Charges -------> $70 to 382pa (GST Inc) Time and Data FreeZones Apply
Features ------> Guest Login for New Users
Other Services-> Software & Documentation Support
Other Services-> 7 day help line
Comments ------>
Contact Email -> in...@wn.planet.gen.nz
Contact WWW ---> http://www.wn.planet.gen.nz
Contact Voice -> 04 479 1542
Contact Fax ---> 04 479 6542
Contact Modem -> 04 479 4242
Contact Postal-> P O Box 11113, Manners Street, Wellington.
Last Update ---> 20 May 97

Organisation --> NetLink
Site name -----> netlink.co.nz
Location ------> Wellington
Area Serviced -> Nationwide
Dialins -------> Nodes in Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin
System --------> Unix
Link ----------> 2 Mbps Frame Relay
Services ------> Leased line connections 28.8kbps to 2 Mbps.
Services ------> Corporate dialin at 28.8kbps. Web page hosting and design.
Usenet --------> Handled by NewZnet Support Group
Charges -------> http://www.netlink.co.nz/prices/
Features ------> High bandwidth, helpdesk, web and ftp space with
Features ------> dialup accounts.
Other Services-> Consulting on WWW, IP security, e-mail.
Comments ------> Wholesaler of Internet services to business
Contact Email -> in...@netlink.co.nz
Contact Voice -> (04) 495-5021, 0800 655 465
Contact Fax ---> (04) 495-5197
Contact Postal-> PO Box 1762, Wellington
Last Update ---> 25 Oct 1996

----------------------------

Subject: Section 3.7: The South Island.

Organisation --> The Black Albatross (University of Otago Computer Science
Organisation --> Applied Research Centre)
Site name -----> albatross.co.nz
Location ------> Dunedin
Area Serviced -> Dunedin
Dialins -------> 5 lines all 33,600 bps
Dialins -------> Guaranteed user to modem ratio of 5:1 or better
System --------> Linux. OPENSTEP, HP/UX, NT, Cisco routers.
Link ----------> 256 kbps to the NZIX via Clear Communications
Services ------> PPP, permanent leased connections
Usenet --------> Over 4000 groups from the University of Otago
Charges -------> $400 inc GST per year, all you can eat
Charges -------> Special prices for non-profit organisations - POA
Features ------> One Personal WWW page free to clients
Other Services-> Design development and hosting of commercial WWW sites
Other Services-> Database backending of web sites
Contact Email -> alba...@csarc.otago.ac.nz
Contact Voice -> (3) 479 8347
Contact Mobile-> 0-21 353-994
Contact Fax ---> (3) 479 8529
Contact WWW ---> http://www.csarc.otago.ac.nz:800/
Contact Postal-> P.O. Box 56, Dunedin
Last Update ---> 16 Apr 1997

Organisation --> University of Canterbury
Site name -----> canterbury.ac.nz
Location ------> Christchurch
Area Serviced -> Christchurch - Staff, students, and alumni members.
Dialins -------> 48 28k8 modems.
Link ----------> 704kbs link to NZIX
Services ------> Email, shell (VMS), SLIP and PPP access to WWW, FTP and
Services ------> Telnet
Usenet --------> Full feed except for binaries and alt.sex groups
Charges -------> $2/MB international peak, plus 2cents/min connect time.
Charges -------> Discount for staff and students.
Charges -------> Other charges and discounts apply - please ask.
Contact Email -> Help...@csc.canterbury.ac.nz
Contact Voice -> 03 364 2060
Contact Fax ---> 03 364 2332
WWW page ------> http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/
Contact Postal-> Computer Services Centre,
Contact Postal-> University of Canterbury,
Contact Postal-> Private Bag 4800, Christchurch
Last Update ---> 19 May 97

Organisation --> Cave Rock Internet
Site name -----> caverock.co.nz
Location ------> Christchurch
Area Serviced -> Canterbury
Dialins -------> 13 x 28k8; 1 x 14k4
System --------> Linux (Intel)
Link ----------> 128k to Netlink/Victoria
Services ------> email,shell,uucp,slip,ppp
Usenet --------> full
Charges -------> ranging from $10/mnth to $25/mnth + corporate acct
Features ------> Quake server
Other Services-> modem sales, web design & consultancy
Comments ------> our aim is to provide good friendly service
Contact Email -> acco...@caverock.co.nz
Contact Voice -> (03) 366 4242
Contact Fax ---> (03) 366 5478
WWW page ------> http://www.caverock.co.nz/
Contact Modem -> (03) 366 3208
Contact Postal-> PO Box 22488, High St, Chch 8001
Last Update ---> 15 Mar 97

Organisation --> Deep South Networks Ltd
Site name -----> deepsouth.co.nz
Location ------> Dunedin
Area Serviced -> Otago and Southland
Dialins -------> 20+ lines all 33,600 bps
System --------> Linux and Windows NT. Cisco routers.
Link ----------> 128 kbps to the NZIX plus 128 kbps redundant to the Clear IX.
Services ------> SLIP, PPP, UUCP and permanent leased connections
Usenet --------> 15,000+ groups from NewZnet and Clear.
Charges -------> $39.95 to join, which includes customised software.
Charges -------> $2.98 per hour; no minimums.
Features ------> Personal WWW pages free to clients
Other Services-> Complete internetworking consultancy services in-house
Other Services-> Design, development and virtual hosting of WWW sites
Contact Email -> ad...@deepsouth.co.nz
Contact Voice -> (3) 479 2078
Contact Mobile-> 0-25 323 675 (24 hours)
Contact Fax ---> (3) 477 0928
Contact WWW ---> http://www.deepsouth.co.nz/
Contact Postal-> P.O. Box 5358, Dunedin
Last Update ---> 18 May 97

Organisation --> EARTHLIGHT COMMUNICATIONS LIMITED
Site Name -----> earthlight.co.nz
Location ------> Dunedin, New Zealand
Area Serviced -> Otago and Central Otago
Dialins -------> 22 * 33,600
System --------> Sun SPARC and several Linux boxes
Link ----------> 128k frame relay to NZIX via CLEAR
Services ------> Dial-up: PPP, UUCP, Email Only and UNIX menu.
Services ------> Virtual Hosting for web and email (use your own domain name).
Usenet --------> 10,000+ News Groups
Charges -------> Personal Accounts (PPP): $120/year or $35/quarter
Charges -------> plus $3/hour. There is a $40 setup fee.
Charges -------> For commercial and special accounts please inquire for details.
Features ------> Full Internet access for any computer.
Features ------> Flat rate email only accounts (Windows or Mac only).
Features ------> Never get busy signals and always get fast downloads.
Other Services-> Server installation for leased line or dial-on-demand links,
Other Services-> so you can provide email and net access for your entire LAN.
Other Services-> Net terminals for public use (Windows and Mac).
Comments ------> We think the Internet is for everybody. We love to teach
Comments ------> and particularly those who are scared of computers and
Comments ------> computing! 5 Public terminals. Internet lessons.
Contact Email -> sup...@earthlight.co.nz
Contact WWW ---> http://www.earthlight.co.nz/
Contact Voice -> (03) 479 0303, 0800 CONNECT (Otago)
Contact Fax ---> (03) 477 5463
Contact Modem -> (03) 479 0352
Contact Postal-> PO Box 5301 Dunedin New Zealand
Last Update ---> 15 Apr 1997

Organisation --> Eastern Southland Internet
Site name -----> esi.co.nz
Location ------> Gore
Area Serviced -> Gore free calling area
Dialins -------> 8 lines, 28,800 bps and 33,600 bps
System --------> Linux; Cisco routers.
Link ----------> 64 kbps to the NZIX
Services ------> SLIP, PPP, UUCP and permanent leased connections
Usenet --------> 15,000+ groups from NewZnet and Clear.
Charges -------> Please contact us for connection pricing
Charges -------> $2.98 per hour; no minimums.
Charges -------> Prices for other services upon application
Features ------> Personal and business WWW hosting
Other Services-> Situated at Clive Wilson Computers (Gore) Ltd. Sales,
Other Services-> service and installation of all PC hardware and software.
Contact Email -> ad...@esi.co.nz
Contact WWW ---> http://www.esi.co.nz/
Contact Voice -> (3) 208 1988
Contact Mobile-> 0-25 322 124 (24 hours)
Contact Fax ---> (3) 208 1989
Contact Postal-> P.O. Box 143, Gore
Last Update ---> 18 May 97

Organisation --> NetAccess
Site name -----> netaccess.co.nz
Location ------> Christchurch.
Area Serviced -> South Island
Dialins -------> 70 33.6kbs V.everything
System --------> Linux, NT , Mac OS
Link ----------> 128k DDS to Telstra, 48k MDDS to University of Canterbury
Services ------> PPP, SLIP, UUCP, Web pages.
Services ------> Leased Line and ISDN options
Usenet --------> Full feed from University.
Charges -------> From $10per month
Charges -------> Contact in...@netaccess.co.nz for more details
Features ------> Associated Web Consultancy business.
Comments ------> We supply all required software for all platforms
Contact Email -> in...@netaccess.co.nz
Contact Voice -> 03-348-8747
Contact Fax ---> 03-343-2895
Contact Postal-> P.O. Box 6232, Christchurch
Last Update ---> 16 Apr 1997

Organisation --> South Net Ltd
Site name -----> southnet.co.nz
Location ------> Invercargill
Area Serviced -> Southland
Dialins -------> 25 modems, 28.8 and 33.6 k
System --------> Pentiums and WWW Virtuals domain servers
Link ----------> 128K Framerelay to NZIX
Services ------> Full Internet access using SLIP and PPP.
Usenet --------> Over 3500 groups from the University of Otago.
Charges -------> $2.25 GST Inc. Per Hour 24-hours. (50% off between
Charges -------> midnight and 8am, 7 days)
Features ------> WWW local information server.
Features ------> Add *your* home page to the Web!
Other Services-> WWW advertising for businesses.
Other Services-> Sales of modems and other hardware by prior arrangement.
Comments ------> Believed to be the world's southernmost Internet provider!
Contact Email -> ma...@southnet.co.nz
Contact Voice -> 03-215-6163(day)
Contact Voice -> 025-345-222
Contact Fax ---> (3) 236-0909 fax
Contact Modem -> Available to registered users only.
Contact Postal-> PO Box 504, Invercargill
Last Update ---> 11 Feb 97

Organisation --> Wizkid Internet Limited
Site name -----> wizkid.co.nz
Location ------> Christchurch
Area Serviced -> Christchurch and Greater Christchurch area (ie. Rangiora)
Dialins -------> 8:1 or less modem:users ratio All modems at 33.6Kb/s.
System --------> Windows NT and Unix Network
Link ----------> Leased line to Waikato University, Satellite Dish
Link ----------> installed for high speed access to US provider.
Services ------> PPP, email, web, PC, mac and unix dialin
Usenet --------> full (including binaries and sex) available with ID
Charges -------> $15 per month plus competitive data charges
Charges -------> call for details Chch (03) 3373808
Charges -------> or email IN...@WIZKID.CO.NZ
Features ------> Business Pages, satellite dish access
Other Services-> Hardware/software sales, consulting
Comments ------> Member of NZ MX5 club and chch web page
Contact Email -> in...@wizkid.co.nz
Contact Voice -> (03) 3373808
Contact Fax ---> (03) 3373808
WWW page ------> www.wizkid.co.nz
Contact Postal-> 71B Kidson Terrace, Christchurch
Last Update ---> 1 Nov 1996

----------------------------

Subject: Section 4.0: What sort of Internet access do other people have?

This section covers access to the Internet by people other than those
getting on via commercial providers.

Section 4.1: What sort of access do University Students have?
Section 4.2: What sort of access do School Pupils have?
Section 4.3: Central Government on the Internet.
Section 4.4: Public Access Terminals.

----------------------------

Subject: Section 4.1: What sort of access do University Students have?

This is an rough guide to what sort of access is given to students at the
various universities, For exact information you should contact the postmaster
at the University.

I would very much appreciate any updates/corrections to this Information.

Auckland University (auckland.ac.nz)
====================================

* General.

User pays (everthing except Usenet) through prepaid accounts.
[ I am not sure how this effects the various depts below ]

* Faculty of Commerce.
Usenet news for all students plus email to local sites.

* Arts Faculty
Full Email and other services to graduates.
Other students Usenet and ability to communicate other campus machines only.
Charges picked up by the department.

* Computer Science Department
The Computer Science department provides unrestricted access to Usenet
& Email to all students (graduate and undergraduate). WWW and ftp are
restricted to NZ sites only. Students contribute a one-off fee of $5 per
paper.

* Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering

Undergrads -

Can read and post news (though most of them don't know it)
No external email access except for Year 4 students.

Postgrads -

Full access (email, ftp, www all sites, shell accounts on main unix
machine)

Traffic charges (billed to the department by the computer centre) are
deducted from each students "Network Credits" account
which covers both IP charges and laser printing. We get around
(depends on whether you are ME or PhD student) $5 credited
each month. In theory $1.50 of this was for IP charges but its up to
the individual how much goes on printing and how much on traffic.

There is no official provision for personally paying for more credits.

* School of Architecture, Property, Planning
All students get FULL internet access at cost. That is, a personal email
address, access to NEWS, WWW, FTP. No distinction is made between NZ or
international, graduates or undergraduates. Access is through UNIX shell,
Eudora, NetScape.

The University of Waikato (waikato.ac.nz)

* General.
In 1995 all students will have access to Email and Usenet News on a
user-pays basis, other access is dependant on the student's department.

Massey University (massey.ac.nz)
================================

* Internal Students

Massey University has e-mail available to it internal students on a
user pays basis. Any internal student can register for e-mail access
with Massey University's Computing Services department. Some departments
automatically provide their post graduate students with e-mail addresses
and access to other network services on the campus network.

For more information, internal students should contact reception at
Computing Services.

* Extramural Students

Massey University has a large extramural programme with over 19,000
students. Massey's Centre for University Exramural Studies (CUES) in
conjunction with Computing Services is operating a dial-up service for
extramural students. Registration with the service costs $50 (a one-off
charge) which buys students a user pack - which includes software for mail
and library access, userguides, an e-mail address on Massey's system, 0800
telephone support support, and a $25 usage credit (to cover Pacnet call
access). This software is available in Windows, MS-DOS and Macintosh
versions.

The software is preconfigured to call in via Pacnet. Once the initial
usage credit runs out, students can simply purchase additional credits.
The service is available to them for as long as they want it (even if they
are no longer a student).

There are currently several hundred Massey extramural students online,
including those linking from other Internet sites. E-mail is being used
increasing as a means to provide support to extramural students. A large
number of mailing lists are operated to facilitate class discussions and
online study groups - this allows any extramural student on the Internet to
chat with other classmates via e-mail (particularly handy for remote or
overseas-based students). Students can use e-mail to communicate with many
course staff, and we are currently running a small experiment using e-mail
for sending in assignments. Course advice and a slowly increasing number
of other services are also currently available through e-mail.

Library catalogue access is now available, and can be used for ordering
library books. The current dial-up is limited to simple e-mail, and we do
not have SLIP/PPP access generally available. However, extramural students
are encouraged to get online through whichever means they prefer.
Information and advice is made available about getting connected through
other service providers and gaining access to other Internet facilities
(such as FTP, Gopher, WWW etc).

For more information, extramural students should contact Andrew Chambers,
the Computer Mediated Communications Consultant at CUES:

Phone: 06 350 5379
Fax: 06 350 5625
E-mail: mass...@massey.ac.nz

Victoria University of Wellington (vuw.ac.nz)

* General
User-pays access provided to students by Student Access Network
Systems (SANS), Graduate students may have access paid for by their dept.

The University of Canterbury (canterbury.ac.nz)

* General
Dial Up Access available to all students, as is SLIP.
Telnet, ftp and WWW are all available via proxy gateways.
Off peak traffic (after 8pm) is charged at 80% off.

* Senior Undergraduates
Some departments (notably Science and Engineering departments and
Economics) give their students accounts on the main university servers and
departmental computers in their fourth year or even earlier, when they need
computational facilities to complete research projects. Whether the
accounts carry full Internet access seems to depend at least in part on
the academics responsible for the relevant courses.

* Graduate Students
Graduate students in some departments are given accounts with full
Internet access to enable them to use telnet and email and ftp. Ftp is
no longer directly available to many users because of accounting
considerations but they can use the lynx WWW browser instead.

Lincoln University. (lincoln.ac.nz)
===================================

* General

ALL undergraduates at Lincoln have access to e-mail and the Internet.
They have full e-mail rights - on campus, and off campus both
nationally and internationally. They also have access to a large
number of newsgroups, not all however as some are restricted by the
admin for various reasons. They do NOT have off campus telnet and
ftp rights. WWW will be up and running soon for undergrads but they
will only have access to NZ sites.

ALL these facilites are provided free to ALL students at the present
time. All undergraduates have access to public labs, accessible 24
hours, where all workstations should allow them to access these
facilities. The official policy currently held by the University is
that the ratio of workstations to students should be 1:13 which is
high by NZ standards, especially since this is for ALL students not
just certain faculties. So there are plenty of machines to be found.

Postgrads have full e-mail, no restrictions on newsgroups, ftp and
telnet off campus, and will have access to WWW (whether or not this
will be just NZ I'm not sure).

The University of Otago. (otago.ac.nz)
======================================

Up until recently free access was available to most facilities for most
students. However due to the cost and overloading that resulted a newer
policy is in the process of being set up. [ Note: 'I' in this piece is the
person who sent in the material not the FAQ maintainer]

* General

Email access is available to all students for a small fee (~$5). I
believe that some 4000 students (and maybe staff?) have accounts through
this particular system and it is starting to get overstretched.

FTP access is available through Netscape browsers to NZ only sites. No 'put'
facility exists for these users.

As yet I am uncertain whether access to UseNet will be provided. It is not
available through the web browser. UseNet groups are censored (.sex
groups mainly). Some leakage of postings seems to occur but it is hard to
tell at what level.

WWW is available for NZ only sites. Some undergraduate students may be
able to get international access for specific courses. I suspect that
registration will be 'buyable' to aquire offshore access in the near future.

Telnet does not appear to be available off-campus.

* Departmental

Various departments will have the ability to register their machines to
allow offshore/offcampus access. This will primarily effect www and telnet
access. The departmental charging scheme will be released in the near
future at which point decisions as to charging students will be possible.

* Graduate Students:

Graduate Students in some departments are given UNIX accounts with full
Internet access. Some departments issue accounts to graduate students as a
matter of course, others are more restrictive. One can assume that
graduates will have more ready access to registered machines (and thus the
www) than undergraduates. With the return of departmental Network charging
the wide-spread access of graduates to the Internet is likely to be
restricted, or at the very least curtailed.

In many instances, restraint is now being called for.

----------------------------

Subject: Section 4.2: What sort of access do School Pupils have?

An increasing number of Schools are getting on the Internet in various
ways. Please contact me if you would like some information about you
schools's activities listed here.

The following URL's may also be helpful:

http://www2.waikato.ac.nz/education/WeNET/sch/home.html
http://www.actrix.gen.nz/biz/cwa/nzed.html

Diocesan School for Girls, Auckland.
====================================

We have a 28.8k leased-line connection to the internet which we use
to provide Email, News, and WWW access for staff across our Novell
network. We are currently investigating how best to provide access
for students.

Pasadena Intermediate School, Auckland.
=======================================

First State Primary to have a Web site accessable 24hrs day. Link via
an isdn connection and ACE Router. All pupils have Access to E-Mail
and Approved WWW Sites at any time during the School day. Staff have
Unlimited and Unrestricted Access as required. Internet Access from
any Computer anywhere in the School. (Inc All Classrooms, Library,
Comp Suite, Office.)

Soon to Start ftp Access for Pupils/Staff to access School Directories
from home, and Staff Internet Access from Home via the Schools
connection.

Riccarton High School. Christchurch, NZ

Any student at Riccarton High can gain access to e-mail and news by
filling out a form and getting their parents to sign it. We have a
28.8k leased line to the University of Canterbury, connecting via an
ACE Router to our NetWare file server, winston.riccarton.school.nz.
Students with e-mail access have their own unique addresses, and
mail is delivered via a Mercury mail server to their NetWare
addresses.

Due to difficulties in charging, most students currently do not have
full access to the Internet, although some class teachers grant
access to their students to use the world wide web for educational
use. Soon some new software will be installed that allows charging
based on IP packets, and then access will probably be open to
anyone.

For more information, mail Phillip Pearson on ph...@farpoint.gen.nz
or Steve Fergusson on s...@riccarton.school.nz.

Shirley Boys High School. Christchurch, NZ

All students at Shirley CAN have access to e-mail, with their own
personal address. Not all have taken up the offer as we insist they do
a training course before we allow them access.

A large percentage of Staff also have e-mail addresses and are
regular users.

Newsgroups, a limited selection, are soon to be available for both
staff and students and we are working on having a WWW server
available. Access to these services will be limited due to
suitability of material and cost.

Staff and Students can currently make use of other Internet Services,
Telnet, FTP, WWW, Newsgroups etc. through our Learning Resource
Centre.

Enquiries should be directed to deav...@shirley.school.nz

----------------------------

Subject: Section 4.3: Central Government on the Internet.

Currently there is very little government presence on the Internet in
New Zealand, however a Homepage on the World Wide Web is being run by
Victoria University for the government and several departments have some
access. The New Zealand Government Homepage is at:

http://www.govt.nz

The online `Blue Pages' which give WWW addresses of over 30 Govt
departments and email address of even more are available at:

http://www.gwr.govt.nz

I would very much appreciate anymore information on the government's
presence that people might have.

----------------------------

Subject: Section 4.4: Public Access Terminals and Cyber Cafe's.

The following places provide terminals for the general public to access
the Internet. In most areas they are provided by the PlaNet organisation
and you should contact root at the PlaNet representive in the area.

Auckland
========

Auckland Central Library
Cyberculture, Karangahape Rd, Auckland 1.
Mangere Bridge Library
Mangere Central Library
Mangere East Library
Highland Park Library Pakuranga
Dargaville Public Library

Hamilton
========

The Hamilton Public library provide 2 full access terminals. Cost is $6
for first 1/2 hour and $4 for each subsequent half hour. You can print
material or save it to a library purchased disk. Assistance is offered
by Reference staff. We also offer free access to newsgroups (read &
post). We have one terminal dedicated to free newsgroup access.
We provide as full a feed as we can (less the alt.sex *.erotica etc) - around
4,700 newsgroups.

We have WWW pages (Intranet access only at the moment - but soon hope to
launch these to the wider community).

Bookings for tutorials (free introductory tutorials 3 times per week) can be
made at the reference desk or by phoning (07) 838 6827.

Palmerston North
================

Surfside Internet Cafe is located at 406 Main St.(along from the convention
centre) on the square in Palmerston North. Our telephone number is 356 9571
and our URL is http://www.ecafe.co.nz

Current opening hours: Monday 11am - 6 pm;
Tuesday - Friday 11am - 8 pm;
closed on weekends

charges: $7 / 15 mins on-line
tutorials: $7 / 15 mins and $12 / 30mins

Students / Seniors / Beneficiaries: $8 / 30 mins and $15 / 1 hour on-line
( the same reduced charges apply for everyone! all day Mondays and Tuesdays )

e-mail account: $5 one-off set-up fee + $5 for up to 30 mins

gift-vouchers available: $10 / 30mins

We have all sorts of coffees....latte,cappucino,espresso etc. Otherwise we
have other hot drinks, cold drinks, cake, and some savories.

Wellington
==========

Internet Public Access Terminals (IPAT)

Terminals allow unrestricted access to the Internet.
3 Locations: Downtown Wellington Backpackers, 28 Waterloo Quay.
Trekkers Hotel, 213 Cuba St.
YHA Wellington, Wakefield St.
Usage cost: Yes, terminals are coin operated.
Contact: Andrew Court, (021) 648-045, Email aco...@voyager.co.nz

Net Arena Computers

Terminal allows unrestricted access to the Internet.
Location: 110 Cuba St.
Hours 10am to 10pm Mon - Sat, 11am to 8pm Sundays.
Usage cost: Yes, contact Net Arena for details.
Contact: (04) 385-2240, Email a...@netlink.co.nz or a...@xtra.co.nz

Christchurch
============

See: http://www.ccc.govt.nz/Library/Internet_ChCh.html#RTFToC3
http://www.ccc.govt.nz/Library/Access_FAQ.html

----------------------------

Subject: Section 5.0: What's involved in actually getting on the Internet?

Individual Users
================

Hardware -

A Modem of some description. Basically the faster your modem can go the
better. A good modem should cost you less than $200 while a second hand or
slightly slower on should be available for less than $100. Don't get
anything slower than 14.4Kbps and 28.8Kbps or faster is best.

With the general increase in power of most PCs over the last couple of
years almost all newer machines will have no problem using the full range
of Internet applications. Certainly you should have no problem with
anything more powerful than a 486-DX33 with 8MB of RAM.

Software -

Shell accounts are becoming increasingly rarer as most ISPs move to PPP only.
However if you are using one you will find that a simple terminal program
that comes with your operating system or modem is all you will need.

PPP/SLIP software is available for MS-Windows, Mac, Amiga, MS-DOS , OS/2
and Unix platforms. Many of the best software is free or shareware. You
should think very carefully before you pay money for such software. When
you join an ISP they will usually supply you with the software you need,
however many ISps will only support Microsoft Windows software.

Companies
=========

Introduction -

Small companies can just choose to have an account similar to those for
individuals with a provider. If that is the case then hardware/software
requirements will be similar to those given for private users. Larger
companies may wish to be directly connected via leased circuits which may
require a large investment in software, hardware and training.

Hardware -

Some form of gateway machine is usually needed to provide a link between
a company's internal network and the Internet. This machine would usually
run some form of Unix and provide route, firewall and protocol
translation while acting as a mail, news server etc. For small to medium
size companies a 486 level PC running one of the free Unixes would
probably be sufficient.

Software -

This is very dependent on what your internal network runs along with
what level of access you are planning to give to your employees. In many
cases software is available free but there are also many commercial
packages available. You should check with your provider to see who they
recommend.

Leased Circuits -

This gives your company a continuous connection (via your provider)
with the Internet. At the cheapest level a leased phone line costs
$2000-$3000 to set up and as little as $100 a month to run. This can
provide a throughput of 33,500 bit per second. Faster options such as
ISDN and microwave are also available in some areas but the cost of these
options both in hardware and line rental (if applicable) rises sharply as
bandwidth increases.

World Wide Web Presence -

Almost all ISPs offer some sort of Web Page hosting. If you simply
require a couple of pages then they will usually be included in the price
of your account. More complicated arrangements may cost many thousands of
dollars per month in traffic, hosting other fees as well as many
man-hours in maintaining them.

----------------------------

Subject: Section 6.0: What can I do once I'm on the Internet?

The Internet is the result of connecting together a large number of
university, research, and commercial networks. It's history's first
major global computer network.

Originally it evolved out of a desire for researchers to communicate
with each other and exchange data more conveniently. Electronic mail
remains one of the major uses of the Internet today - anyone on the
network can send electronic mail to anyone else quickly and
conveniently.

A logical extension of this idea is "Usenet news", which allows people
to discuss publicly topics of interest with people all over the
world who have similar interests. There are over five thousand such
discussion groups now (although few sites carry them all) , with something
to interest everyone.

Both these services are "offline" services - in other words you send a
message and other people read it later. The alternative is programs
that type directly to other people's screens. The "online" equivalent
of mail is "talk" which allows you to chat with a friend, typing
directly to each other's screens. News' equivalent is "IRC" or
Internet Relay Chat which allows people to enter discussion groups on
various topics and send messages to each other.

People looking for software or information have various ways of
accessing it. "ftp" and "fsp" are ways of getting files from computers
anywhere in the world, with many places providing areas with
gigabytes of files. The problem with these is finding what you're
looking for amongst the millions of computers around the world. One
solution is "Archie", which can be used to search a list of ftp
sites for whatever you're interested in. Other alternatives are "gopher"
and "World Wide Web" (or "WWW") which provide a user-friendly way to
browse through the plethora of databases and ftp sites on the net.

"gopher" is an application that organises access to Internet resources. It
provides passage into other computers ( where these allow you to do this ),
for browsing and searching documents. It can also link to resources and
databases, such as Usenet, on-line library catalogues, and others. It is
usually a fairly easy way to find things on the 'Net' and to retrieve
information, such as FAQs.

Many games and bulletin boards are also accessible via the Internet,
including the very popular MUDs, or "Multi-User Dimension"s. These
allow people to wander around a simulated environment, interacting as if
they were physically in the same place.

There are plenty of other things to do on the Internet - just finding
out about them could easily become a career in itself! There's so many
interesting things out there that it's impossible to list them all but
exploring the possibilities is half the fun.

----------------------------

Subject: Section 7.0: How can I find out more about the Internet?

Usenet
======

* news.announce.newusers
There are a series of introductory texts posted to this group every week.
reading these could save you a lot of time and trouble as you are getting
started.

* alt.internet.access.wanted
If you want to find out if you can receive in a particular area try posting
here and asking.

* news.answers
Currently all 'official' FAQs are posted to this newsgroup (including
this one). Also all FAQs in this group are available via ftp from
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu:/pub/usenet/news.answers/

Other FAQs
==========

* FAQ: International E-mail accessibility.
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu:/pub/usenet/news.answers/mail/country-codes

* Summary list of Internet access providers in the UK.
ftp://archie.au/usenet/FAQs/alt.internet.access.wanted/Summary_list_of_Internet_access_providers_in_the_UK

* Network Access in Australia FAQ
ftp://archie.au/usenet/FAQs/alt.internet.access.wanted/Network_Access_in_Australia_FAQ

This FAQ may be slightly out of date, try also the list by Hankin Chick kept
at - http://netspace.net.au/~hankin/ispmenu.htm

* The Unofficial Internet Book List
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu:/pub/usenet/news.answers/internet-services/book-list

Books
=====

There are hundreds of books on the Internet currently available, most of
them fairly good. The "Unofficial Internet Book List"(see above) lists
most of these with prices and short reviews of many. Usually it is best
to buy a book that is as recent as possible since the Internet rapidly
changes and books over a year or two old are almost certainly out of
date in places.

* New Zealand Internet books

If anyone is aware of any good books on the Internet from a New Zealand
perspective I would be happy to list them.

----------------------------

Subject: Section 8.0: Disclaimer and Credits.

DISCLAIMER:

The 'Internet Access in New Zealand FAQ' is a private project done for
purely informational reasons. It has no affiliation with any group or
entity. Please note that information contained in this FAQ does not
necessarily reflect the opinions of myself or any company or organisation
I am connected with and vice versa.

While I endeavour to keep the FAQ as up-to-date and error free as possible
I can accept no responsibility for any errors in it, I will however do my
best to correct any errors as soon as I become aware of them.

Especially note that I only make minimum effort to check the validity
of entries sent to me by various organisations for inclusion in Section 3.
If you feel these are inaccurate you should point this out to the Managers
of the site, on Usenet or make a complaint to the Ministry of Consumer
Affairs.

CREDITS:

I would especially like to thank Zik Saleeba <z...@cs.monash.edu.au>, the
keeper of the 'Network Access in Australia FAQ' for permission to use
material from his FAQ in this one.

Big thanks to Don Neal for much of the information on the structure of the
New Zealand Internet and also to Bryce Farmilo, Ray Brownrigg and many
others for their input as well as to the various providers for their
information.

Additional to the above the following have also sent me information:

John Hamer, Alan Marston, Justine Lee, Gary Elmes, Manfred Marriott,
Richard Vowles, Marcus Robins, Colin Jackson, Douglas Davey,
t...@ben.dciem.dnd.ca, David King, Peter, Lyndon Watson, David Zanetti,
Tony Sutorius, David Dix, Craig J Rodger, Craig Johnston and many others
who I have missed.

Thanks also for moral support at various times from:

CJS, OSS, HJF, RV, SB, LN, and many others.

The End.