Danny and Tessa getting married...

Chris Woodrow

Aug 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/17/96

Don Mackie wrote:

> OK, what are these TV ads going to be about. For a month we've had the
> run-down to Danny and Tessa getting married. Danny and his brother on >
<snip>
> My hope is that it is one of the shock anti drink/drive ads.

<snip>

Don, sounds like a winner to me, although I had heard it from someone
at an advertising party :)

Wonder if Snowtex are prepared?

Regards
Chris

Steve Bell

Aug 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/18/96

don...@iconz.co.nz (Don Mackie) wrote:

>In article <32159E...@melco.co.nz>, Chris Woodrow <chr...@melco.co.nz>
>wrote:

>> Don Mackie wrote:
>> >
>> > OK, what are these TV ads going to be about. For a month we've had the
>> > run-down to Danny and Tessa getting married. Danny and his brother on >
>> <snip>
>> > My hope is that it is one of the shock anti drink/drive ads.

[...]

>Saw the latest one this evening...

>The lads are having a very ominous "just one more" down at the pub.

Yes, that's where my bets lie. Tho' to give everyone their due, it was
my 14-y-o daughter who first made that suggestion in our household.

My belief is that whatever the *claimed* motives of the ad, they're as
false as:
the Mainland cheese promotion,
the "What you're looking for" biscuit adverts (can't remember the
brand; shows the kind of impact it has). Arnott's - just recalled
about an hour later.
the old man who did the trick-whistling in the community hall (can't
even remember what kind of merchandise that was promoting; think it
was biscuits again; what's with biscuits?)
and that bloody awful "down the ages" Steinlager ad.

The real thing being sold here is the rural Kiwi lifestyle,
essentially unchanged since the 50s.

Or if it's changed, don't we wish we had the old days back?

See Claudia Bell (no relation), "Inventing New Zealand." Somewhere,
there is a Govt/ Ferreted Farmers body that awards grants to
advertisers for mispresenting New Zealand as a country 40 years behind
the times, with no cities.

Or maybe it's the Alliance.

>> Wonder if Snowtex are prepared?

One box when Danny and Tessa get killed; two boxes for the old man
watching the farm sold for a satellite station or a software factory.

I did like the story about the "half-wit who does all the work,"
though. Reminded me very much of my Canterbury farmer father-in-law's
sense of humour.

karyn

Aug 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/18/96
to don...@iconz.co.nz

>OK, what are these TV ads going to be about. For a month we've had the

>run-down to Danny and Tessa getting married. Danny and his brother on the
>farm, Tessa baking muffins, the old man telling jokes, the wheezing Billy
>T James clone in the pub telling jokes.
>
>What a lovely family in such a pleasantly nostalgic part of the country.
>What will the be selling to us?

>My hope is that it is one of the shock anti drink/drive ads.

Confirmed by a call in to More FM today - Its a drink-driving advert. Danny
is about to get killed on his way home, the night before his wedding, after
having that one for the road.

Simon Travaglia

Aug 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/18/96

Evan Yates <yat...@ruakura.mqm.govt.nz> wrote:
> In article <donald-1708...@donald.internet.co.nz> don...@iconz.co.nz (Don Mackie) writes:
> >From: don...@iconz.co.nz (Don Mackie)
> >Subject: Danny and Tessa getting married...
> >Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 21:44:39 +1200

> >OK, what are these TV ads going to be about. For a month we've had the
> >run-down to Danny and Tessa getting married. Danny and his brother on the
> >farm, Tessa baking muffins, the old man telling jokes, the wheezing Billy
> >T James clone in the pub telling jokes.

> >What a lovely family in such a pleasantly nostalgic part of the country.
> >What will the be selling to us?

> >My hope is that it is one of the shock anti drink/drive ads.

> >The lads will take care to have a designated driver at the stag night.
> >Then out of the blue some drunken stranger will wipe out most of the
> >family on the wedding day.

> >Danny's younger brother will survive to keep the farm but, bitter with
> >grief he will fall to pieces and the place will go to rack and ruin until
> >the landlord's gay son returns from the big city with four Clydesdales to
> >marry him for the Anchor daughter's new CB250-riding boyfrend will turn

CB250?!? Gag. Who thought that one up.

What I would like to see, but only on the ads that don't work:

DOC to come and shoot the horses on that bloody terrible DB ad
so that it doesn't go on any longer. (Except the woman from the
pub who drives like crap to hitch up with the horse owner who
had an almost unnatural fondness for dogmeat on the hoof)

Someone to shoot the "smart" dog on the Waikato commercial.
(Sorry, rest of the world, very geographic ad)
This ad really grates, and is not up to the Leon Rouge Ad
Standard. (Or the humour of previous Waikato ads)

Someone to ad "But we're still making a good profit" to the
back of Self Congratulatory Bank ads

Someone to take out and shoot whoever thought up the idea of
previewing a movie with an ad for itself. I.e. play the
preview, then "and now, in conjunction with >company< we give
you..." then run the movie.

Someone to thank TV3 for their coverage of upset relatives at
the recent funeral of a New Zealand aviator. Nothing I like
better than the invasion of a family's privacy at a time of
trauma. Good of TV3 to be there to capture it all.

--

Simon Travaglia, (s...@waikato.ac.nz) Unix Systems Administrator,
http://prime-mover.cc.waikato.ac.nz

Don Mackie

Aug 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/18/96

wrote:

> Don Mackie wrote:
> >
> > OK, what are these TV ads going to be about. For a month we've had the
> > run-down to Danny and Tessa getting married. Danny and his brother on >

> <snip>

> > My hope is that it is one of the shock anti drink/drive ads.
> >

> <snip>
>
> Don, sounds like a winner to me, although I had heard it from someone
> at an advertising party :)
>

> Wonder if Snowtex are prepared?

Saw the latest one this evening...

The lads are having a very ominous "just one more" down at the pub.

--
Don - at home.

Things get worse under pressure

(Murphy's law of thermodynamics)

Evan Yates

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96

In article <donald-1708...@donald.internet.co.nz> don...@iconz.co.nz (Don Mackie) writes:
>From: don...@iconz.co.nz (Don Mackie)
>Subject: Danny and Tessa getting married...
>Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 21:44:39 +1200

>OK, what are these TV ads going to be about. For a month we've had the

>run-down to Danny and Tessa getting married. Danny and his brother on the
>farm, Tessa baking muffins, the old man telling jokes, the wheezing Billy
>T James clone in the pub telling jokes.

>What a lovely family in such a pleasantly nostalgic part of the country.
>What will the be selling to us?

>My hope is that it is one of the shock anti drink/drive ads.

>The lads will take care to have a designated driver at the stag night.

>Then out of the blue some drunken stranger will wipe out most of the
>family on the wedding day.

>Danny's younger brother will survive to keep the farm but, bitter with
>grief he will fall to pieces and the place will go to rack and ruin until
>the landlord's gay son returns from the big city with four Clydesdales to
>marry him for the Anchor daughter's new CB250-riding boyfrend will turn

>out to be a marriage celebrant in a brave New Zealand where gay marriages
>are legal and nobody watches TV any more and Ruth Richardson will move in
>next door along with Rod and Rachel who take over the pub...

>Of course, it will probably be for life insurance or a dairy product.

>--
>Don - at home.

It sounds like the plot for the complementary series to "City life" called
"Country Death". Danny is headed for that big sheep-station in the sky
courtesy of a drink driving farm-ute accident after "just one more" at the
local pub. The grieving Tessa ("Muffin")will be left amongst the ovines
weeping on the shoulder of Matthew (the maori story-teller) who has been made
a paraplegic in the accident. You could throw in some neat scenes of the sheep
being slaughtered for real blood and gore.

Man, I desperately need to get a life...or become a television script writer.

---------------------------------
Evan Yates, Hamilton, New Zealand
---------------------------------
yat...@ruakura.mqm.govt.nz
---------------------------------

bout...@med.wcc.govt.nz

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96

In article <yatese.74...@ruakura.mqm.govt.nz>, yat...@ruakura.mqm.govt.nz (Evan Yates) writes:

> It sounds like the plot for the complementary series to "City life" called
> "Country Death". Danny is headed for that big sheep-station in the sky
> courtesy of a drink driving farm-ute accident after "just one more" at the
> local pub. The grieving Tessa ("Muffin")will be left amongst the ovines
> weeping on the shoulder of Matthew (the maori story-teller) who has been made
> a paraplegic in the accident. You could throw in some neat scenes of the sheep
> being slaughtered for real blood and gore.

Or put a sheep in the front seat with tessa - without a seat belt, of course.

Booomf

BAAAaaaaaa

plomp

> Man, I desperately need to get a life...or become a television script writer.

Shame the two are mutually exclusive in this country.

-Giles

Miche

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96

> What a lovely family in such a pleasantly nostalgic part of the country.
> What will the be selling to us?

My bets are on beer or insurance (possibly retirement funds).

Miche

------------
Michelle Campbell <*>
michelle...@stonebow.otago.ac.nz
What I post is my opinion only.
In order to achieve balance, first you need two sides.

Danny Gelb

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96

don...@iconz.co.nz (Don Mackie) wrote:

>In article <32159E...@melco.co.nz>, Chris Woodrow <chr...@melco.co.nz>
>wrote:

>> Don Mackie wrote:
>> >
>> > OK, what are these TV ads going to be about. For a month we've had the
>> > run-down to Danny and Tessa getting married. Danny and his brother on >

>> <snip>

>> > My hope is that it is one of the shock anti drink/drive ads.
>> >

>> <snip>
>>
>> Don, sounds like a winner to me, although I had heard it from someone
>> at an advertising party :)
>>
>> Wonder if Snowtex are prepared?

>Saw the latest one this evening...

>The lads are having a very ominous "just one more" down at the pub.

>--
>Don - at home.

Well according to my sources this is a very close copy to a public
service add that was run in Canada 10 to 15 years ago.

Danny does die, well so I am told, but my source can't remember what
the purpose of the advert was.

The only thing we know for sure is that the advertising agency doing
this is meeting its objective cause we are now talking about the
advert away from the TV medium.
--------------------------
Danny Gelb
Auckland
New Zealand
da...@whal.co.nz

Steve Wells

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96

DO> > >grief he will fall to pieces and the place will go to rack and
DO> > >the landlord's gay son returns from the big city with four Clyd
DO> > >marry him for the Anchor daughter's new CB250-riding boyfrend w
DO>
DO> CB250?!? Gag. Who thought that one up.

What's wrong with a CB-250? You're probably thinking of an SR, or god
forbid, a GN-250. ;)

As soon as there was the "just one more" bit, it was blatantly obvious it
was a drink-driving ad. I think everyone has got the point by now.
--
Murphy's word is law! Be excellent to each-other! Hail to the King baby!
Those who can be trusted can change their minds. (E. Vedder) Honda GB-400

Simon Travaglia

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96

Steve Wells <ste...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> What's wrong with a CB-250? You're probably thinking of an SR, or god
> forbid, a GN-250. ;)

Clunka Clunka. The CB anc CG series. Barf.
GN - cries of "girls bike, girls bike!".

fra...@pec.co.nz

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96

In <4v9arc$6...@asgard.actrix.gen.nz>, ste...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz (Steve Wells) writes:
>As soon as there was the "just one more" bit, it was blatantly obvious it
>was a drink-driving ad. I think everyone has got the point by now.

This ties in with a recent news article which said that, amongst others,
the rural community was to be targetted for an anti-drink-driving
campaign. Presumably this is it; there's bugger all else the Police can
do.

--
Frank van der Hulst | person:: programmer | user
Software Engineer (Cardax) | programmer:: BASIC_programmer

Stephen Judd

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

ah...@actrix.gen.nz (Steve Bell) writes:
>> don...@iconz.co.nz (Don Mackie) wrote:

>> The real thing being sold here is the rural Kiwi lifestyle,
>> essentially unchanged since the 50s.
>>

>[...]

>> Or maybe it's the Alliance.
>

>But what about all that crap about the "farmworkers union" the old man is
>ranting on about...what's the narrative line there about? The whole thing
>has a nice National voting, down on the farm, anti-progressive [note gender
>depictions], white nostelgia about it.
>
>I thought it was a party political broadcast myself.

Not to mention the overweight, good old maori joker matthew(?), who'll be
the agent of destruction, if predictions about the next "episode" are
right.

Although my experience of rural public bars is that they are unofficially
segregated, if it comes to that.

Stephen

--
Stephen Judd | Install new ClueDoubler(tm) today!
User Support Consultant | Minimum Configuration: half a Clue.

Morris, Peter

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

In article <32159E...@melco.co.nz> Chris Woodrow <chr...@melco.co.nz> writes:
>From: Chris Woodrow <chr...@melco.co.nz>
>Subject: Re: Danny and Tessa getting married...
>Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 22:28:07 +1200

>Don Mackie wrote:
>>
>> OK, what are these TV ads going to be about. For a month we've had the
>> run-down to Danny and Tessa getting married. Danny and his brother on >
><snip>
>> My hope is that it is one of the shock anti drink/drive ads.
>>
><snip>

>Don, sounds like a winner to me, although I had heard it from someone
>at an advertising party :)

>Wonder if Snowtex are prepared?

Nah! It's a Carefree ad. She buggers off with the bridesmaids and the male
stripper they got for the wedding reception and have a whale of a time down
in....er....Omaru!

Peter.

Darcy Ranger

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

In article <4vahaa$h...@netserv.waikato.ac.nz> si...@prime-mover.waikato.ac.nz (Simon Travaglia) writes:
>From: si...@prime-mover.waikato.ac.nz (Simon Travaglia)

>Subject: Re: Danny and Tessa getting married...
>Date: 19 Aug 1996 20:03:22 GMT

Michelle Sullivan

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

don...@iconz.co.nz (Don Mackie) wrote:

>In article <32159E...@melco.co.nz>, Chris Woodrow <chr...@melco.co.nz>
>wrote:

>> Don Mackie wrote:

>> > OK, what are these TV ads going to be about. For a month we've had the
>> > run-down to Danny and Tessa getting married. Danny and his brother on >
>> <snip>
>> > My hope is that it is one of the shock anti drink/drive ads.

>Saw the latest one this evening...

>The lads are having a very ominous "just one more" down at the pub.

I have also noticed that there are no beer brands visible in the pub.
Could this mean that in fact Danny is going to come to a nasty end
(and ofcourse no brand could be associated with this!) or is it in
fact another beer add - with the brand soon to be revealed.

But I am beginning to think Danny and Tessa are not going to make it
to the alter...
=====================
MB Sullivan
tpNet Administration
=====================

"God must have been disappointed with Adam -
he made Eve so different."

Don Mackie

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

> Steve Wells <ste...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> > What's wrong with a CB-250? You're probably thinking of an SR, or god
> > forbid, a GN-250. ;)
>
> Clunka Clunka. The CB anc CG series. Barf.
> GN - cries of "girls bike, girls bike!".

Exactly! Which is the _real_ reason the Anchor parents should be worried
about her new boyfriend. He is cynical enough to ride one in an
intimidating manner....

--
Don - at home.

Things get worse under pressure

Stuart Pettigrew

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

:
: > >What a lovely family in such a pleasantly nostalgic part of the country.

: > >What will the be selling to us?
:
: > >My hope is that it is one of the shock anti drink/drive ads.
:
It did look like a BNZ style long drawn out add capagin the first
"episode" but when they first drunk and drove ALAC did not kick up a
stink like they did during the first few BEER commerical. The add with
the "Tackle in the hills" seemed to be a farm law office showing how to
pass on land successfully. Last weeks the HALFWIT looked like the
employers federation add. This week looks like a Drink drive add but I
think it could be something else like all 4 firm combing to form one
super add. Rather than give a donation to polical parties the firms may
just decide to make up an advery instead.

Cheers
Stu

C. Taylor

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

In article <4v87mf$c...@orm.southern.co.nz>, ka...@southern.co.nz (karyn) wrote:

> >OK, what are these TV ads going to be about. For a month we've had the
> >run-down to Danny and Tessa getting married. Danny and his brother on the
> >farm, Tessa baking muffins, the old man telling jokes, the wheezing Billy
> >T James clone in the pub telling jokes.

> Confirmed by a call in to More FM today - Its a drink-driving advert. Danny

> is about to get killed on his way home, the night before his wedding, after
> having that one for the road.

How can you send a shocking message via a production which everyone -
actors, directors, etc - has obviously had so much fun making???

Jane Gregg

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

In article <4v82ad$b...@reader1.reader.news.ozemail.net>, ah...@actrix.gen.nz (Steve Bell) writes:
> don...@iconz.co.nz (Don Mackie) wrote:
>
>>In article <32159E...@melco.co.nz>, Chris Woodrow <chr...@melco.co.nz>
>>wrote:
>
>>> Don Mackie wrote:
>
> The real thing being sold here is the rural Kiwi lifestyle,
> essentially unchanged since the 50s.

[...]

> Or maybe it's the Alliance.

But what about all that crap about the "farmworkers union" the old man is
ranting on about...what's the narrative line there about? The whole thing
has a nice National voting, down on the farm, anti-progressive [note gender
depictions], white nostelgia about it.

I thought it was a party political broadcast myself.

--
Jane Gregg
j.g...@amst.canterbury.ac.nz The views above are mine - sue me.
*Get over it*

Jason Rumney

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

In article <4vbdaa$s...@newshost.tpnet.co.nz>, mich...@tpnet.co.nz (Michelle Sullivan) writes:

> I have also noticed that there are no beer brands visible in the pub.
> Could this mean that in fact Danny is going to come to a nasty end
> (and ofcourse no brand could be associated with this!) or is it in
> fact another beer add - with the brand soon to be revealed.

Definitely not a beer ad. They are showing it in the early evening,
and there is a clear association with drinking and driving there.

Time is an arrangement. Time is an arranger. I am a derangement.
- Pixies
-------------------------------- Jason Rumney <jas...@pec.co.nz> -------

Kurt

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

ka...@southern.co.nz (karyn) writes:

> Confirmed by a call in to More FM today - Its a drink-driving advert. Danny
> is about to get killed on his way home, the night before his wedding, after
> having that one for the road.

But the current ad, when they are in the pub having 'one more drink',
says at the beginning that it is ONE WEEK before the wedding. Perhaps
this is just a teaser and the real tradgedy happens at the stag night.

Kurt

Ian Baker

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

da...@whal.co.nz (Danny Gelb) wrote:

>The only thing we know for sure is that the advertising agency doing
>this is meeting its objective cause we are now talking about the
>advert away from the TV medium.
>--------------------------
>Danny Gelb
>Auckland
>New Zealand
>da...@whal.co.nz

The advertising Co is Saatchi & Saatchi (Wellington) and my inside
source told me today it is a drink driving ad.

Carey Evans

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

iba...@nznet.gen.nz (Ian Baker) writes:

> The advertising Co is Saatchi & Saatchi (Wellington) and my inside
> source told me today it is a drink driving ad.

It was on tonight (21/8) anyway... "Country people die on country
roads", then "More later" with the Police logo down the bottom of the
screen.

--
Carey Evans <*> <URL:http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~carey/>
ca...@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz c.e...@student.canterbury.ac.nz

"ed is the standard text editor."

Mr G Clarkson

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

Well it's happened. They didn't come home from the pub. So the
father goes and looks for them. He finds them in thier
up-turned ute by the side of the river. It ends with a a
message about country people die on country roads and then we
get another sign saying "more later" It was very sad but
hopefully very informative there just seems to be no getting
through to some peole.

Aimee

Lil' Ditty

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

Miche wrote:

> In article <donald-1708...@donald.internet.co.nz>
> don...@iconz.co.nz (Don Mackie) writes:
>
> > What a lovely family in such a pleasantly nostalgic part of the country.
> > What will the be selling to us?
>
> My bets are on beer or insurance (possibly retirement funds).
>
> Miche

Think again, what they're selling is Death, or Life depending on the way you look at
it...They two brothers and Danny crash off a bridge...Its the Police's bitch of a way of
saying that 'country people die on country roads' .
Here I was looking forward to the wedding...
Bummer Huh?

--
'I take pride as the king of illiterature....'
b.b...@student.canterbury.ac.nz

Morris, Peter

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

In article <4v87mf$c...@orm.southern.co.nz> ka...@southern.co.nz (karyn) writes:

>>OK, what are these TV ads going to be about. For a month we've had the
>>run-down to Danny and Tessa getting married. Danny and his brother on the
>>farm, Tessa baking muffins, the old man telling jokes, the wheezing Billy
>>T James clone in the pub telling jokes.
>>

>>What a lovely family in such a pleasantly nostalgic part of the country.
>>What will the be selling to us?
>>

>>My hope is that it is one of the shock anti drink/drive ads.
>>

>Confirmed by a call in to More FM today - Its a drink-driving advert. Danny
>is about to get killed on his way home, the night before his wedding, after
>having that one for the road.

The question for me is, would he have died anyway? I haven't seen fully the
ending as to what happened but my guess is that he would have.

Put it down to high jinx and laddish behaviour and not to drink.

Peter.

Dyan Campbell

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

: In article <morrisp.33...@lincoln.ac.nz>, mor...@lincoln.ac.nz (Morris, Peter) writes:
:
: > The question for me is, would he have died anyway? I haven't seen fully the
: > ending as to what happened but my guess is that he would have.
:
: > Put it down to high jinx and laddish behaviour and not to drink.

Really? Seems to me that prominent businessman (the guy the police tried
to protect with their botched investigation) who had 3 times the legal
limit of blood alcohol was not engaging in high jinks or laddish
behaviour. He was prominent, wealthy, middle-aged idiot who got drunk and
drove, and because he was drunk he killed three teenaged girls.

cheers

dyan

Kevin Jensen

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

>Aimee

I note also how the "more later" is no longer in italics. It is in
much larger, bolder lettering, and it is accompanied by the Police
logo. The overall tone of the ad changes also with less joking and
everyone being much more serious and somber from the very begining.

Kevin.

P Focas

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

In <321AE6...@student.canterbury.ac.nz>, Lil' Ditty <b.b...@student.canterbury.ac.nz> writes:
>Miche wrote:
>>
>> In article <donald-1708...@donald.internet.co.nz>
>> don...@iconz.co.nz (Don Mackie) writes:
>>
>> > What a lovely family in such a pleasantly nostalgic part of the country.
>> > What will the be selling to us?
>>
>> My bets are on beer or insurance (possibly retirement funds).
>>
>> Miche
>>

>Think again, what they're selling is Death, or Life depending on the way you look at
>it...They two brothers and Danny crash off a bridge...Its the Police's bitch of a way of
>saying that 'country people die on country roads' .
>Here I was looking forward to the wedding...
>Bummer Huh?
>
>--
Not at all, I hope when they have their accident that they have the good fortune to take out the
guy trying to sell his Clydessales in that beer add, and the family with the Anchor butter and the biker,

Jason Rumney

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

In article <morrisp.33...@lincoln.ac.nz>, mor...@lincoln.ac.nz (Morris, Peter) writes:

> The question for me is, would he have died anyway? I haven't seen fully the
> ending as to what happened but my guess is that he would have.

> Put it down to high jinx and laddish behaviour and not to drink.

Huh? Let me guess, you're a marketing rep for a brewery perhaps. No,
even they have more sense than to suggest that alcohol has nothing to
do with your chances of having a fatal accident. I can see the next
lot of ads will need to be targetted at old codgers like yourself who
think that drink-driving is OK because they're not up to the high jinx
those young whipper-snappers get up to.

Democracy is coming to the USA.
- Leonard Cohen

Dan Langille

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

On 21 Aug 1996 06:37:28 GMT, Mr G Clarkson <clar...@nelson.planet.org.nz>
wrote:

> Well it's happened. They didn't come home from the pub. So the
> father goes and looks for them. He finds them in thier
> up-turned ute by the side of the river.

The thing that annoys me about the ad series is that I've been following it
all along. Seen each of the episodes. Then I read about it here and I
haven't seen the last episode yet! So much for my shock effect.
--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited - Wellington

Mike Nelson

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

Mr G Clarkson wrote:

> Well it's happened. They didn't come home from the pub. So the
> father goes and looks for them. He finds them in thier
> up-turned ute by the side of the river. It ends with a a
> message about country people die on country roads and then we
> get another sign saying "more later" It was very sad but
> hopefully very informative there just seems to be no getting
> through to some peole.
>
> Aimee

In this case only country people Aimee not you and me coz we're on to it
eh ?

MN
Mike Nelson.
....happiness doesn't depend upon who you are or what you
have; it depends upon what you think. Dale Carnegie (1888-1955)

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing
a poor hand well. Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894)

Steve Bell

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

Carey Evans <ca...@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

>iba...@nznet.gen.nz (Ian Baker) writes:

>> The advertising Co is Saatchi & Saatchi (Wellington) and my inside
>> source told me today it is a drink driving ad.

>It was on tonight (21/8) anyway... "Country people die on country
>roads", then "More later" with the Police logo down the bottom of the
>screen.

From my knowledge of many "country people," the typical response will
be. "Yes, we may die on country roads, but it's the townies and the
tourists that *cause* most of the accidents."

They don't have the 'extra skills needed to drive these roads,' you
see. That's a direct quote; to my (mostly town-dwelling, English)
father after a near collision. The whole thing was too split-second
for me to confidently apportion blame from the back seat, but he's
normally a careful driver with about two accidents to his name in some
40 years.

My response would be. "Do something about the bloody awful country
roads and it might have more effect than chanting the traditional
police mantram 'speed and alcohol, speed and alcohol'."

Make the country roads safe for speeding drunks. No, I'm only about a
quarter serious.

Keith Coman

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

Morris, Peter wrote:

> In article <4v87mf$c...@orm.southern.co.nz> ka...@southern.co.nz (karyn) writes:
>
> >>OK, what are these TV ads going to be about. For a month we've had the
> >>run-down to Danny and Tessa getting married. Danny and his brother on the
> >>farm, Tessa baking muffins, the old man telling jokes, the wheezing Billy
> >>T James clone in the pub telling jokes.
> >>
> >>What a lovely family in such a pleasantly nostalgic part of the country.
> >>What will the be selling to us?
> >>
> >>My hope is that it is one of the shock anti drink/drive ads.
> >>
> >Confirmed by a call in to More FM today - Its a drink-driving advert. Danny
> >is about to get killed on his way home, the night before his wedding, after
> >having that one for the road.
>
> The question for me is, would he have died anyway? I haven't seen fully the
> ending as to what happened but my guess is that he would have.
>
> Put it down to high jinx and laddish behaviour and not to drink.
> Nah!
Tessa wanted to get her hands on the farm and the old man's
money -- Danny is a bit simple and easily manipulated. She paid off the
daft Maori guy in the pub to fix the brakes on Dad's ute. Unbeknown to
Tessa, Dozy Danny took the old man's ute to the Owl Hotel instead of his
own.
Just before leaving the house, Tessa got Dad to sign a new will
making she and Danny joint and several executors of his estate. Dad had
also just made over to Danny a 50 percent stake in the farm.
Tessa's now thinking fast, and ..... The Story Continues!
KRC

Derek Gunn

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

In article <4viacu$8...@reader1.reader.news.ozemail.net>
ah...@actrix.gen.nz (Steve Bell) writes:

> From my knowledge of many "country people," the typical response will
> be. "Yes, we may die on country roads, but it's the townies and the
> tourists that *cause* most of the accidents."

Some people just do not want to hear some things.

[...]

> My response would be. "Do something about the bloody awful country
> roads and it might have more effect than chanting the traditional
> police mantram 'speed and alcohol, speed and alcohol'."

Extremely expensive; and will it really have any benefit anyway?
Invercargill has reeeeally wide street, and - hopeless drivers.
Much of Europe has really narrow streets/lanes and relatively good
drivers.
Also, look at the places the white crosses appear. Corners, intersections
mostly, but also straight sections of road. Median barriers on all rural
roads you think? Stop lights on all rural intersections?

> Make the country roads safe for speeding drunks. No, I'm only about a
> quarter serious.

Uh-hunh.

Derek Gunn

Jeremy Bowen

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

Mr G Clarkson <clar...@nelson.planet.org.nz> wrote:

>Well it's happened. They didn't come home from the pub. So the
>father goes and looks for them. He finds them in thier
>up-turned ute by the side of the river. It ends with a a
>message about country people die on country roads and then we
>get another sign saying "more later" It was very sad but
>hopefully very informative there just seems to be no getting
>through to some peole.

I'd just like to know how they managed to get their ute on that side
of the bridge coming BACK from the Pub ??

Looks to me like they've somehow managed to cross the bridge and do a
180 before breaking through the railings and overturning. Nice trick
if you can do it.

Ute
----- ## X ------
| OWL | --------------\_________/------------------- | Farm |
| PUB | Road _________ | |
----- ------------- / \------------------- ------
Bridge
over
River

That's how it looks to me anyway...
--
# o@C>-
# Jeremy Bowen jer...@pec.co.nz Me not PEC(NZ) Ltd # __/___

P Dansted

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

Jer...@ORAC.pec.co.nz (Jeremy Bowen) writes:
>I'd just like to know how they managed to get their ute on that side
>of the bridge coming BACK from the Pub ??

>Looks to me like they've somehow managed to cross the bridge and do a
>180 before breaking through the railings and overturning. Nice trick
>if you can do it.

> Ute
> ----- ## X ------
> | OWL | --------------\_________/------------------- | Farm |
> | PUB | Road _________ | |
> ----- ------------- / \------------------- ------
> Bridge
> over
> River

>That's how it looks to me anyway...

I reckon they were halfway home and decided to turn back for
a last drink and came unstuck. This campaign is evidently
not about drink driving at all but rather pointing out the
dangers of indecision...

># Jeremy Bowen jer...@pec.co.nz Me not PEC(NZ) Ltd # __/___

Paul

Steve Bell

Aug 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/26/96

De...@Otago.ac.nz (Derek Gunn) wrote:

>In article <4viacu$8...@reader1.reader.news.ozemail.net>
>ah...@actrix.gen.nz (Steve Bell) writes:

>> From my knowledge of many "country people," the typical response will
>> be. "Yes, we may die on country roads, but it's the townies and the
>> tourists that *cause* most of the accidents."

>Some people just do not want to hear some things.

Not sure who you're hitting at there; the country people or the T&Ts.

>[...]
>> My response would be. "Do something about the bloody awful country
>> roads and it might have more effect than chanting the traditional
>> police mantram 'speed and alcohol, speed and alcohol'."

>Extremely expensive; and will it really have any benefit anyway?
>Invercargill has reeeeally wide street, and - hopeless drivers.
>Much of Europe has really narrow streets/lanes and relatively good
>drivers.

The Guiness Book of Records used to have an entry for the "loneliest
tree," at an oasis in the middle of the Sahara. There was no other
tree for several hunded Km in any direction.

The tree no longer features, because a French army truck driver
demolished it.

(mind you, it doesn't say what else was in the vicinity of the tree.
Might have been stuck in a narrow lane between two buildings for all I
know. But it's a good story.)

>Also, look at the places the white crosses appear. Corners, intersections
>mostly, but also straight sections of road.

Straight sections of *lousy* road, surfaced with loose gravel, with
the occasional light relief of a boulder right under the rear axle.

> Median barriers on all rural
>roads you think? Stop lights on all rural intersections?

NO, just SEAL the damned things. Too expensive, I know. But make a
start on the most dangerous stretches.

No, the police have got better things to spend money on, like
multi-million dollar hunts for cannabis growers.

Seriously, I *know* the police don't finance the building of roads;
but I think they might have some clout with the Govt and Transit NZ as
to priorities.

Jeremy [Mej] Taylor

Aug 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/26/96

Keith Coman wrote:

> > Nah!
> Tessa wanted to get her hands on the farm and the old man's
> money -- Danny is a bit simple and easily manipulated. She paid off the
> daft Maori guy in the pub to fix the brakes on Dad's ute. Unbeknown to
> Tessa, Dozy Danny took the old man's ute to the Owl Hotel instead of his
> own.
> Just before leaving the house, Tessa got Dad to sign a new will
> making she and Danny joint and several executors of his estate. Dad had
> also just made over to Danny a 50 percent stake in the farm.
> Tessa's now thinking fast, and ..... The Story Continues!
> KRC

Oh, bravo, great story.

Thought about writing for Shortland Street? Would improve it about, oh,
I dunno - 1 million percent?
--
Jeremy Taylor (jeremy...@tait.co.nz)

Jeremy [Mej] Taylor

Aug 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/26/96

Evan Yates wrote:
> It sounds like the plot for the complementary series to "City life" called
> "Country Death". Danny is headed for that big sheep-station in the sky
> courtesy of a drink driving farm-ute accident after "just one more" at the
> local pub. The grieving Tessa ("Muffin")will be left amongst the ovines
> weeping on the shoulder of Matthew (the maori story-teller) who has been made
> a paraplegic in the accident. You could throw in some neat scenes of the sheep
> being slaughtered for real blood and gore.

I KNEW there had to be a wedding in there somewhere still - they didn't
say "a week before the wedding day" - they said "a week before the
wedding!" So there is one - Muffins and Matthew!!!!

--
Jeremy Taylor (jeremy...@tait.co.nz)

Derek R Tearne

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

In article <4vt7ts$4...@reader1.reader.news.ozemail.net>,
ah...@actrix.gen.nz (Steve Bell) wrote:

> The Guiness Book of Records used to have an entry for the "loneliest
> tree," at an oasis in the middle of the Sahara. There was no other
> tree for several hunded Km in any direction.

I don't knmowabout the guinness category, but the tree (or rather
the site of the tree) is still marked on the Michelin map for
Algeria.

> The tree no longer features, because a French army truck driver
> demolished it.

What makes this whole story even more poignant, apart from it's being
completely true, was that this was the second time the tree had been
seriously damaged by a motor vehicle. The first time it survived.

> (mind you, it doesn't say what else was in the vicinity of the tree.
> Might have been stuck in a narrow lane between two buildings for all I
> know. But it's a good story.)

It was a reasonable distance away from the side of the road... Although
road is a fairly loose term in those parts...

--
Derek Tearne. - @URL Internet Consultants - http://url.co.nz/
Some of the more environmentally aware dinosaurs were worried about the

sco...@taranaki.ac.nz

Sep 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/1/96

si...@prime-mover.waikato.ac.nz (Simon Travaglia) wrote:

>Steve Wells <ste...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

>> What's wrong with a CB-250? You're probably thinking of an SR, or god
>> forbid, a GN-250. ;)

>Clunka Clunka. The CB anc CG series. Barf.
>GN - cries of "girls bike, girls bike!".
Nothing wrong with the CB100 and 125's or the CG110 or 125, at least you
could work on them.
The GN's were good, I had one and the only thing that went wrong with it
was the carb jet got clogged once.

Scooter

Scooter Dowle
Po Box 4127