I wonder how many contracts will be handed out uncontested...

JohnO

Oct 5, 2022, 4:58:29 PM10/5/22
... after someone hires Faafoi to "grease the wheels"?

https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2022/10/from_cabinet_straight_to_lobbying.html

Mahuta set the mould, now it will be all on. Koha for contracts, bro.

Faafoi has gone straight from Cabinet to selling influence. This smells as fishy as Gannin Ormsby's contracts. Labour people really are the most mendacious, corrupt creatures. Always on the take.

Crash

Oct 5, 2022, 5:42:57 PM10/5/22
On Wed, 5 Oct 2022 13:58:28 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <john...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I agree that this looks really bad. It is a pity that DPF did not
provide cites for how other countries limit influence-peddling as he
maintains - it would be useful to know exactly how other countries
have legislated such limits.

--
Crash McBash

Rich80105

Oct 5, 2022, 6:33:48 PM10/5/22
On Thu, 06 Oct 2022 10:42:54 +1300, Crash <nog...@dontbother.invalid>
wrote:
I agree with those expressing concern - and yes David Farrar does not
miss an oportunity - see
https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2022/10/from_cabinet_straight_to_lobbying.html

which includes what a small number of other countries do :

<Many countries have a cooling off period to prevent what has just
happened here. The period is often 12 – 18 months or longer and
prevents former Ministers from immediately becoming lobbyists. This is
the case in Australia (18 months), Canada (five years), the EU (18
months), UK (two years) and the US (two years).

So what Faafoi has done would be prohibited in almost every other
developed country. >

Quite why he thinks those represent almost every other developed
country is most unclear, but there is an argument for a cooling off
period. I can just see however the ACT mob objecting to the
registering of lobbyists - it would be seen as authoritarian overkill
. . . Labour may well be most unimpressed as well of course, but
the same has been done by quite a few past politicians.