Pounamu - tapu?

Clay

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
Could someone tell me what the correct way of dealing with pounamu is? My
daughter has just bought a pendant and although I cannot remember the
reasons, I do recall my grandmother telling me it can never be anything
other than a gift. Even then, I think she said it had to be blessed. I
would appreciate any information as I feel very uneasy about this purchase
and cannot recall why!
Thanks.

Clay

The Hobbit

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00

"Clay" <ct...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

From what I recall - you shouldn't buy greenstone for yourself as it is
supposed to be gifted. I think you are also supposed to get it blessed by a
tribal elder if it's going out of the country (eg on her OE)

Good luck!

Newsman

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00

Silly, superstitious malarkey.

Newsman

The Hobbit

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00

"Col" <cfra...@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> How much does that cost nowadays ?

I'm sure you just make a gift... probably not in the range of a tonne of
snapper like the gift to the 4 year old northland maori boy a year back -
but a gift none the less - I took a couple of friends from Sweden to get
this done and they happily parted with $40 for the 'cultural experience' the
elders appeared to be happy with that... (it was 2 items however)

Gabe

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
Newsman wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:11:13 +1200, "The Hobbit"

> <Bilbo....@Bag.End.com> wrote:
>

> >"Clay" <ct...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Could someone tell me what the correct way of dealing with pounamu is? My
> >> daughter has just bought a pendant and although I cannot remember the
> >> reasons, I do recall my grandmother telling me it can never be anything
> >> other than a gift. Even then, I think she said it had to be blessed. I
> >> would appreciate any information as I feel very uneasy about this purchase
> >> and cannot recall why!
> >

> >From what I recall - you shouldn't buy greenstone for yourself as it is
> >supposed to be gifted. I think you are also supposed to get it blessed by a
> >tribal elder if it's going out of the country (eg on her OE)
> >
> >Good luck!
>
> Silly, superstitious malarkey.
>
> Newsman

To Maoris it may not be silly superstitious stuff but not being Maori I
would agree with you Newsman.

Gabe

Gabe

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00

Having said that though, there probably is a good reason for their
superstition. you might have to look back a long way to find out the
reason but it is probably there.

cheers

Gabe

Patrick Fitzgerald

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:45:45 +1200, Col <cfra...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

:
::
::i have been sending greenstone to people for years . none have had an evil act
::befall them .It is a lot of supersticous nonsense .

Dead right Col.

But I guess it is a nice little earner for some

JOIN A UNION TODAY
patricK

Greg

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00

"Clay" <ct...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Could someone tell me what the correct way of dealing with pounamu is? My

ahh the good old days in the TAPU pub .. :)

I like food, food tastes good.

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
Newsman wrote:

> Silly, superstitious malarkey.
>
> Newsman

Newsman, what is your last name?

The Hobbit

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00

"Col" <cfra...@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
<Snip>

> i have been sending greenstone to people for years . none have had an
evil act
> befall them .It is a lot of supersticous nonsense .

Agreed IMO. However, the question was regarding the 'correct' way to deal
with it, and I guess the blessing could be considered the correct method,
it's up to Clay to do whatever from there...

It's a bit like diving at the poor knights (until the ban is lifted by the
local tribe on Thursday (?) ) Probably won't kill ya, it'd be coincidental
if anything bad *did* happen, but those who feel the need to respect the
local tribes wishes can do so.

I like food, food tastes good.

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
Col wrote:
> Same as your's Mr Good.

So you assume my first name is "I", and I have four middle names, with
the second and third being exactly the same. Or was I married to a Mrs
Like, Food, another Mrs Food, and then Mrs Tastes.

Clay

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00

"Kirsty" <kirst...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> It's a pendant. There is nothing special about it. Does it matter what
your
> grandma told you?

Yep, it matters if there is a niggling doubt that is causing some concern.
Also, I don't want us to offend any of the rellies. Ever had that feeling
that you *know* you have done something wrong, but can't quite work out what
it is?
Clay

KPW

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
In article <oZWD4.75$HRW1....@news.xtra.co.nz>, ct...@NOSPAMhotmail.com
says...

Part of this is the high esteem in which greenstone is held and a wish to
treat it as something special and not just an lump of coloured rock. I
guess it's all in the attitude of the owner. If greenstone is just a
stone to you, then that's all you are giving your relatives. If it is
loaded with culture and history, then your gift has a whole added
dimension. Having the pendant blessed is a way of signifying the worth of
the gift to you and to them.
But also there is a Polynesian attitude to gift giving, which I quite
like. Most of the value of a little taonga such as a pendant, whether
made from greenstone or anything else, is it's mana; what we Europeans
might call it's sentimental value. Something bought off the shelf or made
for oneself is just a trinket, no matter what it is made of or how
finely worked it might be. When it is given with love it carries the mana
of the giver and of the occasion on which it was given. The more people
who have owned a taonga and the more times it has been given, the more
mana it has. Consider yourself highly esteemed in a Samoan or Tongan or
Fijian gathering if the finely woven mat given to you is the old tatty
one.
Blessing an item means to set it aside for a special purpose: here
probably to mark some significant relationship between you and the people
receiving it. You could get an elder to bless it, or any priest or
minister or do it yourself. If you don't do it there is no suggestion you
have broken tapu. But your gift might have added meaning for the
recipients if you do.

===============
Kelvin Wright
Dunedin
New Zealand
===============

Greg

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00

> Having said that though, there probably is a good reason for their
> superstition. you might have to look back a long way to find out the
> reason but it is probably there.
>
> cheers
>
> Gabe

hubble bubble toil and trouble

Kathy

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00

Col wrote >i have been sending greenstone to people for years . none have

had an evil act
>befall them .It is a lot of supersticous nonsense .

Sssssh, Col, before Dave Joll starts accusing you of hysteria and bigotry.

Don Mackie

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
In article <TA7gODDkMfGQYI...@4ax.com>, Col
<cfra...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> i have been sending greenstone to people for years . none have had an
evil act
> befall them .

So it's like a chain letter? Or the opposite perhaps.
--
"Any PC built after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit,"
Reverend Jim Peasboro

Brian Dooley

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:45:22 +1200, Gabe
<smar...@spam.sucks.iprolink.co.nz> wrote:

>Newsman wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:11:13 +1200, "The Hobbit"
>> <Bilbo....@Bag.End.com> wrote:
>>

>> >"Clay" <ct...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

>> >From what I recall - you shouldn't buy greenstone for yourself as it is
>> >supposed to be gifted. I think you are also supposed to get it blessed by a
>> >tribal elder if it's going out of the country (eg on her OE)
>> >
>> >Good luck!
>>
>> Silly, superstitious malarkey.
>>
>> Newsman
>
>To Maoris it may not be silly superstitious stuff but not being Maori I
>would agree with you Newsman.

You tell me how much a blessing costs and I'll tell you whether
it's silly, superstitious malarkey or not.

Brian Dooley

Wellington New Zealand

e_l_l_e

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00

well said! You've put into words the thoughts that were going
around in my head when I first read this thread yeasterday...
how you do that???

Kirsty

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
Apologies to you Clay, i was in a rotten mood that day, and you got my sarcasm.
Didn't mean to knock your beliefs, i just don't' believe in this sort of thing
myself that is all. But if you've got a doubt best to sort it out. Since it was
your daughter who bought it, have you asked her how she feels about it, Maybe
she doesn't feel there is anything wrong, in which case you could leave it.

--
{{{Kirsty, owned by Gomaz, Paddy & Robyn (oh, and Chris too)}}}}

Clay

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00

"Brian Dooley" <bri...@clear.net.nz> wrote in message
A blessing costs nothing, although a koha of your choice may be given if you
wish.
Clay

J.Andrew

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
e_l_l_e <e_l_l_e...@my-deja.com.invalid> spake thusly:

>well said! You've put into words the thoughts that were going
>around in my head when I first read this thread yeasterday...
>how you do that???

He must be telepathetic!

J.Andrew
=====================================
Television is called a medium because
it is neither rare, nor well-done.

Clay

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00

"e_l_l_e" <e_l_l_e...@my-deja.com.invalid> wrote in message

> well said! You've put into words the thoughts that were going
> around in my head when I first read this thread yeasterday...
> how you do that???

Yes, well said indeed. But, no-one has answered my question yet :-(
It was not bought as a gift, it was purchased by my daughter for herself.
She has now been told that it is extremely unlucky and has put it away,
never to be worn again.
Is it considered unlucky to buy for your own use? Should she give it away
(but, then again, if it was not bought to be given as a gift, won't that
demean the giving)?
Should she get it blessed?
Can anyone enlighten us on the correct (Maori) way of dealing with pounamu?
Thanks.

Clay

KPW

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
In article <SIfE4.387$HRW1.2...@news.xtra.co.nz>,
ct...@NOSPAMhotmail.com says...

> "e_l_l_e" <e_l_l_e...@my-deja.com.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> > well said! You've put into words the thoughts that were going
> > around in my head when I first read this thread yeasterday...
> > how you do that???
> >

> Yes, well said indeed. But, no-one has answered my question yet :-(
> It was not bought as a gift, it was purchased by my daughter for herself.
> She has now been told that it is extremely unlucky and has put it away,
> never to be worn again.
> Is it considered unlucky to buy for your own use?

No. It should be thought of as similar to a diamond ring. Usually diamond
rings are given to signify engagement, and have a special meaning when so
given or received. But there's nothing to stop anybody buying one for
their own use.

> Should she give it away

Why? If she likes it why not wear it?

> (but, then again, if it was not bought to be given as a gift, won't that
> demean the giving)?

Not at all. In fact, if she wore it for a while and became attached to
it, the giving would be enhanced if/when she finally did give it away.She
could wear it with the purpose of eventually giving it away, and be on
the look out for the right person to receive it in 1, 5, 10 or 50 years'
time

> Should she get it blessed?

Not necessarily. But if she is that worried about it by all means have it
blessed. As her father, you are perfectly entitled to do that.
You could use these words:

I runga i te Whakapono o Ihu Karaiti
ka whakatapu e tatou tenei taonga
i runga i te ingoa o te Matua, o te Tama, o te Wairua Tapu.

(In the faith of Jesus Christ,
we bless this treasure
in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit)

But if you prefer, trot along to your local priest/minister/kaumatua. It
should take 2 minutes and will cost you nothing

> Can anyone enlighten us on the correct (Maori) way of dealing with pounamu?
> Thanks.

I am confident in what I have just told you but I would not presume to
any authority in the Maori world.

Dave Joll

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
Newsman wrote in message <38e00baf...@news.paradise.net.nz>...

>Silly, superstitious malarkey.

If you're really that down on superstition, why not have
a go at the christians? They're much more heavily established.

Clay

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00

"KPW" <kel...@nospam.ihug.co.nz> wrote in message

Kia Ora "KPW" - I appreciate it.
Clay

Synch

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
I guess you've already got the answer. But here it is again. Bone and
Greenstone must be gifted to somebody. It is extremely bad luck to keep it
for yourself. Greenstone can be blessed after or before it has been gifted
to you, it is then yours for ever. You can gift it on but it is very
valuable to you or the person who has it once you die.

A friend of mine had some blessed greenstone stolen and this all came up.
The person who stole it has brought spiritual shame on themselves and their
family and will suffer etternal bad luck for it. Apparently.

The main thing to remember is you can't ever buy it for yourself. It must
be gifted or it will cause you harm.

I think the story is something to do with it being a gift from the land to
you and when you accept it you must always have it with you.

Good luck, give it away.

Clay <ct...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Could someone tell me what the correct way of dealing with pounamu is? My
> daughter has just bought a pendant and although I cannot remember the
> reasons, I do recall my grandmother telling me it can never be anything
> other than a gift. Even then, I think she said it had to be blessed. I
> would appreciate any information as I feel very uneasy about this purchase
> and cannot recall why!

> Thanks.
>
> Clay

Geoff McCaughan

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
Synch <synch_@*nospam*hotmail.com> wrote:
> I guess you've already got the answer. But here it is again. Bone and
> Greenstone must be gifted to somebody. It is extremely bad luck to keep it
> for yourself.

> The main thing to remember is you can't ever buy it for yourself. It must

> be gifted or it will cause you harm.

Would you care to provide a reference to back up these ridiculous
assertions?

KPW

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
In article <8bu7lt$l4s$1...@thoth.trimble.co.nz>,
geoff_m...@trimble.com says...
I have been trying to find the origins of this often repeated but ill
founded piece of mythology myself. I haven't succeeded. If you believed
it you would never leave the country, because every plane out is at least
half full of tourists who are staggering under the weight of all the
greenstone knick nacks bought for themselves and their friends. Take a
look at any of the Many maori cultural sites on the web and you will find
them more than happy to sell greenstone for the personal use of anyone
with a visa card.

Patrick Fitzgerald

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 12:17:42 +1200, "Synch"
<synch_@*nospam*hotmail.com> wrote:

::I guess you've already got the answer. But here it is again. Bone and
::Greenstone must be gifted to somebody. It is extremely bad luck to keep it
::for yourself.

Wow back to the stone age. !!

I off to get some greenstone which I am going to keep for myself.

SUPPORT THE CASE AGAINST THE NASTY NATS ID CARD

Patrick

Patrick Fitzgerald

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
I bet the basis for all this greenstone ridiculous superstition is the
amount of money to be made out of blessing it to calm the fears of
the misguided

Where can I go to get trained in the blessing racket ?

I like food, food tastes good.

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
Patrick Fitzgerald wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 12:17:42 +1200, "Synch"
> <synch_@*nospam*hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> ::I guess you've already got the answer. But here it is again. Bone and
> ::Greenstone must be gifted to somebody. It is extremely bad luck to keep it
> ::for yourself.
>
> Wow back to the stone age. !!
>
> I off to get some greenstone which I am going to keep for myself.

I consider this land belonging to me as much as any other person
currently residing on it. I think something that comes from this land,
equally deserves to be subjected to my anti-dogmatic unritualistic
make-your-own-rules culture (which IS beautiful in itself), as the
Maori's. I don't consider Maori's to have a monopoly on the dealings
with greenstone, their ways are no more valid than mine. Enjoy your
greenstone Partick, fart on it for me.

Pip

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00

Patrick Fitzgerald <patr...@netaccess.co.nz> wrote in message

> I bet the basis for all this greenstone ridiculous superstition is the
> amount of money to be made out of blessing it to calm the fears of
> the misguided
>
> Where can I go to get trained in the blessing racket ?

Hey Mate...you expect people to show you respect over your views....so why
dont you show a bit of respect to someone elses views.....whether they be
mumbo-jumbo,documentated fact or whatever..
Just a thought
Pip

Keith Whitehead

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
In article <38e2b642...@news.netaccess.co.nz>,
patr...@netaccess.co.nz (Patrick Fitzgerald) wrote:

> I bet the basis for all this greenstone ridiculous superstition is the
> amount of money to be made out of blessing it to calm the fears of
> the misguided
>
> Where can I go to get trained in the blessing racket ?

Such cutural sensitivity...

You said in a different thread that you do not start abuse...well this
shows that to be untrue. The post of yours would be considered an attack
on a cultural belief and be offensive to those holding those beliefs.

--
This sig is under nourished
Working Solo dad of 2 boys , and proud as hell of them.

newsman

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 21:37:43 +1200, k.j.wh...@massey.ac.nz (Keith
Whitehead) wrote:

>In article <38e2b642...@news.netaccess.co.nz>,
>patr...@netaccess.co.nz (Patrick Fitzgerald) wrote:
>
>> I bet the basis for all this greenstone ridiculous superstition is the
>> amount of money to be made out of blessing it to calm the fears of
>> the misguided
>>
>> Where can I go to get trained in the blessing racket ?
>
>Such cutural sensitivity...
>
>You said in a different thread that you do not start abuse...well this
>shows that to be untrue. The post of yours would be considered an attack
>on a cultural belief and be offensive to those holding those beliefs.

If a belief has any robustness whatever it will be impervious to any
'attack' made on it. Otherwise it might as well just die like any
other moribund creation, real or imagined.

Newsman

Patrick Fitzgerald

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 17:59:15 +1200, "Pip" <pip...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

::Hey Mate...you expect people to show you respect over your views....so why

::dont you show a bit of respect to someone elses views.....

I do not have to show respect for irrational superstitous nonsesnse.

KPW

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
In article <38e37f2...@news.netaccess.co.nz>,
patr...@netaccess.co.nz says...

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 17:59:15 +1200, "Pip" <pip...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>

> ::Hey Mate...you expect people to show you respect over your views....so why
> ::dont you show a bit of respect to someone elses views.....
>
> I do not have to show respect for irrational superstitous nonsesnse.

And I'd agree with you on that statement. But do realise that what you
are condemning in this thread is not traditional Maori practice or belief
but the bastardised version of it which has drifted into Pakeha
consciousness as superstition.

Keith Whitehead

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
In article <38e336ac...@news.paradise.net.nz>,
new...@paradise.net.nz (newsman) wrote:

> If a belief has any robustness whatever it will be impervious to any
> 'attack' made on it. Otherwise it might as well just die like any
> other moribund creation, real or imagined.

Then all religious beleif should be canned, It would seem to me that
they all say they are the one and only true faith...this gives the
suspicion that at least a few a probably wrong.

Patrick Fitzgerald

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00

Finds tongues in trees, books in the running rooks,
Sermons in stones and good in everything.

Patrick Fitzgerald

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 02:13:06 GMT, patr...@netaccess.co.nz (Patrick
Fitzgerald) wrote:

OOPS !! its not running rooks - but running brooks
::
::
So here is te correct version
::
::
Finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks,

Keith Whitehead

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
In article <38e37f2...@news.netaccess.co.nz>,
patr...@netaccess.co.nz (Patrick Fitzgerald) wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 17:59:15 +1200, "Pip" <pip...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>

> ::Hey Mate...you expect people to show you respect over your views....so why
> ::dont you show a bit of respect to someone elses views.....
>
> I do not have to show respect for irrational superstitous nonsesnse.

So you give yourself divine right to decide on the validity of someone
elses faith , beliefs , and cultural values. Do you confer this right on
everyone else to make judgements on your values ?

Tim the Tower Man

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00
Greg wrote:

> "Clay" <ct...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Could someone tell me what the correct way of dealing with pounamu is? My
>

> ahh the good old days in the TAPU pub .. :)

Are you referring to the DB Poenamo on the North Shore?
Different spelling?
Or is the spelling in the thread title incorrect?

--
Tim Marett
a.k.a. Tim the Tower Man

antispam correct timtower
reply address @
address is ihug.co.nz

Greg

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00

"Tim the Tower Man" <I.dont....@m.ihug.co.nz> wrote in message

> Greg wrote:
>
> > "Clay" <ct...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Could someone tell me what the correct way of dealing with pounamu is?
My

> > ahh the good old days in the TAPU pub .. :)
>
> Are you referring to the DB Poenamo on the North Shore?
> Different spelling?
> Or is the spelling in the thread title incorrect?

no the tapu pub on the coromandel thames coast :) some bloody nice weed down
them areas

falanh...@gmail.com

May 23, 2013, 2:45:20 AM5/23/13
On Tuesday, March 28, 2000 9:00:00 PM UTC+13, Newsman wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:11:13 +1200, "The Hobbit"
> <Bilbo....@Bag.End.com> wrote:
>

> >"Clay" <ct...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Could someone tell me what the correct way of dealing with pounamu is? My
> >> daughter has just bought a pendant and although I cannot remember the
> >> reasons, I do recall my grandmother telling me it can never be anything
> >> other than a gift. Even then, I think she said it had to be blessed. I
> >> would appreciate any information as I feel very uneasy about this purchase
> >> and cannot recall why!
> >

> >From what I recall - you shouldn't buy greenstone for yourself as it is
> >supposed to be gifted. I think you are also supposed to get it blessed by a
> >tribal elder if it's going out of the country (eg on her OE)
> >
> >Good luck!
>
> Silly, superstitious malarkey.
>
> Newsman

Dear "Newsman":
That 'superstitious malarkey' you refer to is actually part of an indigenous culture. And culture, it seems, is something of a foreign concept for you judging by the post you've made.So let me help you out a little by excusing you for your ignorance and advising you...dont bother talking about issues you have no knowledge about-you make yourself appear even stupider than you probably look in person keyboard warrior.
Kind regards.

-Newsman-

May 23, 2013, 3:47:29 AM5/23/13
On Wed, 22 May 2013 23:45:20 -0700 (PDT), falanh...@gmail.com
wrote:

>On Tuesday, March 28, 2000 9:00:00 PM UTC+13, Newsman wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:11:13 +1200, "The Hobbit"
>> <Bilbo....@Bag.End.com> wrote:
>>=20
>> >
>> >"Clay" <ct...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> My
>hase
>> >

>> >From what I recall - you shouldn't buy greenstone for yourself as it is
>> >supposed to be gifted. I think you are also supposed to get it blessed =
>by a
>> >tribal elder if it's going out of the country (eg on her OE)
>> >
>> >Good luck!
>>=20
>> Silly, superstitious malarkey.
>>=20
>> Newsman
>
>Dear "Newsman":
>That 'superstitious malarkey' you refer to is actually part of an indigenou=
>s culture.

Once again for the slow learners:

---------------------

If a belief has any robustness whatever it will be impervious to any
'attack' made on it. Otherwise it might as well just die like any
other moribund creation, real or imagined.

---------------------

Ras Mikaere Enoch Mc Carty

May 23, 2013, 4:13:59 AM5/23/13
"Hobbit" (Sorcery Pom "culture")

Newsman wrote:

>Silly, superstitious malarkey.

.

Scheming, Inbred Theiving White European
Genetic Code (D.N.A.) Of Animal Instinctual Rape,
Pillage, Swindle, Outright Theft Of Other's Lands,
Possessions, Mineral Wealth, Etc.

GREENSTONE (Pounamu)

Grand Theft Murdering Paakehaa With Greenstone
(Jade) In Their Eyes, With 'NO MANA' Attached,
In The Wholesale Theft Of Minerals And Resources
Of Te Aotearoa:
By PAAKEHAA

Parasite Chinese Gook Hordes Aquiring All Available
Greenstone Sources To Make Ugly Pagan Fertility
Stone Trinkets . . . . For Small Dong Chinese.

PAAKEHAA

ﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣ
Ras Mikaere Enoch Mc Carty
Maangai Kaawanatanga - Tainui Kiingitanga - Te Aotearoa
http://www.exorcist.org.nz Ko te Mana Motuhake
http://www.exorcist.org.nz/nz_michael_peter_stiassny.html
http://www.exorcist.org.nz/nz_sis_gcsb_evil_racist_spying.html
http://www.exorcist.org.nz/iankahi_eriya_nation_john_frum.html
ﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣ

"A proclamation dated 11 July, 1863 declared that
Maori who did not take the oath of allegiance
would lose their lands; government forces crossed
the Mangatawhiri River (the Kiingitanga boundary)
and fought the first battle before its text had been
seen in Waikato"

"The Government made no real attempt to
negotiate, merely issuing proclamations in
June 1861 and July 1863 demanding submission.
At Taupiri in January 1863, in a pronouncement
that reverberated throughout the movement,
Grey threatened to dig around the Kiingitanga
until it fell."
-- John Gorst

Patrick FitzGerald

May 23, 2013, 3:25:34 PM5/23/13
On Wed, 22 May 2013 23:45:20 -0700 (PDT), falanh...@gmail.com
wrote:

There is no tapu or other superstitious magic associated with
Pounamu. It is just a rock like Basalt, Grewacke or Granite formed by
geological processes.

Patrick

george152

May 23, 2013, 4:30:56 PM5/23/13
On 24/05/13 07:25, Patrick FitzGerald wrote:

> There is no tapu or other superstitious magic associated with
> Pounamu. It is just a rock like Basalt, Grewacke or Granite formed by
> geological processes.

For once Patrick has posted what is common sense...

Ras Mikaere Enoch Mc Carty

May 23, 2013, 5:37:22 PM5/23/13

"Patrick FitzGerald" wrote:

≤⅗ There is no tapu or other superstitious magic
≤⅗ associated with Pounamu.

.

Paakehaa Patrick ——> Ignorant Euro Ha'ole To
Maaori (Māori) Protocol
TAPU:
Pounamu Mere = Not To Be Sat Upon

MAGIC:
Kohukohu \ Kangakanga = Curse On Paakehaa
Mineral Thieves

Kai Oraora = Cursing Song Against Paakehaa
Mineral Thieves

FITZPATRICK:
Cursed Norman Surname Denoting 1066 A.D. Invasion
Thieving Double-Dealing Double-Helix D.N.A.
Stealing Irish Heritage, Not Irish At All.

ﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣ
Ras Mikaere Enoch Mc Carty
Maangai Kaawanatanga - Tainui Kiingitanga - Te Aotearoa
http://www.exorcist.org.nz Ko te Mana Motuhake
http://www.exorcist.org.nz/nz_michael_peter_stiassny.html
http://www.exorcist.org.nz/nz_sis_gcsb_evil_racist_spying.html
http://www.exorcist.org.nz/iankahi_eriya_nation_john_frum.html
ﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣ

" Mr. Edward R. Murrow, As Far Back As Twenty (20)
Years Ago, Was Engaged In Propaganda For Communist
Causes, For Example The Institute Of International
Education, Of Which He Was The Acting Director --
Was Chosen To Act As A Representative By Soviet
Agency To Do A Job Which Would Normally Be Done
By The Russian Secret Police"

" Mr. Murrow's Organization Acted For The Russian
Espionage And Propaganda Organization Known
As V.O.K.S. "

— Senator Joseph Mc Carthy (R)
April 6, 1954
C.B.S. / 'See It Now'

——>

Ras Mikaere Enoch Mc Carty

May 23, 2013, 5:38:24 PM5/23/13

Pooh

May 23, 2013, 6:59:49 PM5/23/13

"george152" <gbl...@hnpl.net> wrote in message
But what is 'Grewacke'? Must be someone else using Pratsies nym. After all
we all know Pratsie NEVER makes spelling mistakes in his moronic rants.

Pooh

Patrick FitzGerald

May 23, 2013, 7:19:49 PM5/23/13
There is no tapu or other superstitious magic associated with
Pounamu. It is just a rock like Basalt, Greywacke or Granite formed by
geological processes.

Patrick

george152

May 23, 2013, 8:14:26 PM5/23/13
:)
I find that if I post a spelling flame I get something spelt wrong in
spite of the spell checker....

BR

May 24, 2013, 1:39:30 AM5/24/13
wrote:

>> Silly, superstitious malarkey.
>>
>> Newsman
>
>Dear "Newsman":
>That 'superstitious malarkey' you refer to is actually part of an indigenous
>culture. And culture, it seems, is something of a foreign concept for you judging
>by the post you've made. So let me help you out a little by excusing you for your
>ignorance and advising you...dont bother talking about issues you have no
>knowledge about-you make yourself appear even stupider than you probably
>look in person keyboard warrior.
>Kind regards.

I'm with Newsman on this rare occasion.

Indigenous "culture" is mostly superstitious nonsense.

Taniwhas and all that, bollocks.

Bill.

-Newsman-

May 24, 2013, 2:09:44 AM5/24/13
Word is that the taniwha's physical manifestation suspiciously
resembles a dollar sign.

And what about 'secretive taniwha that rise up from swamps and river
beds every now and again, demanding a tithe from Transit New Zealand?'

Anyone ever seen one? What's the going rate for a rising-up?

Allistar

May 24, 2013, 3:35:33 AM5/24/13
Sounds must like a lot of western "culture".

> Taniwhas and all that, bollocks.

Don't forget gods.
--
A.

Rich80105

May 24, 2013, 6:11:20 AM5/24/13
On Fri, 24 May 2013 19:35:33 +1200, Allistar <m...@hiddenaddress.com>
wrote:
Low taxes are god-like to some

victor

May 24, 2013, 6:12:02 AM5/24/13
On 24/05/2013 7:35 p.m., Allistar wrote:
> BR wrote:

>> I'm with Newsman on this rare occasion.
>>
>> Indigenous "culture" is mostly superstitious nonsense.
>
> Sounds must like a lot of western "culture".
>
>> Taniwhas and all that, bollocks.
>
> Don't forget gods.

Or the free market.

geopelia

May 24, 2013, 6:45:16 PM5/24/13

"-Newsman-" <sla...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
They had to change a proposed road to avoid a taniwha's habitat.
An offended taniwha could be dangerous.
Perhaps State Highway 2 near Mangatawhiri should be checked for taniwhas.
Older Maori might know if one is around there.
The death rate is far too high for a modern road.

As for greenstone, the Warehouse sells something similar as jade.
I doubt there is much difference.

Rich80105

May 24, 2013, 7:33:22 PM5/24/13
On Sat, 25 May 2013 10:45:16 +1200, "geopelia" <geop...@nowhere.com>
wrote:
Geologically little difference I understand, but the origin of the
Warehouse material is probably China.

David

May 24, 2013, 9:37:44 PM5/24/13

He tapu hoki he ingoa anake,

he tapu te pounamu,

he tapu nga taonga katoa.

He aha te raruraru?

Naku noa na Rawiri...

geopelia

May 25, 2013, 10:37:19 AM5/25/13

"Rich80105" <rich...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Yes, jade has some significance in China. Isn't it supposed to preserve a
corpse from decay?
Remember the princes they found some years ago in suits made of jade?

Katipo

May 26, 2013, 7:02:18 PM5/26/13

> >From what I recall - you shouldn't buy greenstone for yourself as it is
> >supposed to be gifted. I think you are also supposed to get it blessed
> >by a
> >tribal elder if it's going out of the country (eg on her OE)
> >
> >Good luck!

How much do the maoris charge for a blessing these days?

Message has been deleted

-Newsman-

May 29, 2013, 9:48:40 PM5/29/13
On Thu, 30 May 2013 13:39:14 +1200, Every All Where
<A...@any.where.ver> wrote:

>On , , Fri, 24 May 2013 12:14:26 +1200, Re: Pounamu - tapu?, george152
>The correct word is "spelled" not "spelt".

Either is OK.

geopelia

May 30, 2013, 2:50:35 AM5/30/13

"-Newsman-" <sla...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Spelt is a kind of wheat, used for flour.

But I spell the spelling word either way, too.
If in doubt use "written".

Message has been deleted

eva...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2013, 5:57:13 AM12/10/13
On Tuesday, 28 March 2000 21:00:00 UTC+13, Clay wrote:
> Could someone tell me what the correct way of dealing with pounamu is? My
> daughter has just bought a pendant and although I cannot remember the
> reasons, I do recall my grandmother telling me it can never be anything
> other than a gift. Even then, I think she said it had to be blessed. I
> would appreciate any information as I feel very uneasy about this purchase
> and cannot recall why!
> Thanks.
>
> Clay

It's a sign of respect (not just superstitious) if you're gonna wear something that's sacred to a race. Than quit your bullshit and abide by the tradition. If not, stick to the gold and silver eh.

David

Dec 10, 2013, 11:10:58 AM12/10/13
A good reply... but don't expect an wisdom form this forum, huh?

He rau moemiti...

george152

Dec 10, 2013, 2:29:18 PM12/10/13
Go down to the markets and there will be stalls there loaded with
pounamu carvings all with a price ticket on them.
For greenstone and jade the same applies

David

Dec 10, 2013, 11:39:55 PM12/10/13
On Wednesday, 11 December 2013 08:29:18 UTC+13, george wrote:

> Go down to the markets and there will be stalls there loaded with
>
> pounamu carvings all with a price ticket on them.
>
> For greenstone and jade the same applies

A lot of the pounamu, and the jade, will have come from Asia.

george152

Dec 11, 2013, 2:33:58 PM12/11/13
So what's all this nonsense about a piece of imported inferior stone cut
to resemble some culture or other as being 'sacred' ?

David

Dec 11, 2013, 5:05:21 PM12/11/13
On Thursday, 12 December 2013 08:33:58 UTC+13, george wrote:

> So what's all this nonsense about a piece of imported inferior stone cut
>
> to resemble some culture or other as being 'sacred' ?

Its called provenance.

roksta...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2014, 5:36:36 AM6/4/14
It's special to the Maori people and you get it blessed before you wear them or else it becomes bad luck. It's not 'Pounamu' if it isn't blessed and you should never wear it until it is....repeated and this reply is completely unnecessary since its 2014 but I felt offended due to previous comments from disrespectful dumb asses -_-

george152

Jun 4, 2014, 4:08:24 PM6/4/14
On 04/06/14 21:36, roksta...@gmail.com wrote:
> It's special to the Maori people and you get it blessed before you wear them or else it becomes bad luck. It's not 'Pounamu' if it isn't blessed and you should never wear it until it is....repeated and this reply is completely unnecessary since its 2014 but I felt offended due to previous comments from disrespectful dumb asses -_-

How about Jade then ?

Roger Dewhurst

Jun 4, 2014, 9:51:48 PM6/4/14
On Tuesday, 28 March 2000 21:00:00 UTC+13, Clay wrote:
> Could someone tell me what the correct way of dealing with pounamu is? My
> daughter has just bought a pendant and although I cannot remember the
> reasons, I do recall my grandmother telling me it can never be anything
> other than a gift. Even then, I think she said it had to be blessed. I
> would appreciate any information as I feel very uneasy about this purchase
> and cannot recall why!
> Thanks.
>
> Clay

Paddy is right for once. Just a bit of low value mineral.

notyoavera...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2014, 7:15:07 AM6/18/14
On Tuesday, March 28, 2000 9:00:00 PM UTC+13, Clay wrote:
> Could someone tell me what the correct way of dealing with pounamu is? My
> daughter has just bought a pendant and although I cannot remember the
> reasons, I do recall my grandmother telling me it can never be anything
> other than a gift. Even then, I think she said it had to be blessed. I
> would appreciate any information as I feel very uneasy about this purchase
> and cannot recall why!
> Thanks.
>
> Clay

Hey there, As a part Maori of Kai Tahu iwi,i would like to say that you are quite right about not buying Pounamu for yourself.
Pounamu has to be gifted to another and yes, getting it blessed is most appropriate, but it doesn't have to be blessed.
Nastassija :)

Patrick FitzGerald

Jun 18, 2014, 4:07:55 PM6/18/14

Pounamu is just another rock produced by geological processes as was
Greywacke, basalt etc formed

Being just another inert rock amomg many others it possesses no
special properties.

Patrick

Patrick FitzGerald

Jun 24, 2014, 7:04:19 PM6/24/14

But Pounamu may have special problems

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/te-manu-korihi/248119/pounamu-workers-may-get-new-rules

Those who work with Pounamu or greenstone may be included in new rules
regulating work involving asbestos.

Patrick

TIMO

Jun 24, 2014, 11:11:48 PM6/24/14
You really are an ignorant idiot. Do you flip burgers for a living (or work for the oil industries serving penne arabata to the frackers?)

Patrick FitzGerald

Jun 25, 2014, 12:12:40 AM6/25/14
On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 20:11:48 -0700 (PDT), TIMO <tuata...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>You really are an ignorant idiot. Do you flip burgers for a living (or work for the oil industries serving penne arabata to the frackers?)

You really are an ignorant idiot if you believe Pounamu is not just an
inert rock produced by geological processes.

It is obvious from, your mention of it, that you flip burgers for a
living. You also hide behind a yellow streak pseudonym to make your
silly, puerile, abusive post.

Patrick

george152

Jun 25, 2014, 12:56:13 AM6/25/14
Okay. What is special about Jade or Greenstone?

TIMO

Jun 27, 2014, 2:36:16 PM6/27/14
Your ignorant because you don't appreciate or sensitive to other peoples cultures or belief systems. You are not a labour supporter as you so make out. As I have said in other posts, you hide behind that Rick Young Ones character while disseminating mistruths about global warming (or flip burgers).

Patrick FitzGerald

Jun 27, 2014, 4:09:18 PM6/27/14
On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 11:36:16 -0700 (PDT), TIMO <tuata...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Your ignorant because you don't appreciate or sensitive to other peoples cultures or belief systems.

Your [sic] ignorant because you don't appreciate or [are] insensitive
to scientific facts.

A rock is a rock is a rock and whether it is Greywacke or Pounamu it
is an inert mass produced by geological process.

Patrick

TIMO

Jun 30, 2014, 6:58:51 PM6/30/14
On Friday, June 27, 2014 1:09:18 PM UTC-7, Patrick FitzGerald wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 11:36:16 -0700 (PDT), TIMO <tuata...@yahoo.com>
>

> >Your ignorant because you don't appreciate or sensitive to other peoples cultures or belief systems.

> Your [sic] ignorant because you don't appreciate or [are] insensitive
>
> to scientific facts.

> A rock is a rock is a rock and whether it is Greywacke or Pounamu it
>
> is an inert mass produced by geological process.

Dumb ass.

Patrick FitzGerald

Jun 30, 2014, 8:59:50 PM6/30/14
On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 15:58:51 -0700 (PDT), TIMO <tuata...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Dumb ass.

What a brilliant logical argument!!

No wonder you suffer from delusions of mystical properties of inert
rocks.

Patrick

Roger Dewhurst

Jun 30, 2014, 10:00:23 PM6/30/14
Paddy is right. It is just a rock, an interesting one nevertheless. Some rocks and minerals are valuable but most are not. Greenstone, bowenite, or what ever you want to call it is marginally semi-precious.

geopelia

Jul 1, 2014, 9:05:13 AM7/1/14

"Patrick FitzGerald" wrote in message
Unless it is a Uranium bearing rock. But it would be very risky to wear
that!

geopelia

Jul 1, 2014, 9:10:58 AM7/1/14

"george152" wrote in message
They are supposed to have special properties. A body encased in jade is
supposed not to decay.
Two ancient Chinese princes were buried in suits of jade plates.
(See Google Images)

george152

Jul 1, 2014, 4:26:49 PM7/1/14
On 02/07/14 01:05, geopelia wrote:

> Unless it is a Uranium bearing rock. But it would be very risky to wear
> that!

Riiight. Every-one just loves a bit of dull rock necklace :)
No matter what gemstone it is slightly radioactive but then everything is

misanthropic_curmudgeon

Jul 1, 2014, 6:10:29 PM7/1/14
On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 1:05:13 AM UTC+12, geopelia wrote:
[snip]
> Unless it is a Uranium bearing rock. But it would
> be very risky to wear that!

Interestingly, that is a subplot twist explored in Michael Douglas' "The Idiot Played Rachmaninov", set on The West Coast of NZ.
http://www.amazon.com/Idiot-Played-Rachmaninov-Michael-Douglas/dp/0473207230

geopelia

Jul 1, 2014, 10:18:24 PM7/1/14

"misanthropic_curmudgeon" wrote in message
Looks interesting! I'll look out for it.

hinea...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2014, 9:55:58 AM8/6/14
Abit late in the discussion re pounamu but this is my understanding..... pounamu is usually gifted to you, however this being said, pounamu will find you if you are meant to have it. It will "call to you" so to speak. Culturally speaking, you never own pounamu but become a caretaker of it ( the piece that is ) for the next person.
Blessing can be as simple or as elaborate as you want it to be..... an elder, priest etc etc saying some prayers over it, or putting it into running water, a stream, river or the like and saying a prayer and giving thanks in a respectful manner.
As far as "a rock is a rock" goes... I can only say this.
The white man can have his gold and silver ( rocks )
The maori have Pounamu

hinea...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2014, 10:26:40 AM8/6/14
Whats special about pounamu you ask ??? Ok this is my take on it ... thinking in a "westerner" sense. Nephrite Jade or Pounamu in NZ, is admired for both its beauty & its strength the world over.
I read you can get nephrite jade in Australia and Canada however.. the quality of the stone and its range of colours is nowhere near pounamu and this particular variety of "jade" is ONLY FOUND in NZ. That in itself makes it precious. Also, with the deposits of pounamu being found becoming fewer, pounamu is fast becoming more and more desirable (maybe not so great)
Remember Chinese Jade was and is still highly valued.. so to Pounamu to the maori. To truly understand its significance to the people you need to walk in their shoes.... its not about "the rock" its the journey the rock made...

george152

Aug 6, 2014, 4:21:44 PM8/6/14
Unless you are a 'Rock Hound' then its greenstone/jade and comes in
pebble, stone and boulder size

hinea...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2014, 5:54:54 AM8/7/14
Sure....)

hinea...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2014, 9:15:33 AM8/7/14
Here is somethibg else i found....
Greenstone or Jade.
If it isn’t possible for you to return it, wrap it up and bury it somewhere no one will dig it up on purpose. Or if you live by a river return it back to the water. It must be a river, not an ocean.
No stone is taken from the river without it being blessed so it will bless . If it is negative for you then it needs to go back in the soil or in the river if not, to the person who gave it to you.

Another thing ....

For New Zealand’s Māori people, pounamu - also known as New Zealand jade - is of great cultural and spiritual value, and is considered tapu or sacred.

In traditional Māori life, pounamu was used for everything from jewellery and adornments signifying the wearer’s mana or status, to tools and weapons. It was often used as a gift and as a symbol of peace.

lesb...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2014, 2:26:45 AM11/19/14
Blesssings cost nothing

Patrick FitzGerald

Nov 19, 2014, 3:33:02 PM11/19/14
On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 23:26:43 -0800 (PST), lesb...@gmail.com wrote:

Just a rock

arian...@icloud.com

May 4, 2015, 6:18:40 AM5/4/15
On Tuesday, March 28, 2000 at 9:00:00 PM UTC+13, Clay wrote:
> Could someone tell me what the correct way of dealing with pounamu is? My
> daughter has just bought a pendant and although I cannot remember the
> reasons, I do recall my grandmother telling me it can never be anything
> other than a gift. Even then, I think she said it had to be blessed. I
> would appreciate any information as I feel very uneasy about this purchase
> and cannot recall why!
> Thanks.
>
> Clay

Okay, You cannot buy yourself a pounamu because that is really tapu. You have to be gifted it by someone else. If the pounamu falls off its not meant to be. If you lose it, it should come back to you if its rightfully yours. If you find one in the sea, Do not wear it, Gift or carve but its not yours if you dont want to do those things then throw it back to the sea. If it breaks then thats really tapu and hasnt been blessed properly.Also Have it blessed by a kaumatua because ive heard i few cases when it wraps around necks, just to be safe. And this is superstitious and traditional and if you people commenting just do what ever you like with our sacred items then you just insulted our whole culture so please be considerite of my culture...

george152

May 4, 2015, 4:08:58 PM5/4/15
Its a bloody rock.
You can pick it up in the South Island.
Rock hunters do it all the time..
People carve it to make salable items (and dosh for themselves)
It is loading more messages.