New mouse - suggestions?

dementer

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
I am curently looking at a couple of options for a new mouse

* the MS optical intellimouse explorer retails ~$150? (4 btns and wheel)

* or the Logitech gameing mouse, about $100. going to trial it when store
gets it in

I -don't- want to have to deal with my increasing intemitent mouse anymore!
Any recomendations?

Gnoks

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
If you are willing to spend, yes, go for the MS Optical Intellimouse
xplorer.

If you want less, buy the $80 Intellieye which works equally well which
I use and recommend.

--
.| GNOKS
| | < gn...@hotmail.com >
|'| ._____
___ | | |. |' .---"|
_ .-' '-. | | .--'| || | _| |
.-'| _.| | || '-__ | | | || |
|' | |. | || | | | | || |
___| '-' ' "" '-' '-.' '` |____

Dan Langille

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 18:39:11 +1200, Gnoks <gn...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> If you want less, buy the $80 Intellieye which works equally well which
> I use and recommend.

I'll second that. I have one at the office and it's much better than a
traditional MS mouse.
--
Dan Langille [and yes, I could do with more work]
http://www.freebsddiary.org/ | http://www.nzfug.nz.freebsd.org/

Andrew Crawford

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
In article <3903EC0F...@hotmail.com>, gn...@hotmail.com
says...

> If you are willing to spend, yes, go for the MS Optical Intellimouse
> xplorer.
>
> If you want less, buy the $80 Intellieye which works equally well which
> I use and recommend.
>

> dementer wrote:
> >
> > I am curently looking at a couple of options for a new mouse
> >
> > * the MS optical intellimouse explorer retails ~$150? (4 btns and wheel)
> >
> > * or the Logitech gameing mouse, about $100. going to trial it when store
> > gets it in
> >
> > I -don't- want to have to deal with my increasing intemitent mouse anymore!
> > Any recomendations?

I paid $115 for my ms optical explorer. Not to bad. Can run
as ps/2 or usb.

--
Andrew Crawford

Chrissy R

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
"The KIWI ŠŽ" wrote
> A Stack of MVP do not reckon to use it as a USB mouse as the USB
version
> 1.1 does not multitask very well but it works OK as a PS2 mouse..
>
> USB version 2.0 will fix this problem but that will mean a new MoBo
or a add
> on card..

And if an MVP says it, it must be correct.
--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
+ + + + C h r i s s y + + + +

Andrew Crawford

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
In article <ve28gskqadmabc9pn...@4ax.com>,
rog...@clear.net.nz says...
> A Stack of MVP do not reckon to use it as a USB mouse as the USB version
> 1.1 does not multitask very well but it works OK as a PS2 mouse..
>
> USB version 2.0 will fix this problem but that will mean a new MoBo or a add
> on card..

I didn't notice any problems with it as usb but the pain was
that nt4 and linux don't support it. Given there is a
ps2rate program I guess ps/2 makes more sense.

--
Andrew Crawford

Waylon Kenning

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
Stardate Mon, 24 Apr 2000 17:37:46 +1200. We were approaching
nz.comp, in sector four, when the leader of Aiur,"dementer"
<deme...@ihug.co.nz> , warned me...

>I -don't- want to have to deal with my increasing intemitent mouse anymore!
>Any recomendations?

I was so lucky with my mouse. Try looking for a XNTech 800dpi High
Resolution Mouse. It uses a really tiny mouse pad, but it's still
great, has a mouse wheel, is accurate, and for me, free.

Some guy is Alt.games.starcraft WAS giving them away, and he sent one
to me. By Airmail. For free. =p
--
Waylon Kenning

"Things are looking bad...Satan just sold his soul to Bill Gates."

Chrissy R

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
"The KIWI ŠŽ" <rog...@clear.net.nz> wrote in message
> Chrissy R wrote:
>
> >"The KIWI ŠŽ" wrote

> >> A Stack of MVP do not reckon to use it as a USB mouse as the
USB
> >version
> >> 1.1 does not multitask very well but it works OK as a PS2 mouse..
> >>
> >> USB version 2.0 will fix this problem but that will mean a new
MoBo
> >or a add
> >> on card..
> >
> >And if an MVP says it, it must be correct.
>
> No ITS A KNOW FACT THAT USB 1.1 DOES NOT MULTITASK to well
> CAN YOU READ THIS..??
>

> Also Please Grow up you post had no value in this Group..

And yours does?

I have about 50 e-mails from MVPs and friends of MVPs saying that I
had no right correcting one of them when they were wrong. Most of
there e-mails were abusive. The MVP that they were defending actually
e-mailed me and thanked me for the correction and admitted that he
misunderstood the original poster's question and misunderstood the
Excel function that his advised as the solution. My post was simply
"Try this" followed by the function that would achieve the correct
results. The original poster has asked me to help with many problems
since as I always answer his questions better than the MVPs. The MVP
was wrong and I have at least 20 people from who I do not accept
e-mail because I got fed up with the abuse.

The e-mail from the MVP said the he apologised for his outburst as he
did not think that a girl (his word) could know something about Excel
that he did not know. I have, for the time been, stopped replying to
the MS groups and only answer private e-mails from Excel users around
the world.

John Smith

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
how do they go in fps games ?

Is the new optical one silver like the explorer or white .. hard to tell
from the pictures

wrote:

> >I am curently looking at a couple of options for a new mouse
> >
> >* the MS optical intellimouse explorer retails ~$150? (4 btns and wheel)
> >
> >* or the Logitech gameing mouse, about $100. going to trial it when store
> >gets it in
> >

> >I -don't- want to have to deal with my increasing intemitent mouse
anymore!
> >Any recomendations?
> >

> You are shopping at Rip off places I have seen the Explorer for $97, I
paid
> $109 for mine ..
>
> try www.pp.co.nz
>
> MS has a New version call the Optical its reviewed in the OZZ Mag PC
> PowerPlay May.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/products/hardware/mouse/optical.htm
>

> I am using the Explorer and I could not live with out it, no Ball is the
Only
> way to go..

Spider

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
I recommend the MS optical intellimouse standard (no extra buttons on the
side).

I play FPS games quite a bit and this has been great, and the added bonus is
the lack of a wheel to clean!

The explorer mouse buttons on the side tend to be a bit sensitive and are
really easy to knock during play.

Spider

dementer <deme...@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message

Stephen Williams

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00

John Smith <p...@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

> how do they go in fps games ?
>
> Is the new optical one silver like the explorer or white .. hard to tell
> from the pictures

It rules. The extra buttons and the sheer smoothness make it totally
unbeatable for FPS games. It is rather large though.

The explorer is silver, with a nice red glow under it :)

Stevve

Stephen Williams

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
> I recommend the MS optical intellimouse standard (no extra buttons on the
> side).
>
> I play FPS games quite a bit and this has been great, and the added bonus
is
> the lack of a wheel to clean!
>
> The explorer mouse buttons on the side tend to be a bit sensitive and are
> really easy to knock during play.
>
> Spider

Not everyone will have that problem, I sure don't. I use the buttons for
playing (I play TFC, the big button is jump and the small button is "Use",
that hardly ever gets used though). Basically, with 5 buttons on the mouse,
you don't need to use the keyboard as much.

The exploror is IMHO the best FPS mouse available.

Steve

dementer

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
Thanks all for your opinions. was very interested to know that the price
should be so much less. but then thats Big Buisness for u. Will try
Millenium Tech and see what I can get.

Anyone heard of the logitech gaming mouse? Aparently it has a steel ball and
is pretty much as indestructible as they come? Course there is the whole
ball vrs optical thing again, and honestly, i like the idea of an optical
better, but curiosity wins out because it comes so highly recomended. Im
gonna at least see what it looks like ;-)

"Stephen Williams" <Ste...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Craig Sutton

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00

> I am curently looking at a couple of options for a new mouse
>
> * the MS optical intellimouse explorer retails ~$150? (4 btns and wheel)
>
> * or the Logitech gameing mouse, about $100. going to trial it when store
> gets it in
>
> I -don't- want to have to deal with my increasing intemitent mouse
anymore!
> Any recomendations?

Atech 4d+ winbest mouse $50 from Ihug online store...
4 buttons 2 rollers..

Jerry

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00

"Stephen Williams" <Ste...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> The explorer is silver, with a nice red glow under it :)
>
> Stevve

Sounds like my ex-wife!

Jerry

Ray Greene

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 01:38:33 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
<sut...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

>Atech 4d+ winbest mouse $50 from Ihug online store...
>4 buttons 2 rollers..

Now that looks nice.

Does it have a ball, and does anyone know if there are Linux drivers
available for it?

Ray Greene.

Craig Sutton

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00

Ray Greene <ra...@es.co.nz> wrote in message
Yes it has a ball, i notice they have a cheaper model at $39
check the website.
http://www.a4tech.com/

Don't know about Linux but it says its compatible with the microsoft
intellimouse driver..

> Ray Greene.

ZipDisk©

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 01:38:33 +1200, "Craig Sutton" <sut...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

>dementer <deme...@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
>> I am curently looking at a couple of options for a new mouse
>>
>> * the MS optical intellimouse explorer retails ~$150? (4 btns and wheel)
>>
>> * or the Logitech gameing mouse, about $100. going to trial it when store
>> gets it in
>>
>> I -don't- want to have to deal with my increasing intemitent mouse
>anymore!
>> Any recomendations?
>>

>Atech 4d+ winbest mouse $50 from Ihug online store...
>4 buttons 2 rollers..

Yes but its still a crappy Ball type mouse go play with a MS Intellimouse
and see what you are missing..

Craig Sutton

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00

> >Atech 4d+ winbest mouse $50 from Ihug online store...
> >4 buttons 2 rollers..
> >

> Yes but its still a crappy Ball type mouse go play with a MS Intellimouse
> and see what you are missing..

KIWI not everyone can afford a $100 lickmymicrosftbutt intellimouse..wasn't
it you who was complaining (as usual) about the problems you had with your
one?

MarkH

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
In article <6258gsoij45cmafu0...@4ax.com>, The KIWI ┊ <rog...@clear.net.nz> wrote:
>No ITS A KNOW FACT THAT USB 1.1 DOES NOT MULTITASK to well
>CAN YOU READ THIS..??

Hey dude, no need to yell. I think people can understand that you are saying
that USB 1.1 is bad at multitasking. Of course you are incorrect, but we do
understand what you are saying.

>Also Please Grow up you post had no value in this Group..

This is a bit rich coming from someone who yells and has a tantrum when
completely wrong. Or if you you prefer ' a MCSE told me that you are wrong'

I am using several USB devices and are having no problems multitasking, and I
am using USB 1.1.

btw
I am using a USB keyboard, Intellimouse Explorer, USB Scanner, USB Printer &
USB zip drive.

My E-Mail address is:
gigatech at bigfoot dot com
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of
the precipitate

ZipDisk©

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00

It seems you have me confused with some one else...

ZipDisk©

Craig Sutton

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00

> >> Yes but its still a crappy Ball type mouse go play with a MS
Intellimouse
> >> and see what you are missing..
> >>
> >KIWI not everyone can afford a $100 lickmymicrosftbutt
intellimouse..wasn't
> >it you who was complaining (as usual) about the problems you had with
your
> >one?
> >

> Never mind your confusion but the Problem with the MS has been fixed so
why
> post a stupid reply with out all the facts or is it you are so jealous
that I
> have one..?

There is such a thing as choice you know he asked for peoples suggestions as
to a good new mouse I suggested one, there was no mention of "mouse must be
ball less type" the mouse i suggested is a very good one and is half the
price it may be better suited to what he needs and like I said above not
everyone can afford $100 for the microsoft mouse. Sure the microsoft mice
are good but he may want something that costs less.

I wonder if he has made his choice yet..maybe he will do a followup post.

Jerry

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00

<rog...@clear.net.nz> wrote:
> >No ITS A KNOW FACT THAT USB 1.1 DOES NOT MULTITASK to well
> >CAN YOU READ THIS..??
>
> Hey dude, no need to yell. I think people can understand that you
are saying
> that USB 1.1 is bad at multitasking. Of course you are incorrect,
but we do
> understand what you are saying.
>
> >Also Please Grow up you post had no value in this Group..
>
> This is a bit rich coming from someone who yells and has a tantrum
when
> completely wrong. Or if you you prefer ' a MCSE told me that you
are wrong'

> I am using several USB devices and are having no problems
multitasking, and I
> am using USB 1.1.
>
> btw
> I am using a USB keyboard, Intellimouse Explorer, USB Scanner, USB
Printer &
> USB zip drive.

And here I was trying to locate my PS2 adapter that came with my
Intellimouse because Wojer said it wasn't working well. Do you mean I
don't need to?

Jerry

The Hobbit

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00

<rog...@clear.net.nz> wrote:
> >>No ITS A KNOW FACT THAT USB 1.1 DOES NOT MULTITASK to well
> >>CAN YOU READ THIS..??
> >
> >Hey dude, no need to yell. I think people can understand that you are
saying
> >that USB 1.1 is bad at multitasking. Of course you are incorrect, but we
do
> >understand what you are saying.
>

> Please read and say sorry...!!
>
> 2). Is this plugged into the USB port? If so, it is normal, and the
> workaround would be to use the PS/2 port instead. It's not a problem with
> the mouse, rather a problem with the way PCI handles USB timing. This I'm
> told will be fixed in the next USB revision (USB 2?)
>
> ---
> Eric Chew, MVP
> Microsoft Hardware Products
<Snip>

And yet Marks experience shows the mice + other USB devices work fine for
him.
My suggestion to dementer is to try it on USB or PS/2 (assuming both ports
are on your PC) and switch if necessary. And before you start up at me KIWI
I've been in the industry for many many moons, built literally thousands of
PCs and have a bunch of friends still in the HW side of the industry with
all the A+'s MCSE's and other funky letters that seem to impress you. They
suggest the same plan of attack - try it, if it doesn't work adequately
switch ports if it still give you grief take it back or call the retailer
for assistance.

For the record I use a USB Zip and CDR + USB mouse on my Notebook as my PS/2
port is used by an external KB - no problems here either.

DuncanMcC

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
In article <e1lagsom8acpvq4ft...@4ax.com>,
ZipDisk咖yahoo.com says...

> On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 01:38:33 +1200, "Craig Sutton" <sut...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
>

> >dementer <deme...@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> >> I am curently looking at a couple of options for a new mouse
> >>
> >> * the MS optical intellimouse explorer retails ~$150? (4 btns and wheel)
> >>
> >> * or the Logitech gameing mouse, about $100. going to trial it when store
> >> gets it in
> >>
> >> I -don't- want to have to deal with my increasing intemitent mouse
> >anymore!
> >> Any recomendations?
> >>

> >Atech 4d+ winbest mouse $50 from Ihug online store...
> >4 buttons 2 rollers..
> >

> Yes but its still a crappy Ball type mouse go play with a MS Intellimouse
> and see what you are missing..

you mean an Optimouse, I'm sure.

--
Regards Duncan
(remove nosmeggingspam to reply email)

A v a t a r

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 17:02:40 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
<sut...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

>There is such a thing as choice you know he asked for peoples suggestions as
>to a good new mouse I suggested one, there was no mention of "mouse must be
>ball less type" the mouse i suggested is a very good one and is half the
>price it may be better suited to what he needs and like I said above not
>everyone can afford $100 for the microsoft mouse. Sure the microsoft mice
>are good but he may want something that costs less.
>
>I wonder if he has made his choice yet..maybe he will do a followup post.

I have owned BOTH of these mouses (the 4d+ and the ms one), and can
say that they are both excellent mouses. The MS one takes the prize
though - it is very good, and even better now that I have modified it.

Avatar.

--
*Email:* corum.usenet@apexmail . Note: you must add .com to the end for this to work. No timewasters.

*All my comments are "In my Opinion", unless otherwise stated. All trademarks, copyrights, etc. remain property of their owners. E&OE.

Frank Pitt

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
Two questions and a suggestion on this.

1) What the heck is an MVP and why should anyone care what it thinks ?

2) Why is there so much hype over such an expensive optical mouse ?
I've been using one for years, and it certainly didn't cost me anywhere
near $100.
About $20 IIRC, though that was from a wholesaler.

3) dementer, if your mouse is intermittient, have you tried cleaning the
fluff of the rollers or if it's the buttons that are intermitent, replacing
the microswitch under the button ?

Frankie

Jerry

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00

"A v a t a r" <A.v.@.t.a.r> wrote in message

> I have owned BOTH of these mouses (the 4d+ and the ms one), and can
> say that they are both excellent mouses. The MS one takes the prize
> though - it is very good, and even better now that I have modified
it.

How?

Jerry

Jerry

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00

"DuncanMcC" <Dun...@Adrock.nosmeggingspam.com> wrote in message
> In article <e1lagsom8acpvq4ft...@4ax.com>,

> > Yes but its still a crappy Ball type mouse go play with a MS
Intellimouse
> > and see what you are missing..
>
> you mean an Optimouse, I'm sure.

Nope - it's an Intellimouse, with IntelliEye Optical Technology. The
word Optimouse doesn't appear on the mouse or the box.

Jerry

Patrick Ford

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
The KIWI ŠŽ wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 12:58:29 +1200, "Frank Pitt" <fra...@bogus.softed.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Two questions and a suggestion on this.
> >
> >1) What the heck is an MVP and why should anyone care what it thinks ?
>

> Because he is a Microsoft rep and helps people out with problems and facts..

Do they get a choice of which he gives them? Or do they have to accept
both?
--
+ =================================+
|| Patrick Ford
|| Auckland,
|| Gnaw Thighland, NZ
+ =================================+

Chrissy R

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
An MVP is not a Microsoft rep. An MVP is an 'Most Valued
Professional' and is a person who helps people with a Microsoft
product and who has experience in the product.

They are

Microsoft MVPs are professionals who voluntarily give of their
expertise to enhance the online experience and technical skills of
others.

Look at http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/
and http://mvps.org/

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
+ + + + C h r i s s y + + + +

The KIWI ŠŽ wrote
> Frank Pitt wote:

> >Two questions and a suggestion on this.
> >
> >1) What the heck is an MVP and why should anyone care what it
thinks ?

> Because he is a Microsoft rep and helps people out with problems and
facts..

<<snip>>

A v a t a r

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:55:58 +1200, "Jerry" <sto...@heaven.net.nz>
wrote:

I replaced the feet i used with drawing pin heads with the spike
removed - leaving just a metal dome.

For a mouse pad, I use a cheap New world formica chopping board, which
has a very hard surface. Make sure it has a pattern on it that the
optical sensor can use...

The result of these two hard surfaces being in contact like this is a
reduction in friction to practically zero. The mouse glides
effortlessly. It makes a real difference.

Chrissy R

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00
My mouse pad is the best that I have seen. It is glass and is not
breakable - I accidentally tested it once. It is called the 'The
Rapid Rodent'. I got it from The Hard Disk Cafe in Royal Oak but I
don't know if they still exist. It does not have a pattern suitable
for an optical mouse but it could be modified.

A few years ago I had a number of optical mice. 1994 I think it was.
They were for our Sun Workstations. It was the worst mouse that I
have ever used. Has anyone tried these old Sun optical mice and the
new ones that everyone is raving about? If you have could you post a
comparison.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
+ + + + C h r i s s y + + + +

"A v a t a r" <A.v.@.t.a.r> wrote in message

Frank Pitt

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00

> On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 12:58:29 +1200, "Frank Pitt" <fra...@bogus.softed.com>
> wrote:
> >2) Why is there so much hype over such an expensive optical mouse ?
> > I've been using one for years, and it certainly didn't cost me
anywhere
> > near $100.
>
> Sorry you are not on the right wave length these have just come out NO
Ball..

I repeat, I have been using an optical mouse _with_no_ball_ for many years,
that cost me around $20, why would I want one that costs that much ?

Optical mice were available for higher end systems way back in the
mid-eighties at least.

PC optical mice came out at the end of the eighties/beginning of the
nineties.

Frankie

Frank Pitt

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00

"Chrissy R" wrote in message

> They are
>
> Microsoft MVPs are professionals who voluntarily give of their
> expertise to enhance the online experience and technical skills of
> others.

Well, if that's the definition , I must be one too !
<grin>

Thanks for the details, Chrissy.

Frankie

Dean Shaw

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00
> A few years ago I had a number of optical mice. 1994 I think it was.
> They were for our Sun Workstations. It was the worst mouse that I
> have ever used. Has anyone tried these old Sun optical mice and the
> new ones that everyone is raving about? If you have could you post a
> comparison.
>
> --
> /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
> + + + + C h r i s s y + + + +
> \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
The opitcal mice on the SUN systems had to have a special mouse pad and
even if that mouse pad was not on the right angle compared to the mouse it
wouldn't work properally. The new MS mice work on almost all surfaces as
well as a normal mouse, and not cleaning of the rubber ball!

David Jenkins

Apr 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/29/00
No contest! Go for an optical mouse, tracks accurately first time every
time, no skipping, no cleaning, no mouse pad, etc etc etc

Jerry

Apr 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/29/00

"A v a t a r" <A.v.@.t.a.r> wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:55:58 +1200, "Jerry" <sto...@heaven.net.nz>
> wrote:
>

> >"A v a t a r" <A.v.@.t.a.r> wrote in message
> >> I have owned BOTH of these mouses (the 4d+ and the ms one), and
can
> >> say that they are both excellent mouses. The MS one takes the
prize
> >> though - it is very good, and even better now that I have
modified
> >> it.
> >
> >How?
>
> I replaced the feet i used with drawing pin heads with the spike
> removed - leaving just a metal dome.
>
> For a mouse pad, I use a cheap New world formica chopping board,
which
> has a very hard surface. Make sure it has a pattern on it that the
> optical sensor can use...
>
> The result of these two hard surfaces being in contact like this is
> reduction in friction to practically zero. The mouse glides
> effortlessly. It makes a real difference.

Hmmm - I like it the way it is, but now I guess I'll have to play with
it some. It seems a bit scratchy with the factory surfaces ( I
suppose they're Teflon or something)

It seems to work on damn near any surface - even a sheet of copy
paper. Glass doesn't work very well at all, probably because the
reflections are coming back to the mouse at funny multiple angles.

It's the best thing that MS has done, and they even forgot to include
the BSOD.

Jerry

A v a t a r

Apr 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/30/00
On Fri, 28 Apr 2000 00:50:21 +1200, "Chrissy R" <C...@home.gen.nz>
wrote:

I think glass would tend to scratch with the metal feet.

>A few years ago I had a number of optical mice. 1994 I think it was.
>They were for our Sun Workstations. It was the worst mouse that I
>have ever used. Has anyone tried these old Sun optical mice and the
>new ones that everyone is raving about? If you have could you post a
>comparison.

They are two completely different beasts, operating on completely
different principals.

Chrissy R

Apr 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/30/00
A v a t a r wrote

> On Fri, 28 Apr 2000 00:50:21 +1200, "Chrissy R" <C...@home.gen.nz>
> wrote:
>
> I think glass would tend to scratch with the metal feet.

My glass mouse pad have not scratched. I have given it a tough life
and have even dropped it on concrete - it was a annident - and it is a
good as the day I purchased it sometime in 1994 or 1995.

> >A few years ago I had a number of optical mice. 1994 I think it
was.
> >They were for our Sun Workstations. It was the worst mouse that I
> >have ever used. Has anyone tried these old Sun optical mice and
the
> >new ones that everyone is raving about? If you have could you post
> >comparison.

> They are two completely different beasts, operating on completely
> different principals.

That's what I was asking about. What are the differences? I realise
there must be some rather major differences because the Sun optical
mouse was so bad that it could not have evolved into the MS optical
mouse about which people here are raving. I'd just like, from someone
who has used both, a comparison.

A v a t a r

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
On Sat, 29 Apr 2000 20:53:27 +1200, "Jerry" <sto...@heaven.net.nz>
wrote:

>Hmmm - I like it the way it is, but now I guess I'll have to play with
>it some. It seems a bit scratchy with the factory surfaces ( I
>suppose they're Teflon or something)

:)

I previously was using a warehouse plastic chopping board. It was
good, but not as good as what I have now. The warehouse plastic
chopping board is still THE BEST for a ball-mouse though. Throw away
any of those stupid mouse pads you might have - including the 3m
precision mousing surface - and get yourself the textured green
warehouse chopping board for $10.

Do not bother trying to smooth it off - I did that, and it was a waste
of time. The mouse actually seemed to STICK to it then. Textured is
best.

I don't think the translucent white ones will work well.

But for the intellieye mouses - replace the feet with hard metal, and
use a formica chopping board. REAL good. And Real Easy to clean. A
little noisier - but not bad.

>It seems to work on damn near any surface - even a sheet of copy
>paper.

Palm of your hand...

>Glass doesn't work very well at all, probably because the
>reflections are coming back to the mouse at funny multiple angles.

Yes, probably.

>It's the best thing that MS has done, and they even forgot to include
>the BSOD.

Don't count your chickens...

What I would like is the resolution of the Razer Boomslang 2000
(2000dpi) AND the intellieye. A friend has the Razer, and it's a ball
mouse - but REAL nice and accurate. $200 though... And like all ball
mouses, it likes to skip and so on.

A v a t a r

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
On Sun, 30 Apr 2000 21:40:30 +1200, "Chrissy R" <C...@home.gen.nz>
wrote:

>My glass mouse pad have not scratched. I have given it a tough life

>and have even dropped it on concrete - it was a annident - and it is a
>good as the day I purchased it sometime in 1994 or 1995.

I might have to try it sometime.

>That's what I was asking about. What are the differences? I realise
>there must be some rather major differences because the Sun optical
>mouse was so bad that it could not have evolved into the MS optical
>mouse about which people here are raving. I'd just like, from someone
>who has used both, a comparison.

I have had both the normal optical and the ms one.

The traditional optical mouse works via small optical sensors that are
only capable of detecting light and dark in very high contrast. Some
of the more primitive designs did not even allow you to change the
orientation of the mouse.

The intellieye digitises the surface of the mouse pad 50 times a
second (or somthing), and uses it's 20 MIPS cpu to calculate the
direction of movement. It'll work on any surface that is not
reflective. Including your hand.

Chrissy R

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
Thank you for that explanation, it is just what I wanted. The main
comments that I get about my mouse pad are "it's cool" and "it's
cute". All I can say about it is that I'd have to replace it if I
ever lost/damaged it.

The Sun optical mouse that I had worked on most surfaces that had a
texture i.e., my jeans. wood that had a grain and paper that had
writing on it. It would not work on blank paper. I hated the Sun
mouse but it seems different enough to the optical MS one that I would
like to it unfortunately I have just purchased a Logitech Ergonomic
Cordless iTouch mouse and keyboard. The kb is smaller than my old MS
natural one but a lot lighter and is not tied to anything so I like it
and the shape of the mouse is almost perfect so I cannot justify
changing either right now.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
+ + + + C h r i s s y + + + +

A v a t a r wrote

A v a t a r

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
On Mon, 1 May 2000 19:23:42 +1200, "Chrissy R" <C...@home.gen.nz> wrote:

>Thank you for that explanation, it is just what I wanted. The main
>comments that I get about my mouse pad are "it's cool" and "it's
>cute". All I can say about it is that I'd have to replace it if I
>ever lost/damaged it.
>
>The Sun optical mouse that I had worked on most surfaces that had a
>texture i.e., my jeans. wood that had a grain and paper that had
>writing on it. It would not work on blank paper. I hated the Sun
>mouse but it seems different enough to the optical MS one that I would
>like to it unfortunately I have just purchased a Logitech Ergonomic
>Cordless iTouch mouse and keyboard. The kb is smaller than my old MS
>natural one but a lot lighter and is not tied to anything so I like it
>and the shape of the mouse is almost perfect so I cannot justify
>changing either right now.

Fair enough :)