EDGE Fake cache examples/ Re-Marked CPU's

Vigilant

Mar 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/23/96
The following has been reported on an inspection of motherboards supplied by
EDGE Computer.
All have been checked and no L2 cache was on any of them. Sample 'cache'
chips were destructively tested and shown to be only plastic. Chips marked
only 'WRITEBACK' were soldered in place: all the others were socketed.

RE-MARKED CPU's. It is reported that CPU's which had were labeled as AMD
DX4/100 had handwritten erasures of the 100 and a re-marking them as
DX2/80's! When these CPU's were put into new TMC motherboards they shorted
the socket. They worked in a WSA2 SOYO board as marked. Has any one come
across any of these from EDGE. What did they start their life as? Several
sources report that EDGE was 're-powering' DX2/66 CPU's and re-marking them
as DX4/100's. Are they genuine AMD CPU's?

EXAMPLES OF FAKE CACHE on motherboards supplied by EDGE Computer during 1995:
(The date of sale is that of the re-seller to the end user.)
In every case the BIOS reported on the system device table that 256K cache
was present.

Date sold: 8/7/95
Chipset: UM8881/8886A
Fake cache markings: TS 61C256AH -15 9432
Pages 7-8 manual missing

Date sold: October 95
Chipset: UM8881
Fake cache markings: TS612
BIOS startup message: 486PCI WITH WRITE BACK SRAM
Startup reports: L2 CACHE MODE WRITE BACK CACHE ON

Date sold: Sept 95
Chipset: UM8886AF
Fake cache markings: M14356A 9510TBQ
BIOS startup message: WRITE BACK CACHE ON

Chipset: UM8881
Fake cache markings: T516C
BIOS startup message: WRITE BACK CACHE ON

Date sold: 28/5/95
Chipset: UM8886AF
Fake cache markings: WRITE BACK CACHE
BIOS startup message: L2 CACHE MODE WR-BACK
L1 CACHE MODE WR-THRU

Date sold: 1/7/95
Chipset: UM8886AF
Fake cache markings: TTS TS61C256AH-15
BIOS startup message: WRITE BACK CACHE ON

Date sold: 8/7/95
Chipset: UMC8886AF
Fake cache markings: TTS TS61C256AH-15 9432 (X9)
BIOS startup message: 486 PCI MB WITH WRITEBACK SRAM
Other: EPROM BIOS with letter 'T' & open erase window.

Date sold: JULY 95
Chipset: UMC8886
Fake cache markings: AS2C256-15 (X9)
BIOS startup message:
Other: EPROM BIOS with letter 'T' & open erase window.

Date sold: 9/6/95
Chipset: UMC8886AF
Fake cache markings: WRITE BACK / M14356-A / 9510TBQ (X9)

Date sold: 3/6/95
Chipset: UMC8886AF
Fake cache markings: WRITEBACK CACHE/M14356J-A/9510TBQ (X9)
BIOS startup message: WRITE BACK CACHE ON

Date sold: 5/7/95
Chipset: UMC8886
Fake cache markings: AA26256-15 (X9)
Other: EPROM BIOS with letter 'T' & open erase window.

Date sold: 17/10/95
Chipset: UMC8886
Fake cache markings: AS 26256AK-15/ 9451
BIOS startup message: 486 PCI MB WITH WRITEBACK SRAM
Other: EPROM BIOS with letter 'T' & open erase window.

Date sold: 2/9/95
Chipset: UMC8886
Fake cache markings: AA26256AK-15 9515
Other: EPROM BIOS with letter 'T' & open erase window.

Date sold: 28/8/95
Chipset: UMC8881
Fake cache markings: AS26256AK-15 9451
Other: SUSPECT CPU HANDWRITTEN ALTERATIONS ON IT.
EPROM BIOS with letter 'T' & open erase window.

Date sold: 2/9/95
Chipset: UMC8886
Fake cache markings: AS26256AK-15 9451
Other: BLEW NEW Chipset QUESTIONABLE CPU
EPROM BIOS with letter 'T' & open erase window.

Date sold: 30/6/95
Chipset:
Fake cache markings: TTS TS61C256AH-15 9432
BIOS startup message: 486PCI Chipset WITH WRITEBACK SRAM
Other: EPROM BIOS with letter 'T' & open erase window.

Date sold: 2/8/95
Chipset: UM8881
BIOS startup message: 486 PCI Chipset WITH WRITE BACK SRAM
Other: EPROM BIOS with letter 'T' & open erase window. NO pp. 7-8 in
manual.

Date sold: 21/3/95
Chipset: UMC8886
Fake cache markings: AS26256AK-15 9451 X9
Other: EPROM BIOS with letter 'T' & open erase window.

Date sold: May 95
Chipset: UM8881F
BIOS startup message: WRITE BACK CACHE ON

Date sold: JUNE 95
Chipset: UMC8886AF
Fake cache markings: WRITEBACK/M14356-A/9510TBQ
BIOS startup message: WRITEBACK CACHE ON

Vigilant

--****ATTENTION****--****ATTENTION****--****ATTENTION****--***ATTENTION***
Your e-mail reply to this message WILL be *automatically* ANONYMIZED.
Please, report inappropriate use to ab...@anon.penet.fi
For information (incl. non-anon reply) write to he...@anon.penet.fi
If you have any problems, address them to ad...@anon.penet.fi

Vigilant

Mar 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/24/96

Andrew Chambers

Mar 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/25/96
>>Lots of stuff deleted

Regarding the 15 nanosecond Ram, its my understanding such Ram does exist. My
Edge (which luckily has a Kaiyo motherboard) has 15 ns Dynamicache, of course
what they don't tell you is that 8 megs dynamicache cant be set to work
quickly with 8 megs 70 ns ram ;-(

Perhaps someone had spare 15 nanosecond dynamicache chips lying around... ?

Philip Neeson

Mar 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/26/96
In article <040328Z...@anon.penet.fi>,

Vigilant <an55...@anon.penet.fi> wrote:
> The following has been reported on an inspection of motherboards supplied by
> EDGE Computer.
>
> Chipset: UM8881
> Fake cache markings: T516C
> BIOS startup message: WRITE BACK CACHE ON
>
> Vigilant

Again unless you come-out from under anon. mail nobody can take you
seriously.. Unless we know where you got these 'facts' from and more to
the point you TRUE motive, we can't respect any of this...

Philip

--
Philip Neeson. Internet:pne...@actrix.gen.nz
P.O. Box 51-056. Phone/Voice Mail: +64 4 2325520

Derek Tearne

Mar 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/27/96
In article <4j81vs$9...@atlantis.atlantis.actrix.gen.nz>,

Philip Neeson <pne...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

>Again unless you come-out from under anon. mail nobody can take you
>seriously.. Unless we know where you got these 'facts' from and more to
>the point you TRUE motive, we can't respect any of this...

The anonymous re-mailer concept was started to allow people who couldn't
post under their real names/addresses (because of political, physical
or other danger such as job loss) to bring important issues into the
public arena.

If this information is correct then it is most likely to have come to
light during investigations for either the commerce commission or
some community protection organisation/publication. As such if the
information is genuine of course the poster would wish to remain
anonymous to protect either themselves, their parent organisation
or the source of their information.

Now, whether or not this information is genuine is another matter - it
could be Edge's competition trying to put them in a bad light. Just
like any information on the net one has to make ones own mind up about
its worth.

Whatever - based on the experience of my partner who has had so many
on-going problems with her edge computer over the last just over a year
I would definately urge caution before buying one of their products.

--
Derek Tearne. -- http://webservices.comp.vuw.ac.nz/artsLink/ManyHands/
Some of the more environmentally aware dinosaurs were worried about the

Doug Cooke

Mar 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/27/96
In article <4j9nia$4...@nezsdc.fujitsu.co.nz>, de...@nezsdc.fujitsu.co.nz (Derek Tearne) says:

>In article <4j81vs$9...@atlantis.atlantis.actrix.gen.nz>,
>Philip Neeson <pne...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
>>
>>Again unless you come-out from under anon. mail nobody can take you
>>seriously.. Unless we know where you got these 'facts' from and more to
>>the point you TRUE motive, we can't respect any of this...

As a small reseller of EDGE equimpent I can't agree more...

>The anonymous re-mailer concept was started to allow people who couldn't
>post under their real names/addresses (because of political, physical
>or other danger such as job loss) to bring important issues into the
>public arena.
>

>Now, whether or not this information is genuine is another matter - it
>could be Edge's competition trying to put them in a bad light. Just
>like any information on the net one has to make ones own mind up about
>its worth.
>
>Whatever - based on the experience of my partner who has had so many
>on-going problems with her edge computer over the last just over a year
>I would definately urge caution before buying one of their products.

We check every machine before we supply to our customer all computers supplied from EDGE.

Any problems found we sort out before the customer receives the machine.

To date the only problems found have been through faulty assembly, faulty RAM,
Noisy fans, monitors which need alignment etc. - All quickly cured.

QC is not something they appear to be good at - so we provide that important function.

As a result we do not have problems with machines once sold.

If you are having problems with your EDGE computer, We are happy to look at it,
obviously at our normal hourly rate. Otherwise take it back to your supplier and
get it fixed.

From Dynamic Applications
Ph 09-815-2299 or 025-978-121

Steve Withers

Mar 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/28/96
In <4j9nia$4...@nezsdc.fujitsu.co.nz>, de...@nezsdc.fujitsu.co.nz (Derek Tearne) writes:
>In article <4j81vs$9...@atlantis.atlantis.actrix.gen.nz>,
>Philip Neeson <pne...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
>>
>>Again unless you come-out from under anon. mail nobody can take you
>>seriously.. Unless we know where you got these 'facts' from and more to
>>the point you TRUE motive, we can't respect any of this...
>
>The anonymous re-mailer concept was started to allow people who couldn't
>post under their real names/addresses (because of political, physical
>or other danger such as job loss) to bring important issues into the
>public arena.

In practice it is used to abuse/harrass others without getting caught.

I've seen more than enough garbage and crime commited via the
anon gateways to convince me that people who can't put their names
on mail or posts deserve to be ignored.

Steve

Bill Allan

Mar 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/30/96
de...@nezsdc.fujitsu.co.nz (Derek Tearne) wrote:

>In article <4j81vs$9...@atlantis.atlantis.actrix.gen.nz>,
>Philip Neeson <pne...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
>>
>>Again unless you come-out from under anon. mail nobody can take you
>>seriously.. Unless we know where you got these 'facts' from and more to
>>the point you TRUE motive, we can't respect any of this...
>
>The anonymous re-mailer concept was started to allow people who couldn't
>post under their real names/addresses (because of political, physical
>or other danger such as job loss) to bring important issues into the
>public arena.
>

>If this information is correct then it is most likely to have come to
>light during investigations for either the commerce commission or
>some community protection organisation/publication. As such if the
>information is genuine of course the poster would wish to remain
>anonymous to protect either themselves, their parent organisation
>or the source of their information.
>

>Now, whether or not this information is genuine is another matter - it
>could be Edge's competition trying to put them in a bad light. Just
>like any information on the net one has to make ones own mind up about
>its worth.
>
>Whatever - based on the experience of my partner who has had so many
>on-going problems with her edge computer over the last just over a year
>I would definately urge caution before buying one of their products.

I, unknowingly, purchased one of Edges virtual cache mother boards,
when comparing Benchmarks with a friends similar type setup there was
a large discrepancy in performance of my machine and detailed
investigation with various system anna lysis type programs nailed it
down to the lack of any L2 cache also on boot up it gave the infamous
"Write Back caching Enabled" I took the mother board back to the
retailer along with a print out of the benchmark comparisons they in
turn sent the board back to Edge who immediately replaced it with a
new Mother Board with working cache and has similar performance spec's
to the one belonging to my friend. This to me suggests that Edge
itself acknowledges that there is a problem with some of MB's they
supplied.
BTW I purchased the board in April 1995 It was, according to the
manual which I still have, an 80486 Deep Green Mother Board.

Cheers Bill A..

Tony Vale

Mar 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/31/96
Philip Neeson wrote:

> In article <040328Z...@anon.penet.fi>,
> Vigilant <an55...@anon.penet.fi> wrote:
> > The following has been reported on an inspection of motherboards supplied by
> > EDGE Computer.
> >
> > Chipset: UM8881
> > Fake cache markings: T516C
> > BIOS startup message: WRITE BACK CACHE ON
> >
> > Vigilant

> Again unless you come-out from under anon. mail nobody can take you
> seriously.. Unless we know where you got these 'facts' from and more to
> the point you TRUE motive, we can't respect any of this...
>
> Philip
>
> --
> Philip Neeson. Internet:pne...@actrix.gen.nz
> P.O. Box 51-056. Phone/Voice Mail: +64 4 2325520
> Wellington. New Zealand. Work:sy...@tawacol.school.nz
> Mobile: 025 505 964 Http://watch.this.space/here-soon/

Hi Philip

Just a little info if you don't mind. How do get the link to your
homepage to be sent with every email message. I am trying to set it up
on my email messages.

thanks

Tony

Scooter Dowle

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
jo...@mexpress.uu.gen.nz (John L Coates) writes:

> >The anonymous re-mailer concept was started to allow people who couldn't
> >post under their real names/addresses (because of political, physical
> >or other danger such as job loss) to bring important issues into the
> >public arena.
>

>Steve Withers replies:
>
> st> In practice it is used to abuse/harrass others without getting
>caught.
>
> st> I've seen more than enough garbage and crime commited via the
> st> anon gateways to convince me that people who can't put their names
> st> on mail or posts deserve to be ignored.
>

>Getting more like parliamentary privilege every day.
Is that a yes or a no?
Scooter