Google Groups is ending support for Usenet in February 2024

Ralph Fox

Dec 14, 2023, 11:02:24 PM12/14/23

Google Groups will be ending support for Usenet in February 2024.

<https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538>

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups
    (at groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe
    to Usenet groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to
    view and search for historical Usenet content posted before
    February 22, 2024 on Google Groups.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The good news:
* In a couple of months we will no longer need to filter spam from
Google Groups.
* The Google groups archive will remain for older posts up to 22 Feb
2024.

The bad news (for some):
* For those who use Google Groups to post to Usenet: You will need
to either stop posting, or use a real newsreader and news server.
* For those who use the Google Groups archive to find posts: Posts
after 22 Feb 2024 will not be archived.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

Time fleeth away without delay.

David Goodwin

Dec 22, 2023, 5:14:07 PM12/22/23
In article <ldinnipqg4ue284ac...@4ax.com>, -rf-nz-
@-.invalid says...
Well, one good thing has come of this at least (aside from an end date
for the recent spam tsunami): I've restored my news server from backups
and got everything going again in preparation for Google Groups going
away. And with an easy way of filtering out all the spam from Ras its
actually possible to read nz.* again! Should have done this sooner.

Going to be a shame to see the easily searchable usenet archives go away
though!

BungleBob

Dec 22, 2023, 6:53:53 PM12/22/23
Not as easily searchable, but there is
https://www.usenetarchives.com

David Goodwin

Dec 22, 2023, 8:30:07 PM12/22/23
In article <um57id$1op1i$1...@dont-email.me>, bung...@thejungle.com
says...
Yeah, found that yesterday - seems like a decent start, though its
missing some newsgroups and some recent stuff for those it does have.
But I imagine that's just because the people behind the site are working
on other things given most of the big usenet providers seem to have
everything back to ~2003 ready for archiving.

There is also narkive.com (eg, https://nz.comp.narkive.com/) - this has
been around for years but it is also not comprehensive. The person
behind it recently posted on news.admin.peering that they had plans for
improvements and had bought a cluster of servers to implement "pretty
much state of the art" searching but that work has been derailed by
other commitments (real work by the sounds of it).

I guess most archives are probably going to end up being pretty spotty
between 1991 (the end of the utzoo archive) and 2003 (about as far back
as most commercial providers go) unless Google is willing to hand their
archives off to someone else when they inevitably decide to stop hosting
it themselves.

Kerr Avon

Dec 22, 2023, 8:39:22 PM12/22/23
On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 17:02:16 +1300, Ralph Fox wrote:

> Google Groups will be ending support for Usenet in February 2024.

I'm please to read this, it seems to have been a source of a lot of SPAM
in recent times.

> The good news:
> * In a couple of months we will no longer need to filter spam from
> Google Groups.
> * The Google groups archive will remain for older posts up to 22 Feb
> 2024.

In the case of Agency News I ended up adding filtering to the incoming NNTP
feeds I peer with a few weeks back. Lordy there was a lot of SPAM coming
in. While I'm sad to have to implement such a blanket filter it became the
necessary thing to do.

I guess the Google Groups shutdown for newsgroups may well be related to
the minority of 'real' users on Usenet launching a complaints barrage to
Google about it?

> The bad news (for some):
> * For those who use Google Groups to post to Usenet: You will need
> to either stop posting, or use a real newsreader and news server.
> * For those who use the Google Groups archive to find posts: Posts
> after 22 Feb 2024 will not be archived.

Yep :)

--
Agency News | news.bbs.nz

Ralph Fox

Dec 22, 2023, 8:54:55 PM12/22/23
As I read Google's announcement, the existing easily searchable Usenet
archives will remain. But now new posts after 22 February 2024 will
be added to those archives.

How long the existing archives will remain is another question.

> Not as easily searchable, but there is
> https://www.usenetarchives.com

UsenetArchives.com is very badly incomplete. For example, comparing
what UsenetArchives.com has in nz.comp with the actual numbers of
posts (excluding Ras) in nz.comp ...

Time Range UsenetArchives.com Should be (excluding Ras)
----------- ------------------ -------------------------
2011-2012: 0 posts 8711 posts
2013: 4 posts 2312 posts
2014: 1 post 1305 posts
2015-today: 0 posts 2407 posts

UsenetArchives.com also does not let you see a post's headers.

Some other archives are:

NovaBBS -- <https://www.novabbs.com/>
* Limited number of groups.
* Some search capability.
* Up to date, within a few days.
* History/retention nowhere near as extensive as Google groups.
* Lets you see a posts's headers (check the box next to the "by:").

Narkive -- for example, nz.comp -> <https://nz.comp.narkive.com/>
* Large number of groups.
* No search capability AFAIK.
* Usually up to date, within a few days.
* Does not let you see a posts's headers AFAIK.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

They that have good store of butter may lay it thick on their bread.

David Goodwin

Dec 22, 2023, 9:18:06 PM12/22/23
In article <3ffcoip97hd90i6op...@4ax.com>, -rf-nz-
@-.invalid says...

> On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 12:53:49 +1300, BungleBob wrote:
> > On 2023-12-22 22:13:58 +0000, David Goodwin said:
> >

> >> Going to be a shame to see the easily searchable usenet archives go away
> >> though!
>
> As I read Google's announcement, the existing easily searchable Usenet
> archives will remain. But now new posts after 22 February 2024 will
> be added to those archives.
>
> How long the existing archives will remain is another question.

Which is really a bit of a concern. Stuff prior to 1995 Google got from
elsewhere (like the utzoo archives), while stuff from 2003 onwards is
available from lots of places. But AFAIK only really Deja/Google were
archiving all text newsgroups between 1995 and 2003 so if/when Google
eventually decides to remove usenet content entirely those archives are
gone for good unless Google donates them to somewhere like the IA.

And given the legal difficulties IA had simply having the utzoo archives
available for download I wouldn't be surprised if handing the archives
over to some other entity was more trouble than its worth for Google.

BungleBob

Dec 23, 2023, 12:26:19 AM12/23/23
UsenentArchives.com has posts going way back to alomst current.

For example, their nz.comp posts start in 1991 and go through to 2014.
I don't know how busy this newsgroup is usually (I haven't seen
anything in here for years), but they have 254 discussions / threads.

According to a Reddit post from three years ago:

"Usenet fans: UsenetArchives.com now includes UTZOO-Wiseman tapes
of the earliest internet posts made between Feb 1981 and June 1991"

<https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/j7ebxd/usenet_fans_usenetarchivescom_now_includes/>

Ralph Fox

Dec 23, 2023, 12:39:07 AM12/23/23
On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 14:39:20 +1300 (NZDT), Kerr Avon wrote:

> I guess the Google Groups shutdown for newsgroups may well be related to
> the minority of 'real' users on Usenet launching a complaints barrage to
> Google about it?

I might presume so.

OTOH Google's previous responses to a complaints barrage over spam from
Google Groups in a newsgroup has been to respond as if it means Google
needs to protect Google Groups users from spam originating in Usenet.
For example, this (below) happened in 2021 due to complaints about
upper-case-subject Italian-language spam originating from Google groups
in mozilla.support.seamonkey.

<https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.support.seamonkey>

     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                           Banned content warning
       mozilla.support.seamonkey has been identified as containing spam,
                    malware, or other malicious content.
     For more information about content policies on Google Groups see our
            Help Center article on abuse and our Terms of Service.
                             [ Back to safety ]
     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

David Goodwin

Dec 23, 2023, 2:00:07 AM12/23/23
In article <um5r1o$1v0v8$1...@dont-email.me>, bung...@thejungle.com
says...

> On 2023-12-23 02:18:16 +0000, David Goodwin said:
> > In article <3ffcoip97hd90i6op...@4ax.com>, -rf-nz-
> > @-.invalid says...

> >> As I read Google's announcement, the existing easily searchable Usenet
> >> archives will remain. But now new posts after 22 February 2024 will
> >> be added to those archives.
> >>
> >> How long the existing archives will remain is another question.
> >
> > Which is really a bit of a concern. Stuff prior to 1995 Google got from
> > elsewhere (like the utzoo archives), while stuff from 2003 onwards is
> > available from lots of places. But AFAIK only really Deja/Google were
> > archiving all text newsgroups between 1995 and 2003 so if/when Google
> > eventually decides to remove usenet content entirely those archives are
> > gone for good unless Google donates them to somewhere like the IA.
> >
> > And given the legal difficulties IA had simply having the utzoo archives
> > available for download I wouldn't be surprised if handing the archives
> > over to some other entity was more trouble than its worth for Google.
>
> UsenentArchives.com has posts going way back to alomst current.
>
> For example, their nz.comp posts start in 1991 and go through to 2014.
> I don't know how busy this newsgroup is usually (I haven't seen
> anything in here for years), but they have 254 discussions / threads.

They *should* have more recent stuff, but I think I read somewhere that
they are currently hiding threads with fewer than 5 articles to limit
the load crawlers put on the site. I guess that might explain why there
isn't anything post 2014 for this newsgroup.

> According to a Reddit post from three years ago:
>
> "Usenet fans: UsenetArchives.com now includes UTZOO-Wiseman tapes
> of the earliest internet posts made between Feb 1981 and June 1991"
>
> <https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/j7ebxd/usenet_fans_usenetarchivescom_now_includes/>

The utzoo archives have been floating around for about 20 years - pretty
much since shortly after Google acquired Deja and launched Google Groups
with usenet access. But I don't think they would contain much if
anything from nz.comp (too old). In fact, its surprising
usenetarchives.com has *anything* for nz.comp prior to ~2003. I wonder
who was archiving it in the 90s besides Deja and where the
usenetarchives.com guy found the archives!

Ralph Fox

Dec 23, 2023, 2:25:46 AM12/23/23
On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 19:59:18 +1300, David Goodwin wrote:
> In article <um5r1o$1v0v8$1...@dont-email.me>, bung...@thejungle.com
> says...
>>
>> UsenentArchives.com has posts going way back to alomst current.
>>
>> For example, their nz.comp posts start in 1991 and go through to 2014.
>> I don't know how busy this newsgroup is usually (I haven't seen
>> anything in here for years), but they have 254 discussions / threads.
>
> They *should* have more recent stuff, but I think I read somewhere that
> they are currently hiding threads with fewer than 5 articles to limit
> the load crawlers put on the site. I guess that might explain why there
> isn't anything post 2014 for this newsgroup.

There are enough threads with 5 or more posts in this newsgroup *after*
2014, to say "don't buy that excuse". For example, BungleBob's thread
"Why do companies make it so hard?? Part 97" started on 29 Nov 2022 has
9 posts in the thread.
REF: <https://nz.comp.narkive.com/8LiDbwdH/why-do-companies-make-it-so-hard-part-97>

Or this thread started 20 Jul 2022 which has 11 posts:
REF: <https://nz.comp.narkive.com/wpECz6Gu/why-do-companies-make-it-so-hard-part-2>

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

Idle folks lack no excuses.

Marco Moock

Dec 28, 2023, 6:26:11 AM12/28/23
That clearly show how braindead Google is.

That banner also affect other groups.
The only positive thing: Spammers can't abuse GG to spam in that group.