Unexpected DOS error

patricK fitzgeralD

Dec 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/22/98
I have got thie error message when loading a windows 3.1 program
under OS/2 "unexpected DOS error 23". Where can I find a list of
therse messages and theiur cure.

NTW how can it be an unexpected error if they have a number for it?

patricK

Colin Francis

Dec 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/22/98
patr...@netaccess.co.nz (patricK fitzgeralD) wrote:

Is there an "Expected erro" in Dos ??

Col..

Would prozac have stopped the great depression ??

Azures

Dec 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/22/98
In article <367f21ea...@207.126.101.100>, patricK fitzgeralD mumbled
something about...

>I have got thie error message when loading a windows 3.1 program
>under OS/2 "unexpected DOS error 23". Where can I find a list of
>therse messages and theiur cure.
>
>NTW how can it be an unexpected error if they have a number for it?

What version of os/2 are you running and what win3.1 program was it that you
where trying to run ?

patricK fitzgeralD

Dec 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/22/98
On Wed, 23 Dec 1998 02:17:43 +1300, "Tony Wicks"
<to...@removethisbit.tonyw.com> wrote:

>Ahh, so its you, I wondered who it was that was still using OS2 ;-)
>
>( as I quietly push the old OS2 Warp box further under the desk )

Yeah. But with not being able to run some programs I went to my
vendor to get W98. But he tell me windows is finshed and next year
micro$oft will be pushing us on to NT.

I am also going to look at linux

patricK

patricK fitzgeralD

Dec 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/22/98
On 22 Dec 1998 10:40:50 GMT, az...@sydney.crosswinds.net (Azures)
wrote:

>What version of os/2 are you running and what win3.1 program was it that you
>where trying to run ?

Warp - which I think is 3.0. I have had the problem with several
programs - ACDC was one of them

patricK

Tony Wicks

Dec 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/23/98
patricK fitzgeralD wrote in message <367f21ea...@207.126.101.100>...

>I have got thie error message when loading a windows 3.1 program
>under OS/2 "unexpected DOS error 23". Where can I find a list of
>therse messages and theiur cure.
>
>NTW how can it be an unexpected error if they have a number for it?
>
>patricK

dwp

Dec 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/23/98
Another one here Tony... 11 machines running OS/2 of various flavours; 24x7.

Tony Wicks wrote in message <91433282...@news.iconz.co.nz>...

dwp

Dec 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/23/98
From an old copy of DOS Programmers Reference..

Error 23 - CRC Error.

Sounds like the Win31 program may be trying to access the disk directly
(possibly some copy protection scheme in the install program).
OS/2 doesn't allow this.
The install program may be interpreting the error code returned as a CRC
error ?

Dave

Patrick Dunford

Dec 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/23/98
On Wed, 23 Dec 1998 13:43:20 +1300, "dwp" <in...@bootstrap.co.nz>
wrote:

>From an old copy of DOS Programmers Reference..
>
>Error 23 - CRC Error.

The same error code as Windows NT :)

>Sounds like the Win31 program may be trying to access the disk directly
>(possibly some copy protection scheme in the install program).
>OS/2 doesn't allow this.
>The install program may be interpreting the error code returned as a CRC
>error ?

Maybe there really is a CRC (data corruption?) problem

Patrick Dunford, ChristChurch, NZ
Posted using Free Agent 1.11 on Windows 3.1

patricK fitzgeralD

Dec 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/23/98
On Wed, 23 Dec 1998 06:42:33 GMT, pdun...@xtra.co.nz (Patrick
Dunford) wrote:

>Maybe there really is a CRC (data corruption?) problem

Unlikely as it has happened with sveral windoze progs I have
downloaded

patricK

Azures

Dec 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/24/98
In article <36816288...@207.126.101.100>, patricK fitzgeralD mumbled
something about...

IIRC That paticular error could possibly be caused by conflicting versions of
shared .dll files. As Os2 dosen't ask you to overwrite existing files, it is
possible they have been overwritten with an earlier version. Try reinstalling
a microsoft app such as powerpoint viewer.

ROBIN HINDE

Dec 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/24/98
patr...@netaccess.co.nz (patricK fitzgeralD) wrote:

PF>I have got thie error message when loading a windows 3.1 program
PF>under OS/2 "unexpected DOS error 23". Where can I find a list of
PF>therse messages and theiur cure.

In my experience, this error message is displayed when an attempt is
made to run a Win32 executable - are you certain it is a Win3.1 program
you are loading?

May also apply to Win32s (1.30) executables also; OS/2 can support up
to Win32s1.25, you need to install the support yourself - try Hobbes.

After Win32s1.25 IBM finally admitted defeat at MS tactics and gave up,
so support for Win32s1.30 is not available.

cheers

-=rjh=-
---
* OLX 2.1 TD * http://www.computers.org.nz (the NZPCA website)

Jeremy Bowen

Dec 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/28/98
robin...@nzpca.org.nz (ROBIN HINDE) writes:

> patr...@netaccess.co.nz (patricK fitzgeralD) wrote:
> PF>I have got thie error message when loading a windows 3.1 program
> PF>under OS/2 "unexpected DOS error 23". Where can I find a list of
> PF>therse messages and theiur cure.
>
> In my experience, this error message is displayed when an attempt is
> made to run a Win32 executable - are you certain it is a Win3.1 program
> you are loading?

Yes. Most likely a Win95 program.

> May also apply to Win32s (1.30) executables also; OS/2 can support up
> to Win32s1.25, you need to install the support yourself - try Hobbes.

You might be lucky and get it working with Win32s 1.25 but chances are
it will require Win32s 1.30 and you are out of luck.

> After Win32s1.25 IBM finally admitted defeat at MS tactics and gave up,
> so support for Win32s1.30 is not available.

*UNLESS* you try the Win32OS2 converter that converts Win95
executables and DLL's to OS/2 native programs. This is an ongoing
project to allow OS/2 users to run Win95 code.

They were up to v0.4 last time I looked

Check out: http://www.os2ss.com/win32-os2/

--
/-------------------------------------------------------------\ o@C>-
| Jeremy Bowen Jer...@clear.net.nz | __/___
| "It's a question of intelligence -- so your opinion has | {_XX_(_@=
| very little relevance" . . . Avon Blake's 7 | o@C>-

mleand...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2019, 8:48:25 PM10/14/19
Em terça-feira, 22 de dezembro de 1998 06:00:00 UTC-2, patricK fitzgeralD escreveu:
> I have got thie error message when loading a windows 3.1 program
> under OS/2 "unexpected DOS error 23". Where can I find a list of
> therse messages and theiur cure.
>
> NTW how can it be an unexpected error if they have a number for it?
>
> patricK

oi meu nome é jorge